Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Ethnocentrism. Is it a problem in Disco?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Especially considering we are an EU/US based community, but required to communicate in English.

Okay, so considering the few PMs I got on skype, I apparently need to explain the question a bit more:
Essentially, Ethnocentrism is like racism, only involving a specified nationality or culture group. What I am asking right now, is whether or not Disco has that problem right now as it is, considering we are a ''multicultured community'', while at the same time our monocles fall out whenever we learn that X group consist of Y-ains.
You're wrong. The community is mostly based in Antarctica.
If that is the case, why are we still discussing global warming? It is cold here.
The poles are melting
Where the polar bears gona live?????????????

About topic.
Kinda surprised, when an old space game and day to day thining community going to rise such question.
Also, why now? Nobody rly cared much about this, when we had 200/200 players on server and tons forumlancers.
Also again....Does it's realy matters, who are you (I mean nation wise), if your behavior is acceptable, you showing respect to other memebers of any community you are a part of, and stuff like that? Or I just misunderstood main question?
Sorry, I'm an Atlantean. Poc'lorash' Tayo-nahs.
Thanks for that information. I didn't know you straight-up possessed more knowledge on the matter that the entire scientific world combined. After all, they have yet to reach a consensus on this with opinions like yours being some of the less popular ones.

Oh and by the way, your facts are so horribly incorrect that it hurt my eyes to read them. While it's popular for people to claim vulcanoes produce more CO2 than the human populace in an attempt to convince everyone that human emissions are just fine, they in fact do not.

It's not very hard to look up that Icelandic vulcano's emissions, by the way. Somewhere between 150,000 and 300,000 tonnes of CO2 per day, according to something I looked up that looks like a halfway reliable source. That's 150-300 kilotonnes per day. So about 50000kt to 100000 kt per year were it to be a sort of constant output. Annual anthropogenic CO2-emissions for the entire world are/were sitting at 33615389kt. So if we roll with the (high) 100,000kt figure for the vulcano, it ends up producing 0.30% as much CO2 as the entire human populace.

Not quite the "as much as the entire human populace for 100 years" figure you ended up with.

Also why did I bother posting this?

TL;DR just because you read something on a shady conspiracy website with a bright yellow sketchy font on a black background doesn't mean it's true.

On topic: let's not use fancy terms for what you're trying say here, Spazzy. What you're trying to say is whether we should allow people to dislike Russian disco players because of previous interactions where said players proved unable or unwilling to speak English.

I don't think you're gonna stop that. In my own case my prejudices only got reinforced after torturing myself by playing doto with our far-ish-eastern neighbors.

cyka blyat
GLOBAL WARMING EXISTS

ITS CALLED GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE

IT HAPPENS NOW AND AGAIN, HUMAN CARBON CONTRIBUTION JUST PUSHED IT AHEAD A COUPLE CENTURIES

THIS ISNT A GLOBAL WARMING THREAD
It's probably also a bad idea to discuss things akin to racism on this forum.
Going back to the topic, it is not ethnocentrism. This is English-based comunity, because English became the most common language in the world. Servers of the forum says, if I am not wrong, that "knowing and understanding English language is the obligatory if you want to participate in the forum's life".

I can't recall how it is written, but basic knowledge on English is needed here, because it is roleplay server, on which we use English because of its universality now.

On the other hand I am just sligtly, but still, annoyed by the people, who joins here with not knowing English, what leads to the very awkward situations in game.
Pages: 1 2 3