Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Would a 4K freelancer work? [It does!: Images inside]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Noting the fact i might be getting a GTX 970/80, the possibility of this GPU running a game this old while showing it at 4K (Best alternative to AA in this damn game) be possible?

Would launchpad support it, would we be able to finally have a crisp fresh FL on a average PC monitor? [Resolved]

Would the swag pack be compatible with this godly resolution? [Resolved]

Can i finally get back to my studies instead of wasting time on this game?

Can i get ice cream? [Resolved]:http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=122940
1st. Little to absolutely no chance of running at that resolution.
Wikipedia Wrote:4K resolution, also called 4K2K, refers to a display device or content having horizontal resolution on the order of 4,000 pixels.[1] Several 4K resolutions exist in the fields of digital television and digital cinematography. In the movie projection industry, Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI) is the dominant 4K standard.

2nd. I have tried running Freelancer at higher resolutions than my laptop supports, such as 1920x1280 by simply typing in Discovery Launchpad ( my native resolution is 1366x768 and it is max ) and it would run but the letters were huge and I could notice extreme screen tearing.

I suggest not running or trying to do that as it would just look insane , and you are fine running at lower resolutions. Besides, you have to have a really good and expensive LED/LCD monitor or some kind of other HD thing, an extreme graphisc card, but having screen tear, huge letters and whatnot should be taken into consideration, as there is no way to compensate Freelancer's engine with that kind of resolution.

3rd. What ?

4th. Studying or playing video games is your sole decision, not ours.

5th. You have a store across the street.

Before you try anything crazy;

pcgamer.com Wrote:The future—aka 4K gaming—is made up of very, very small pixels. After spending the past two weeks checking out games on Samsung's U28D590D 4K monitor, I'm still going to call 4K gaming the near future rather than the present. Yes, you can play games at 3840x2160 pixels right now. Yes, 4K monitors are becoming more affordable. But are they worth it? After spending a couple weeks using one, I can comfortably say: no, not yet. Even for a high-end graphics card (or two), 4K is too demanding for max settings and high framerates. If you're willing to play at 30 frames per second, though, 4K is a different story.

At 3840x2160, the 28-inch Samsung U28D590D has a 157.35 PPI. As a result, games running at native resolution look sharp, even without anti-aliasing enabled. The pixel density really does make a difference. Remember, a 1920x1080 monitor creates an image out of 2,073,600 pixels. A 4K monitor displays 8,294,400 pixels. As a result, a graphics card has to push out four times as many pixels. Not even two Nvidia Titans, or a newer Titan Black, can handle refreshing eight million pixels 60 times per second.
(11-17-2014, 07:11 AM)FreelancerRNC Wrote: [ -> ]Can i finally get back to my studies instead of wasting time on this game?
Admins, give him a ban. He's asking for it! Big Grin

Okay, now seriously. I doubt so. Freelancer was not designed for 4K (?) resolution, however, I was pondering if Freelancer could be designed for Oculus Rift.
It technically should work but the GPU won't like it.
Run it at 180 FPS instead and win all PvP fights!
(11-17-2014, 07:11 AM)FreelancerRNC Wrote: [ -> ]Noting the fact i might be getting a GTX 970/80, the possibility of this GPU running a game this old while showing it at 4K (Best alternative to AA in this damn game) be possible?
You're referring to nvidia proprietary DSR AA method which means internally rendering game in higher resolution (4k and such) and then downscaling it to native display resolution (1080p for example). As long as game can render in arbitrary resolutions you can do it, but you'll have to fiddle around application settings in driver configuration.

(11-17-2014, 07:11 AM)FreelancerRNC Wrote: [ -> ]Would launchpad support it, would we be able to finally have a crisp fresh FL on a average PC monitor?
Unlikely. It's a driver option, not a game option. You'll have to set it up manually.

(11-17-2014, 07:11 AM)FreelancerRNC Wrote: [ -> ]Would the swag pack be compatible with this godly resolution?
It's not resolution-dependent, so it doesn't matter.

(11-17-2014, 07:11 AM)FreelancerRNC Wrote: [ -> ]Can i finally get back to my studies instead of wasting time on this game?
No.

(11-17-2014, 07:11 AM)FreelancerRNC Wrote: [ -> ]Can i get ice cream?
No.
(11-17-2014, 12:45 PM)Haste Wrote: [ -> ]Run it at 180 FPS instead and win all PvP fights!

so that's how you do it!!!
I think that it should work, 980/970 should handle it no problem.
Eonaros Wrote:5th. You have a store across the street.

Okay now you're just scaring me, did you google map this?

treewyrm Wrote:You're referring to nvidia proprietary DSR AA method which means internally rendering game in higher resolution (4k and such) and then downscaling it to native display resolution (1080p for example). As long as game can render in arbitrary resolutions you can do it, but you'll have to fiddle around application settings in driver configuration.

I was slightly familiar with the concept, a friend of mine has a R9-295X2, but i'm hoping to stick with power conservation with Nvidias GPU's, but with the fact that i might be getting either a 970/980 i might want to get a 25" 4K monitor to replace my 21.5" 1920x1090 one (As wasteful as it sounds).

But i'm VERY curious of the 4K freelancer feeling. I mean...
It would be like rubbing Wood polish on a 1800's vintage mahogany wood table crafted by Leonardo Da Vinci.
I know this is a bit of a grave dig, but this question will be answered shortly by myself, possibly tomorrow. I'm getting a 4K display so i can run a native resolution. Results will be posted tomorrow. I'll link images to see how it looks. I'll be running a Samsung U28E590D:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/it/mo...8E590DS/EN
Pages: 1 2