Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Hi Everyone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm an old noob. Someone out there might remember me, but if you don't... good.

After my last bout with Freelancer Discovery RP, I finished my degree in Computer Engineering, and have spent a considerable amount of time searching for a good space exploration/trading game. A few up and coming space games are really promising, but there just isn't anything out there as good as Freelancer as of now.

I want to go ahead and write my inevitably unpopular opinion, and hope that I don't get banned for it until I actually break a rule. Note that I haven't played in about 5 years, so my opinion is dated, and I realize that.
Pirates shouldn't be required to have a license. What the hell kind of outlaw carries a license to break laws?! If Discovery RP were really trying to play roles, then:
- Most of the rules would not apply to outlaws (including rules about carrying licenses for your ship type/class/faction, etc, but not including the rules about roleplay in Connecticut and griefing, etc.)
- A player who breaks the laws too often should be punished by loss of reputation with every in-game faction except for the unlawful ones (allowing some small rep with certain places, so the outlaw can rebuild his rep with effort). The goal would be to make it difficult for pirates to survive outside of areas owned by unlawful npcs and players.
- If an outlaw player becomes too notorious among mods and "police" players, then the "next stage" of punishment should be to append a mark to the outlaw's playertag, so that every other player knows to shoot on sight.
- Even among lawful players, the rules related to keeping the right license for your ship type/class/faction should be enforced by ruining player reputation with npc factions related to the ship in question.

If I remember correctly, there are enough NPCs to make survival difficult if they turn against you, and they can work as an effective tool for keeping order, without sacrificing the "role play" element of role play.

Now, I realize that the above changes may require some coding.... but I'm not oblivious to the difficulties related to making changes of this sort. I don't know how the game code is structured, but I seem to remember that faction relations are manipulable by the mods, and poor relations can lead to npc hostility.
</rant>

Anyway, Discovery is a great mod for a great game. Thanks for continuing to keep this game alive. You are all my heroes.

See you, space cowboys...
Hey, welcome back , have fun if you have any questions don't hesitate to pm or my skype ID is on my profile.
Welcome back..

Can't say I agree with what you're suggesting.
Pirates need to play with ID's to keep within their Lore and ZOI. They also act as rules to said faction/Pirate. This is all to keep Balance within Disco.
Im not going to go into this discussion any further as this is not the right place to address or bring up suggestions.