Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Fresh From the Greenie Grass of Newbie Town
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So... I'm new to both Freelancer and Disco. My room-mate introduced me to freelancer years ago and I found a video by Sindroms on youtube. I recently managed to get a copy of both, and with some of the SP campaign under my belt I want to move onto multiplayer.

Before I dive in I feel a bit timid. I want to play a role playing game but I'm not fond of confrontation (Even in roleplay form).

Despite my worries I think I'm going to give it a shot. If anyone wants to take me under there wing (literally or figuratively) it would be awesome! I think I'll roleplay as a Junker or Miner or something small and insignificant for a while.

I am afraid of leveling up too quickly and getting the crud beat out of me by aggressive players ready to newb snipe. Sad *Sigh* I'm just going to have to risk it.

In any case, I look forward to the role play! *Grins*
Welcome, best of luck and safe skies!
If you ever need help with getting used to discovery roleplay I am willing to help out, although I will tell you know you are prolly gonna need to get used to confrontation as there is quite a bit of it on Discovery even when flying the more neutral groups or less combat focused groups.
(01-28-2015, 04:08 AM)Rogue Yun Wrote: [ -> ]If anyone wants to take me under there wing (literally or figuratively) it would be awesome! I think I'll roleplay as a Junker or Miner or something small and insignificant for a while.

Have you ever considered a career in the clergy? The Church of Eris Esoteric is always welcome to recieve new acolytes who want to learn the ways of Goddess. Snubcraft pilots are also welcome for scouting and patrol on our home system, Baffin. Click the links on my siggie and check it out.

23s
[Image: nFqM6bc.jpg?1]

Been on the server for several years. If you wana learn2RP then I can take you under mai wing.
Your post title was interesting so I wandered in.

Best advice I can offer: Run

Before the crazytrain hits you
Quote:Before the crazytrain hits you
What does the PLR Bison have to do with this?
(01-28-2015, 04:08 AM)Rogue Yun Wrote: [ -> ]So... I'm new to both Freelancer and Disco. My room-mate introduced me to freelancer years ago and I found a video by Sindroms on youtube. I recently managed to get a copy of both, and with some of the SP campaign under my belt I want to move onto multiplayer.

Before I dive in I feel a bit timid. I want to play a role playing game but I'm not fond of confrontation (Even in roleplay form).

Despite my worries I think I'm going to give it a shot. If anyone wants to take me under there wing (literally or figuratively) it would be awesome! I think I'll roleplay as a Junker or Miner or something small and insignificant for a while.

I am afraid of leveling up too quickly and getting the crud beat out of me by aggressive players ready to newb snipe. Sad *Sigh* I'm just going to have to risk it.

Hey, man, welcome to Discovery Freelancer.

Glad to know you found the video good enough to give this a shot, hope you can get through the first few months without too much trouble. Disco is not really the most newbie-friendly games, but the learning curve levels out a bit after a while. The real trick is getting to know the unwritten community rules and standards- something a tutorial does not really help with.

As for newbie sniping, this is not really EvE online, where such things are encouraged. The community is mostly mature enough to avoid doing this and instead- help the new players they encounter, more or less.

My suggestions to you at this point are simple- read the rules a few times. Since this is a game adapted for roleplay, we cannot enforce a lot of things via game mehanics, which means that we rely on a rules list. Read it over a few times.

Secondly, do not be afraid to open up a thread in the help section if you think you have trouble understanding something or if you are stuck. The more questions you ask, the faster you will learn and be able to enjoy the most out of Disco.

See you in space.
Join an official faction. That got me out of my noobish days of wandering about and doing... stuff.
Hi there! I don't have an official faction, a whole lot of credits to give away, or even an unofficial faction for you to join. But if you ever want to earn some credits and have fun exploring the big universe. Hit me up in game: [DHC]Diamant.Streifen is who I usually fly under, or PM on the forums and I can help you with whatever questions you may have.

Good luck, and safe skies!
Pages: 1 2