Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: My opinions on the pvp balance changes and 4.88 changes in general.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So I was flying a bit in the new patch and first this was supposed to be a lol post about how I cant get blues anymore, but after I started writing it I realised there are a few issues with the new "balance".

Normally I'd just cry here about how difficult it is to get blues these days and how I cannot fulfill my desire to kill people but it's actually not the case.

I've recently noticed I don't get much weekend bounty board paperwork cause all the kills were either non-existant (someone just ran away :|) or were someone suiciding after they noticed they can't run (I don't blame, I do this as well, but we should find some way to make this less annoying).

So basically.

1. When you have a one on one chase going on, this can literally take months before you kill who you're chasing. They can run through the entire system and you won't manage to kill them because nanobots, batteries, 40k of armor on vhfs and smaller hitboxes than vanilla. It was less of an issue for me when I was flying sidewinders that could actually hit, but now after changes to the tracking, you literally don't need to use flares to avoid them, which is dumb and makes flares utterly useless. You probably will need to practise your aim for half your life in conn to be able to kill someone and it's just not possible for some people.

2. Flares are utterly useless nowadays because only thing they really work on are paralyzers. And who on earth flies with paralyzers. Firestalkers and Sidewinders are way too easy to avoid, Banonncalls and Catapults are not affected. I guess CD's, but that's not even that necessary, and add a pointless event of random chance when chasing someone (will the flares work on him or not?). And with cloaks getting even more buffed, what's the point of flying on flares anymore?

3. Cloaking in jumpgates. Like, honestly, when you had a Waran before it was the best way to get away from a fight. Now with almost 2 minutes of effective cloak on any ship it's just absurd how easy you can run away through a jumpgate. In a JG or JH you can't spam CDs on that person so he will just run, full stop.

4. Suiciding during battle. Okay. I do this as well. I have no problem with it from a gameplay standpoint. What I have a problem with is that bounty boards specifically say that you gotta be the person getting the kill or you ain't getting a bounty. But when I participate in a groupfight, and my target suddenly starts running away like 8K away from the main fight and then just suicide mines himself to death, it's annoying. I suppose what could be done to discourage such behavior is to make a generic suicide messages claimable by anyone multiple times, but that raises the problem of a bigger exhaustion of a particular bounty board's funds.

5. PvP getting more elitist in general. That's a thing we were discussing with on TS some time ago. To actually get into pvp and have fun with it you need to spend a long time in conn or somewhere else just practising. While before it was mostly equalised by missiles (if someone is not as good they have this small bit of advantage with missiles over someone who flies guns only) but now that missiles are pretty much useless. I know there will be people who'll just say "omg you just bad, l2p scrub", but really, everyone just wants to have fun in this game and it's not fun when you get ganked by some known pvpwhore faction. (cough cough california cough yesterday cough cough)
1) True.
Generic rule: if your target is running - let it be. There's nothing you can do, except flying with instakill setup.

2) True.
Go buy a cloak on your every snub.

3) True.
See above and use same technique.

4) Bounty hunting haven't been reliable source of income for ages. If you're doing it for money, you're doing something wrong.

5) Not really.
It's just general skill of players becoming worse and worse.
2 weeks of intensive training with good pilot and you'll be able to hold on quite long against any ace and kill 80% of discovery VHF population without problems
Oh the irony reading this post from you, Protege. Who knows, if you hadn't been busy flying broken ships, suiciding, fleeing, and spamming torps and missiles throughout 4.87, you might have been a decent PVP'er by now. It really doesn't take that long, if you have fun shooting things and can deal with the fact that the most valuable lessons come from losing. And losing a lot.
(02-01-2015, 01:34 PM)Mímir Wrote: [ -> ]Oh the irony reading this post from you, Protege. Who knows, if you hadn't been busy flying broken ships, suiciding, fleeing, and spamming torps and missiles throughout 4.87, you might have been a decent PVP'er by now. It really doesn't take that long, if you have fun shooting things and can deal with the fact that the most valuable lessons come from losing. And losing a lot.

[Image: supa-hot-fire.gif]

There's actually a lot of truth in what Mimir says. You'll be surprised how much playing dirty stands in your way to actually improve as a pvper.
"l2p scrub"

>this is how a game works though
Mimir, Lyth.
Read what I said in the first post.
Then stick to the topic.
Thank you.

Quote:4) Bounty hunting haven't been reliable source of income for ages. If you're doing it for money, you're doing something wrong.
If you don't trade and fly only snubs it's not bad.
When your targets don't suicide that is.
Suiciding because you're losing a fight is vile.
(02-01-2015, 01:05 PM)Protégé Wrote: [ -> ]So I was flying a bit in the new patch and first this was supposed to be a lol post about how I cant get blues anymore, but after I started writing it I realised there are a few issues with the new "balance".

Normally I'd just cry here about how difficult it is to get blues these days and how I cannot fulfill my desire to kill people but it's actually not the case......

.....but really, everyone just wants to have fun in this game and it's not fun when you get ganked by some known pvpwhore faction. (cough cough california cough yesterday cough cough)

Tbh,to me it looks like it is the case (you are crying because for you it has become difficult to get blues.Then you complain that from hunter you have become helpless pray cause of "pvpwhore faction").

id say to you,evolve or perish.

just my 2 cent
1) When someone's dodging and running from you, all you need to do is run up in a straight line since they won't shoot backwards at you, and then start blasting them at like ~200m because its impossible to miss.

2) Flares are useful against gunboat missiles, cruiser missiles, probably battleship missiles but we'll never know because no one uses them.

3) Cloakbugging away oughta be against the rules, at least I'm pretty sure it is. I dunno, never really paid attention to anyone who does.

4) This is not a problem with the game, this is a problem with the players.

5) PvP hasn't gotten more elitist. If you stick to one style of play, get comfortable in that style with broken equipment and all that, you're going to get too comfortable. Just ask around. Most people will say that yes, you were indeed quite a threat to them before you got lazy and started going for cheap blues. It's like a bodybuilder who stops for a month and wonders why he isn't as strong as before.
The problem usually lies with the pilot, much less in the general balance which is decent now that missiles are gone.
Pages: 1 2 3