Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Bringing Logic into Disco : Structural Load Transfer on Bases
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(03-02-2015, 05:23 PM)Highland Laddie Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2015, 03:00 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: [ -> ]
Ah I see what you did there... But I am going to assume that it is similar to what is here on earth because... well... I'd like to go to pour a drink properly in my RP bar Big Grin
But that does bring up a point though. Suppose you would decrease gravity. That would mean the forces applied downwards would decrease. If that happens then it would only need to go lower than the forces applied upwards from the base materials in order to counter it.
But that leads me to the scenario again of compartmentalization. If you were to make smaller units that can hold themselves together and have the load dissipate and distribute evenly on the bottom... then that would mean it would be able to hold. If you were to then link them together and make the links also strong enough then that would work too. A way to visualize this would be making boxes that can hold themselves up and then attaching them together. Then remove the walls that are not needed for larger areas to be created inside. I suppose that would work.... maybe. The only problem is what is the maximum size that I could make? And I would go back to saying probably 15 meters wide and ... i dont know...6 meters high? Depends also how thick the walls are of the box.
Actually not even. maybe 10 x 10 and have the walls thick and the base thicker?
Precisely...localized gravitational focus. If you have gravitational generators, why not be able to customize them per building/room/location that you choose? Thus, on a structure like a biodome, you could have basically just enough gravity to ensure that the water is absorbed properly into the plant root systems, whereas in other areas where there is more structural support, you could have higher gravity (like a base bar with people who don't want to float everywhere).
Another thing to consider, in this fictional world of "super alloys" and science fiction materials, we're not necessarily assuming that all these fancy space stations are just being built out of rebar and A36 structural steels, which have relatively weak tensile strengths. It's possible that whatever materials are being used provide better structural support than what we general use here planetside in the real world.
well I am assuming that becasue i wana make it realistic. :/... except for gravity generators
And no rebar doesnt work here since you wouldnt use concrete. I would say you use steel instead or something similar to that.
also plants dont use gravity to suck up water.... it is capillary suction.

AND the point of this thread is in the OP plz read K? k

im adding gravity generators becasue it exists in game AND and if there is no gravity then nothing even would work anyway.
Nomnom do u even understand what u said just now ? there is no logic in u or discovery at all please Nom...
Chuba gtfo Big Grin

yes i understand what I just said since i am learning it.

besides artificial gravity
(03-02-2015, 06:08 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: [ -> ]Chuba gtfo Big Grin

sure,this is how u talk to a person. noice
Na just you Tongue Wink

But seriously though. So far this all makes sence... But I still need to know about the load transfers or if I should compartmentalize the whole thing and not have columns. It actually does make sence a little to make air locks and stuff but if I want to make a big space then walls will have to be replaced with columns or sufficient truss systems that are able to span that distance... But then there is moment to consider.... And yeah.. Load transfer is needed.
(03-02-2015, 05:35 PM)Tachyon Wrote: [ -> ]Then what's the point of this thread.

"Hi I'm studying [subject] and I want to demonstrate how extremely knowledgeable I am."

Non?
that's interesting!

I think the structure must resist to two forces:
- local gravitation field (generated by the station)
- near-by gravitation field (generated by planet/stars)

maybe the local gravitation field has not the same strength as the one on earth
also maybe there are some super-strong materials that offer better structure capacity

nevertheless, the question you are rising makes sense (but I don't expect it will be applied here, this is disco...)
was wondering if you confronted your idea with existing artificial satellites?
(03-02-2015, 05:39 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: [ -> ]im adding gravity generators becasue it exists in game

If you are at it already, please add all the materials and alloys existing in the game into the equation, and begin calculating with their properties.

Also...

(03-02-2015, 03:56 AM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: [ -> ]Basically cold gets in.
[Image: tumblr_mecz8dyycL1rlw0i3o1_400.jpg]
nOmnomnOm...wow man, your knowledge impressing, but you trying to find what does not exist in game.

We have ships, which acting like simple cars, we have planets and stars without gravity. No point searching anything you tried in this post.
Biodomes are not Zoner but Synth Food.

That is all.
Pages: 1 2 3 4