Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: My first try
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well tonight i had some free time so i whipped up this in 3DS max. It kinda sucks IMO. I did it without pre planning and no reference sketches. I intended for it to be a light fighter but it looks too unagile (yea thats a word:). Anyway i would just like to ask a few questions as i have no experience modeling and texturing in milkshape and for freelancer.

1: Is it ok to texture it in 3DS
2: Whats the polylimit i heard someone say freelancer runs into problems at 15000+
3: Why does it go all smooth when imported into milkshape.
and finally does anyone know how to work this http://forums.seriouszone.com/showthread.php?t=56247? (its a CMP importer, although i heard it didnt work with some versions of MS although they didnt mention my version)

Any critism about how it looks and how to make it look better is much appreciated. Might texture it tommorow.

[Image: Untitled-4copy.jpg]

I did a test import into milkshape via "export to .obj" then "import .obj"

[Image: Ship.jpg]

EDIT: also whats the deal with cockpits, some i see have pilots but is it ok to just do glazzed or solid glass?
Rarely do I post here, but this I feel deserves a special Reverend post. That fuselage is good, but what is with the huge racing spoiler of a wing section? the whole back end needs re-working. However for a first ever try at this, it shows some talent, especially as you just built it from the mind without any other form of reference.

As for the other questions, I'm no ship modder, or in fact any other type. I cannot help.
1. Yes, you can texture it wherever, as long as it's finally in .MAT format.
2. Yes, Freelancer starts lagging after that amount... Make it less.
3. Right click and select something other than "Smooth Shading"

Seth
Looks pretty good for a first attempt, I'd say keep working on it, try to get a frame of refrence for what kind of ship you want it to be (What faction desig) and go from there.
With a bit of work, that could be something there, the back needs work... to me, the shape is actually similar to an upside-down crow
very good for first attempt.
However, the wing doesnt seems to fit really well. Either scrap it, or give it a more aerodynamic shape.
Yea might have to scrap the back end. Ill change the back end. But who actually knows what "real" space fighters would look like in the first place. For the rear wing i kinda used this as inspiration. I don't really know what to do though because it was based around the back end. Any ideas?

[Image: CylonFighter.jpg]
Use your imagination. Freelancer is more about looks than functionality which is both a bane and a blessing. You can indulge in your fantasy designs but too 'industry' looking ships tend to look 'un-fl'ish.

The back wing looks like you did all the work on the rest of the ship and then got bored, so slapped a giant rectangle on the back. Other than that, very nice.
Nice work, you are onto something here. Try bending that back plate, or do something with it. Cross look is interesitng, dont scrap it, but play around with bending.
Not sure either. but when making ship I basically follow my own freelancerish-ship-theories, which wants the ships to have a generic theme for each faction, representative of the nation it represents.

for the moment, this ship feels somewhat too angular. While it looks very practical - and probably wont be a problem at all in space, this isnt exactly (but close enough) to FL designs.
Pages: 1 2