Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Discovery Freelancer Mod Installation Guide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
I tried using FLMM to install 4.80 or 4.81 to my original Freelancer game, both failed for different reasons.
AND...I get only repeated "Copy failed" for every file when trying to install 4.88 (or even 4.87)
cant even get 4.84!!

Why cant I use/get any of the Discovery mods, what am I doing wrong...?

My current game now claims to be 4.81 but it has none of the "Discovery" items/ships
1: installed a fresh original freelancer to the PC.
2: Downloaded discovery v. 4.88.1.
3: Installed. / asked for location of default Freelancer installation

I have got this far, but 4.88 wont actually install...
fails to copy all files.
(07-17-2015, 08:26 PM)Diablo666Daemon666 Wrote: [ -> ]1: installed a fresh original freelancer to the PC.

fails to copy all files.
Could be a permission issue. Did you try running the disco installer as admin and/or installing it to a drive other than C?
(05-05-2015, 02:17 PM)Crackling Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2015, 01:37 PM)Roy21 Wrote: [ -> ]Im soo confused. Install then uninstall the reinstall 4.88.1, choose main folder to install the new 4.88.1v. run DSlauncher.exe to run game, [update] & done. Am I correct?

Im installing from scratch. had to download Freelancer fresh. tried to follow every step, and yet, it remains in the last version[88.0]. any help? frustrating, 'cause it wont update.

Once I want to uninstall it says its already a 4.88.1v, when ingame its clearly NOT. plus. I only get one server to get in. Do I require to have v4.87 installed? installation steps arent clear at all.

A video of this would be very very helpful.

Right now version writes as "88.0".

You see one server - official one? If yes, you used "hide unofficial servers" option in launcher.

(05-05-2015, 02:19 PM)Roy21 Wrote: [ -> ]Ive been out for a while. ill briefly explain every step i made to make it work. I hope you can point me out.

Ill start by saying the PC was clean of Freelancer files. Anti-virus off; Freelancer in safe zone with the firewall. Net Framework updated to 4.0.

1: installed a fresh original freelancer to the PC. [checked if it was working]
2: Downloaded discovery v. 4.88.1 from qbittorrent.
3: Installed. / asked for location of default Freelancer installation/ then the discovery location was automatic, to C:\Users\Client\AppData\Local\Discovery freelancer 4.88.1 [changed this location with same results]
4:Ran DSlauncher with no apparent issues. it autoupdates the launcher, then downloads data until the launch game button comes up.[no account was generated so I decided to generate one manually]
4: Ingame shows the correct version 88.0 conquest. But with only one [conquest of conquest] or none servers in the server tab.

Hope this helps clearing up what was my mistake? waiting forward for the data.

(07-17-2015, 08:45 PM)pfedza Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2015, 08:26 PM)Diablo666Daemon666 Wrote: [ -> ]1: installed a fresh original freelancer to the PC.

fails to copy all files.
Could be a permission issue. Did you try running the disco installer as admin and/or installing it to a drive other than C?

yes I have done those...
(07-17-2015, 08:19 PM)Diablo666Daemon666 Wrote: [ -> ]I tried using FLMM to install 4.80 or 4.81 to my original Freelancer game, both failed for different reasons.
AND...I get only repeated "Copy failed" for every file when trying to install 4.88 (or even 4.87)
cant even get 4.84!!

Why cant I use/get any of the Discovery mods, what am I doing wrong...?

My current game now claims to be 4.81 but it has none of the "Discovery" items/ships

fails to copy all files.

Trying to install multiple different versions of the Discovery mod, when using FLMM, is like driving a turbo-charged sports car down the fast lane to Freelancer hell.

Your installations are probably completely corrupted and you will have to start from scratch.

1) Uninstall everything. Literally everything: FL itself, Discovery, FLMM. Back up any save games you want to keep first in a folder that is well and truly clear of any possible locations for Freelancer or mod installations.

NB: Do not install anything related to Freelancer in the Program Files directory. It is a common cause of failed installs.

2) Make a new installation of vanilla Freelancer - preferably from the original disk. Do not modify this install at any time, ever - it is your "clean" install.

3) Download and run the Discovery v4.88 installer. When it asks for your Freelancer directory, put in the directory of your vanilla installation that you just made. Then, make sure your desired Discovery v4.88 directory is in a separate folder to that vanilla install.

4) If that worked properly, you should be able to run Discovery. Test by attempting to join the official server. If it didn't work, do not proceed, and seek additional help.

5) To install older versions of the Discovery mod: If they have an installer (.exe), use the same procedure as above, but you won't need to install vanilla FL again.

For versions that are zipped files (.flmod): rename the file from <name>.zip.flmod to <name>.zip, and then unzip them. Copy your clean install to a new folder, which will be used as the basis for this modded install. Copy the unzipped mod files into that folder, and then it should be ready to play.

Note that every time the Discovery Launcher is run (in order to play v4.88), your save game files will be wiped in order to prevent the game from crashing. You will need to back up save files from older mod versions / different mods every time before playing v4.88.
1) Uninstall everything. Literally everything: FL itself, Discovery, FLMM. Back up any save games you want to keep first in a folder that is well and truly clear of any possible locations for Freelancer or mod installations.

2) Make a new installation of vanilla Freelancer - preferably from the original disk. Do not modify this install at any time, ever - it is your "clean" install.

3) Download and run the Discovery v4.88 installer. When it asks for your Freelancer directory, put in the directory of your vanilla installation that you just made. Then, make sure your desired Discovery v4.88 directory is in a separate folder to that vanilla install.

4) If that worked properly, you should be able to run Discovery. Test by attempting to join the official server. If it didn't work, do not proceed, and seek additional help.

5) To install older versions of the Discovery mod: If they have an installer (.exe), use the same procedure as above, but you won't need to install vanilla FL again.

Right...so...
I have installed Freelancer...AGAIN.
I have downloaded FLMM
I have found and downloaded the 4.88 Discovery file (from moddb?)

I select my freelancer game as the directory from which to install, and I tell it to install to a different folder.
As the programme is running, it says "copy failed" on EVERY file it wants to access, and then moves on to try to install, and flags each failure AGAIN with a box that I have to click "try again" "ignore" or "cancel".

It will NOT install for some reason.

Is the download simply a PATCH/UPDATE...or is it the full Discovery mod?
If its a patch/update, it obviously wouldn't find the required files since they wouldn't be there...?
For versions that are zipped files (.flmod): rename the file from <name>.zip.flmod to <name>.zip, and then unzip them. Copy your clean install to a new folder, which will be used as the basis for this modded install. Copy the unzipped mod files into that folder, and then it should be ready to play.

All the files, or just certain ones? Wouldn't the folders and files be replaced...?
Why are you trying to use FLMM? All the instructions are in the first post of this thread.
(07-18-2015, 08:36 PM)Alley Wrote: [ -> ]Why are you trying to use FLMM? All the instructions are in the first post of this thread.

Yeah, I noticed that...
I decided not to try using that anymore. I was using it for 4.81/4.84

I think I have now got 4.81 working... That's a start.
4.88 (and even 4.87) still give a repeated copy failed issue...
(Tried to screenshot, but failed)
4.84 working perfectly...
Any chance of getting the FILES for 4.88 (or 4.87) instead of the "install" thing...as it obviously wiil not work.

Weird question...does 4.88 still allow you to play the singleplayer campaign?
Many changes in 4.88 (and 4.87) would make the maps wrong for the campaign...?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34