Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: What would happen if we take shields away?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'm curious here, what do you guys reckon would happen if we removed shield generators from the game?

To me PvP would have to involve greater strategy, as they would be finished quite quickly. So bombers and fighters would seriously have to co-ordinate to take down those capital ships.

Another thing I expect is a sharp increase in trading, due to the repair bills in clans, since there would be large fights.

I expect the Outcasts to be annoyed since the Inferno would be worthless and would just carry supernovas. However, if shields do go, I'd take away all the nuclear mines, supernovas and mini razors. No 1 hit kills. Don't want it to go that fast.

So what you guys think of this idea or never to be scenario?:wacko:

*Edit: Woot 801 posts!
It might actually sound like fun on paper, but I think it would be annoying while playing. After every couple of fights (even against npcs), you'd have to go back to base for repairs, since you can't risk using too many bots.

Also, removing Supernovas and the like from the game would make killing caps way too hard.
well i wouldnt remove the shield generators alltogether, but a very slow regen at the very most, im happy as it is, despite the npc's regen heeh
It would be a terrible modification. Every man made thing that is sent into space must have a shield, otherwise it will burn out.

No shields is not a good idea.
' Wrote:It might actually sound like fun on paper, but I think it would be annoying while playing. After every couple of fights (even against npcs), you'd have to go back to base for repairs, since you can't risk using too many bots.

Also, removing Supernovas and the like from the game would make killing caps way too hard.
Killing capitals would be harder, maybe a new weapon set to add more punch to current 'vanilla' torpedoes? Maybe add more bot capacity too.

' Wrote:well i wouldnt remove the shield generators alltogether, but a very slow regen at the very most, im happy as it is, despite the npc's regen heeh
NPC regen = Why do you guys hate me?
Dragon has a point, more or less. Everything would not necessiarily burn up, but raidiation fields, mines, gas pockets, and ll the other hazards of space would be unbarable. Besides, eventhough Freelancer dosent offer the option of pilot damage, in RP if you fly through radiation w/o a shield, you'll fry or die shortly there after of raidiation sickness.
/signed.

Also, if shields are taken out, there is not much fun in PvP and players will have to completely depend on armor upgrades for that.

It will more or less be like everyone fighting in a Nomad fighter.
' Wrote:Dragon has a point, more or less. Everything would not necessiarily burn up, but raidiation fields, mines, gas pockets, and ll the other hazards of space would be unbarable. Besides, eventhough Freelancer dosent offer the option of pilot damage, in RP if you fly through radiation w/o a shield, you'll fry or die shortly there after of raidiation sickness.
Dragon does have a point, but they wouldn't burn up. It would just be less economical, like thicker hulls, more lead in the hull to shield (not fully) from radiation and radiation medical treatments before flight.

There may be no pilot damage, and illness to pilots in 'reality' in here. But it has been stated before, reality + Freelancer = Community does not compute.
True but if the density of the hulls were to be increased to the level it would have to be to protect the pilot and equipment then the maneuveribility of the ship would be greatly impaired. Ergo Liberator handeling like a Titan
Just as I said my friend, players will have to rely on armor upgrades. That will also increase the costs of the ships. Having shields is fun, moreover, it also absorbs collision with asteroids, other ships etc..
Pages: 1 2 3 4