Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Making Dying More Realistic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So I've seen many people saying that "We'd solve all the capship problems and PvP whoring issues if we made dying more realistic." People have suggested that when you die you lose your character or equipment or such and such. I think that's a bit harsh, but I did have an idea.

How about, I know it's doable since we are seeing millions of givecash commands, every time you die it costs you something. My thought was 1/5 of the ship cost, but the exact amount is debatable. However I do believe that if you set a price on death in-game it will limit the PvP whoring and especially the rampant use oh BC's and BS's. The idea is it would automatically pull from your char after you died, and if you didn't have enough money to pay the fee it'd swipe your armor upgrade-whatever it was.
Note: This obviously wouldn't apply to players rank less than 40 or 50
The fees would go as such.

5 million for any fighters/bombers. 1/5 the cost of a fighter is pretty miniscule so I think a base price is good for that. So five million credits, and if someone thinks they are super smart and can just sneak by it *pop* goes your armor upgrade.

As for any capital ships, the 1/5 rule would apply. This way I think we would properly limit the use of capital ships. Who's going to whore a BH BC if it might cost you 50 million?

To all you who say its too harsh? Well? In realistic RP you'd be dead, so I think a small bribe for the Grim Reaper is plenty appropriate.

--Please comment and help build on this--
Yes, lets tip things even more in favor of bombers, why should anyone fly anything else?
a hitch, what happens if you have no money? and most fighters/bombers dont get alot of money. and 5 mil tax for fighters/bombers... thats too much in my opinion

also its harsh to essentially tax those who do rp alltogether
Considering that the limit is two billion credits, i'm assuming game engine uses signed int as variable.

You could make it cost 15% of ship+equipment cost. If you do not have enough money, you would be left with -X credits, and wouldn't be able to purchase a dirty nanobot till you filled that gap.

But a lot of people would complain they wouldnot want to keep trading 10 hours to play 1, as they have not got enough time.
I would be one of them.

Quote:also its harsh to essentially tax those who do rp alltogether

RP is running from a battle you cant win instead of dying. That's what i do with all my characters, and it works pretty well. LNS Las Vegas has never been killed (but last escape was a really close one), Mike Edwards never fights " to death" if he can avoid it etc.

EDIT:
Quote:Yes, lets tip things even more in favor of bombers, why should anyone fly anything else?
Bomber: 2 million
SNAC: 7 million
Main weaopns: about 2 Millions
Armor: 15 millions
-----------------------
26 millions
15% of 26M=3,9 millions.

That's quite expensive even for a bomber, don't you think so? And that would encourage less bombers suicide when they lose a couple of debbies/tizzies/etc
Another issue: It would cause people to engage only when the odds are tipped heavily in their favour. Why risk dying and paying?

It might have the side effect of making traders more willing to pay a pirate's demand, but i don't think the cost outweighs the benefits.
I actually do like the idea of a respawn fee. *goes off to sell clones* :laugh:
Look,im not sure how we can set that correctly for be fair for everyone,but im 100% whit that idea,remove credit everytime we die,haha!! thats will make think a lot pople before acting...

Yes?

NO?

:crazy:
Maybe it would be enough to have a "mountable" ship crew, which is obliged to leave the dock. Each class needs a different crew, and every time you die, you loose your crew.

I have to agree with tenny on this one. It would just lead to more people in bomber swarms. I think the 4 hour rule is good enough...
Emon makes the best point here, nobody would ever fight unless they heavily outnumbered and outgunned the opponent.

It's bad enough that some factions are already outnumbered everywhere they go (like the order, with the ridiculous BHG and Liberty fleets against our small player base) - but now they would be completely excluded from pvp of any kind.

I dont think anyone here wants pvp to turn into 1 vs 3+ every time you log in. This also has way too much potential for increasing griefing against players.

and Dantrithor - it'd cost the average cruiser 15-20 million every time he dies to pay that 15%. So no, it's not a good idea, and I hate trading enough as-is without being forced into spending 90% of my time doing it so that I can 'afford' one pvp fight where I get ganked by a dozen bounty hunters.
Pages: 1 2 3 4