Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Cardamine Lore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been looking around with little success. Is someone hooked with an addiction after one use of Cardamine? Or do you need to be a habitual user to start the DNA changing/addiction process? Working on a post and I don't want to write something that'll be out of line with established Lore.
Not sure if the physical addiction kicks off after a single use, but psychological addiction most certainly does.
For simplicity's sake: assume it does.
I am pretty sure it is just really quick to get addicted but not immediate.
(03-15-2015, 04:18 AM)Loki557 Wrote: [ -> ]I am pretty sure it is just really quick to get addicted but not immediate.

Its the hardest drug in the universe of Sirius though....
I'd say once you sniff it it's already a done deal
I won't vouch that this thread is the best one out there, but it's at least something to get rolling with

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=99633
the part on sterility however does not make sense, as outcasts spent several centuries on malta before ever making contact with an outsider. even with the extended life span, they would have died out before making contact and being able to sustain themselves through constant immigration.

annnnd... wrong account
there is a lot left to artistic interpretation. As for addiction. immigrants become quickly addicted to "malta" because of thier prolonged exsposure to the air, pollens(?) and the fact all the food stuffs are born of the planet.

It was my understanding while Malta is not as infertile as crete malta can grow crops and food, its just something about the planet alters whatever is in the biosphere.

Cardimine Grasses seem to tap something in the eco system that either makes you more susceptible or dependent enough to have to have it when your away from the world. it is a genetic alteration that for better or worse alters the metabolism of the outcasts.

Without cardimine they suffer an in ability to derive nutrients or in some cases suffer complete breakdowns of mind and body.. That much has been roleplayed over and over.

So I suspect it alters the hormone/endocrine system and nervous system enough that plain sustenance cannot be cycled through the body without it. Altering the hormones specifically could impact fertility.

Using the drug in its concentrated form enough to feel euphoria means its at work changing these systems of the body. So while you can visit malta.. breathe the air.. and bring your own food. you can probably leave without incident. but the proliferation of cardimine in some areas of Sirius it has been written certain placed put it in the food and even in some cases the water supply of totally addicted territory.

Its up to you to interpret how that enters into your characters reality.. but to go further then this.. which is still pretty theoretical would just be diving into the different and many splendor lore written about it by many people over the years.
from http://discoverygc.com/wiki/Cardamine

"Due to the genetic alterations caused by long-term Cardamine use, all of the major colonies have declared it contraband."
Cardamine alters the DNA such that if you stop taking it, you die. Hence why the early Outcast pilots kept dieing on long trips because they had no Cardamine to take and sustain their needs.
Pages: 1 2