Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Shields that block or reduce radiation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I hope this is the right place to share this though ... I'm still pretty new on the Disco server and forum. Smile

Perhaps a silly question, but I was wondering if it would be nice if there would be shields available for all ships, that would prevent (or minimize) radiation damage? Naturally that shield should then be (a bit) less effective against weapons fire then the other shields are.

Such a shield would be very useful for those who fly often in systems with radiation, so you do not need to waist time on docking for repairs and spend cash on repairs for that damage. You would of course be more vulnerable in battle due to the reduced protection against weapon fire, so it would be more a shield for example smuggling, mining, trading and exploring radioactive systems then for taking your ship into battle.

Just an idea ... don't know if it is possible in the first place. Smile

If such shields were available, it might even be interesting to increase the radiation damage done in some systems (or some areas in some systems) so that being present in such systems with the other shields would become more dangerous (and costly).

(Strike Through: Sabru made a good point in his reply.)
thats why you use armor. Space is damaging to a ship's hull, even if it has shields and the way things currently are is fine.

adding mostly useless radiation shields would be pointless and only clog up space wherever they are sold, let alone the work to create them and tinker with the radiation levels like you suggest.

then there is the effect on the player base, ship movements and ending up with potentially pointless and dead systems that no one goes into because of the buffed radiation.
: You you make a good point about that systems with buffed radiation could indeed become dead systems, didn't think about that. That's no good no ...forget about that part of the idea (struck through). Smile
Radiation can also slowly wear off your expensive equipment (cloaks, drives, codeguns, etc) and make repairs costly. Even if it's a little damage over time.