Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New Missions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it possible to add New missions?
I think There is 5 mission, all of them from original Freelancer;
Assasination
Capture the Prisoner
Destroy the Base
Destroy Contraband
Destroy All Ships
Why there are no new missions? Maybe new Enhanced Base Siege mission, 6-12 Million reward.
1 Enemy Base (4~12M hull)
3-6x Stationary BS (destroyable, 1~3M hull)
Spawn;
5-8 Cruiser
5-10 Gunboat
When the Stationary BS,Cruiser,Gunboat destroyed, more reinforcement should spawn;
1-3 Battleships
3-6 Cruiser
5-7 Gunboats
Mission will complete when enemy Base destroyed.
Of course, these missions are not soloable. 2-3 player recommended.
Tell me what you guys thinking, Is it good idea or bad idea?
On top of this, what happened to massdriver's trading missions?
its a really good idea!

Only if the cash for mission is good 8|
Any feature that forces players to work together is good for Disco.

I'd like mission generator that checks how many players are in group and gives the mission according to that.

I'm sure it would boost team working, friendships - and convoys in case of trade missions.
(03-28-2015, 01:14 PM)Pepe Wrote: [ -> ]Any feature that forces players to work together is good for Disco.

I'd like mission generator that checks how many players are in group and gives the mission according to that.

I'm sure it would boost team working, friendships - and convoys in case of trade missions.

Not possible so far as I know. Freelancer is an extremely limited game when it comes to modifying advanced mechanics. Even adding basic new mission types involved hernia-inducing amounts of work, they're liable to crashing and you're basically only hacking the existing archetypes into pretending to be something else.
Planetary/Athmospheric missions could work too, for fighters. Even for bigger ships - if you consider the possibility of land assault missions - destroying a land outpost

Before I get the "back of buddy, is a lot of work response" think about it on the long term. That would indeed, involve those *back braking* amounts of work and design, but if you think about it they already want to delete some systems.Why not convert those into planetary environments.

Strap in a re-textured dyson terrain in those systems and lower the hight of it. Connect it to the systems through modified/ minor JH or JG mechanics (jh disguised as a docking ring), put some dense nebula as bad weather and recreate one planet or two for each major area.

Could provide good background for in-game RP as well. All those Planetary forum landing, all those exploration and terraforming, not to mention the outposts. You could relate them to a proper ingame landmark

On a more serious note, One could only dream of such, but who knows
(03-28-2015, 12:06 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]On top of this, what happened to massdriver's trading missions?

hook plugin with basic features was ready long time ago, yet devs were not interested in it due to bugs first priority
I would like to propose something else:

It seems that missions directed against factions that don't field capital ships (such as corps) are guaranteed to field swarms of snubs at you instead. For example Ruiz in Beta has 1-2.5mil range missions against GMG that never field caps, (so you always have chance in snub), but offer you challenge due to NPC's ability to swarm you in two seconds.

I would love to see more missions like this available for other groups.
(03-28-2015, 01:33 PM)jammi Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-28-2015, 01:14 PM)Pepe Wrote: [ -> ]Any feature that forces players to work together is good for Disco.

Not possible so far as I know. Freelancer is an extremely limited game when it comes to modifying advanced mechanics. Even adding basic new mission types involved hernia-inducing amounts of work, they're liable to crashing and you're basically only hacking the existing archetypes into pretending to be something else.

1st quote response: jump trading involves working together and look at the reaction.

2nd: there are more out there for freelancer that are quite huge. Like neo Tera. So it is not THAT limited.
Not sure I agree with you on that one. I've had a look at Neo-Terra's feature list and all it looks like to me is that they're implementing existing mechanics in interesting ways. There doesn't seem to be anything groundbreaking there. I'd also be dubious about seeing it released seeing as their ModBD page has been dead since last July.

FLHook is pretty much the only way to develop really interesting features, but that tends to run into major problems with stability and server load. Frankly Freelancer isn't a good game for modding because it wasn't designed with it in mind. It's just fortunate that the file system is accessible which allows for a fair bit of tinkering around the edges.