Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Admin Feedback Thread (Archived)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(01-18-2017, 02:51 PM)Alley Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2017, 12:11 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]And I think adressing Hannibal here directly is the best example instead of going against everyone.

Yes and no.

I agree admins should take their responsabilities when they screw up and it ~usually~ does happen this way.
However it's also the responsability of the staff itself to ensure it keeps its own members (be it admins, mods) in check and if necessary take actions.

+1. That said, it seems a lot of people here could do with some attitude adjustments. The admins will always most definitely reflect the community. Divine was talking about the Admin team back in .84-.85, I was a member of that staff and I will tell you, that team was the way it was because the members demanded it. Back then we had faction leaders and significant members of the community who were interested in boosting the server and the community along with their own faction. It wasn't a zero some game back then, where if I want to get power for my faction I have to take it from someone else. People back then respected good rp and demanded that the Admins enforce a high standard. Before that, the rp here was, to be perfectly frank, crap. Go back and look at some of the 05-06 rp threads, often we wouldn't even recognize it as rp today. As the community grew and more serious rpers joined, the community demanded the staff enforce a higher level of rp, and a more systematic game in general. Rules were expanded and the Admins gave themselves more power to regulate and enforce rp, which wasn't always what individuals were happy with. But the changes didn't originate with the staff, they came from the community, which was reflected in the staff.

Today the staff still reflects the community. Rules are much looser than they were during my time on the staff, The idea of a perma-ban not being permanent wouldn't have even occurred to us. Cheating and trolling became proper and acceptable here because that is what the community wants. The level of interaction has become what it is because that's what the community wants. Spazzy is an admin (really spazzy, no offense to you, I really think you are doing a great job, honestly) and that is an example to the community that there is a way back from cheating and trolling. That you can rejoin the community after that, so of course people are going to do it. And it's ok because clearly, the community wanted their friends who were cheaters and trolls and toxic to be accepted back into the community. Players know now that IF they get caught, they face 6 months off. Players know that if they are about to rage quit, they might as well try to f**k it up for the people who pissed them off because they were going to take a break anyway, so now they hurt the other side and know they can come back in 6 months. Hostility and factionalism have become the rule among the player base, and somehow we are surprised when those traits are displayed by members of the admin team. Come on now, many of the people who are complaining about Hannabull now are the same people who work to drive players they don't like off the server and try to push players they dont like to their emotional breaking point. If the community wants a better level of dialogue with the staff, the first step ought to be working to raise the level of dialogue amongst the player base. The staff reflects the player base, you aren't going to have devils for players and angels for staff. It just doesn't work that way.
(01-18-2017, 03:18 PM)Zelot Wrote: [ -> ]Come on now, many of the people who are complaining about Hannabull now are the same people who work to drive players they don't like off the server and try to push players they dont like to their emotional breaking point.

I agree with pretty much everything said except for this part. I dislike the idea of an admin moderating the forums when there's forum moderators, especially on what appeared to be his own accord, deleting someone's art from their own roleplay thread without even looking at it. To me, that was just gross misconduct on his behalf and it stepped over the line. Thanks to the person who restored it.

Granted I'm probably not credible as I was the banana person he mentioned, which people seem to think was trolling. I'll give them that it was a sarcastic post, because the character is a sarcastic person. When we start getting censored for playing our roles in the community, it starts becoming a problem.
(01-18-2017, 03:24 PM)Vendetta Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2017, 03:18 PM)Zelot Wrote: [ -> ]Come on now, many of the people who are complaining about Hannabull now are the same people who work to drive players they don't like off the server and try to push players they dont like to their emotional breaking point.

I agree with pretty much everything said except for this part. I dislike the idea of an admin moderating the forums when there's forum moderators, especially on what appeared to be his own accord, deleting someone's art from their own roleplay thread without even looking at it. To me, that was just gross misconduct on his behalf and it stepped over the line. Thanks to the person who restored it.

Granted I'm probably not credible as I was the banana person he mentioned, which people seem to think was trolling. I'll give them that it was a sarcastic post, because the character is a sarcastic person. When we start getting censored for playing our roles in the community, it starts becoming a problem.

I would imagine if the staff didn't have to spend quite so much time keeping meme's out of non-flood non-rp threads, the staff wouldn't be so sensitive when they show up in rp posts. As to the other point about mod responsibility vs admin responsibility, Admins have always always always also done forum moderation. And lets be real about it, if you needed something moderated on the forum and you contacted an admin and they said "not going to do it, not a mod" you would be annoyed at them for not doing it. Everyone wants other people's responsibilities to be what that person needs or wants them to be.
(01-18-2017, 03:09 PM)Alley Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2017, 02:55 PM)Shaggy Wrote: [ -> ] hi, uh I am not sure if you know about the PoB docking bug. saying something about not having the correct or not enough reputation to dock on the base, but the tag is added or name, and the rep sheet is fully green to the station due to same affiliation. I am just curious are you working on fixing this bug and if so how long roughly do you think it will take to implement if not what would you suggest in doing every time it happens instead of reporting it in the bug thread?

Thanks

This bug happens when an admin reload a plugin live as the order of loading is lost. The most common cause is unloading and then reloading the base plugin which will cause it to have its hooks processed after playercntl's hooks, which is the plugin that contains the rephack nodock feature. As all solars have a native reputation of -1.0 on creation which is immediatly overwritten by the base plugin for POBs, playercntl think you're trying to dock on a -1.0 repped base and gently let you know that it doesn't want you here.

I'm not really sure how to fix it tbh, it's likely possible but it will wait until more important things are finished. Unfortunately I don't have as much time as I used to have.

Thank you for this, it has helped me understand the reason why it has happened with Minerva Research Center on two occasions already. Knew it was to do with something with the reputation sheet, was wondering if it was because the PoB rep sheet shows as Crayter Republic but on the forums it appears as Crayter Military.
(01-18-2017, 03:34 PM)Zelot Wrote: [ -> ]

I would imagine if the staff didn't have to spend quite so much time keeping meme's out of non-flood non-rp threads, the staff wouldn't be so sensitive when they show up in rp posts.

One would expect, but you can't really change how people are going to behave on the internet. The least people could do is act with a modicum of respect towards one another. I'm not one to talk as there's a few people I very much dislike here.
(01-18-2017, 03:36 PM)Vendetta Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2017, 03:34 PM)Zelot Wrote: [ -> ]

I would imagine if the staff didn't have to spend quite so much time keeping meme's out of non-flood non-rp threads, the staff wouldn't be so sensitive when they show up in rp posts.

One would expect, but you can't really change how people are going to behave on the internet. The least people could do is act with a modicum of respect towards one another. I'm not one to talk as there's a few people I very much dislike here.

Yea, you can. Foul language is all around on the internet. People drop the f-bomb and worse like it is putting money in their pockets. It doesn't happen here. It's one of the few things this community has consistently gotten right over the whole history of the mod. People know it's not acceptable and the punishments for it have always been draconian. It works, for the vast majority of the time. Someone posted that "Why do we ban" thread, this is why, we use bans and sanctions to let people know what is acceptable and what is not, AND to what extent something is more or less acceptable. It is totally possible to change people's behaviour, even on the internet.
(01-18-2017, 03:43 PM)Zelot Wrote: [ -> ]Yea, you can. Foul language is all around on the internet. People drop the f-bomb and worse like it is putting money in their pockets. It doesn't happen here.

Sadly, Discovery-related Skype chats and ingame groups show the opposite. At least on the forum people refrain from doing the stuff.
(01-18-2017, 03:47 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2017, 03:43 PM)Zelot Wrote: [ -> ]Yea, you can. Foul language is all around on the internet. People drop the f-bomb and worse like it is putting money in their pockets. It doesn't happen here.

Sadly, Discovery-related Skype chats and ingame groups show the opposite. At least on the forum people refrain from doing the stuff.

And in public in game. No, the admins aren't the thought police, they aren't going to get into private conversations between people, but it is not acceptable in any public area under the control of the staff.
If the admin-team reflects the community, then we're very badly represented since a few years.
(01-18-2017, 03:53 PM)Divine Wrote: [ -> ]If the admin-team reflects the community, then we're very badly represented since a few years.

That should just let you know how the community has changed. Can you imagine in 2009 someone coming out and arguing that a cheater should be unbanned?