Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Admin Feedback Thread (Archived)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In my opinion, this new sanction system won't bring much more good than bad.
(06-23-2016, 10:10 PM)St.Denis Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2016, 09:56 PM)Antonio Wrote: [ -> ]Is the right punishment ship deletion though? In that case we might as well skip to the 2nd offense. I was expecting something like a few weeks in prison, he apologizes and asks for release. Ship deletion as 1st offense is pretty harsh and makes little sense considering a 2nd offense is also ship deletion.

It is Ship/Ships deletion.

So punishment for first offense is same as for second, apparently. Could you fix the wording of the rules to reflect that? Currently it's not that clear.
Hey, Badmins, why don't you go to page 1 and read the original post? Maybe take some notes, or vanish. I can put my hand on fire and bet we would do much better without a staff like this one.

Let's see the issues.

1. Most of you complain you have a life, and you can't take decisions over night, you automatically exclude any legit reason of why you offered as admins in the first place and the wise thing to do in this case would be a either you get back to your damn senses and do what you're supposed to do properly or move on, we could find better people.

2. One can't English, so another makes posts for him, cute but unacceptable. Should be replaced.

3. One makes up rules over night and after being proven wrong multiple times by multiple people, acts as if nothing serious happened.

3. Bias. I'm not even gonna get into detail about it, after all you're all just so smart and mighty that whatever you say should be law. No, I'm not gonna play under these "laws", and this "laws" of yours is what's killing it. Congratulations.

I can keep going but I'm just wasting my time typing this. I'm trying to show you my and a few other people's points as we're being tired of this Disco-Admin-Masonry bullcrude behavior.

And oh my god, black widow got called a pootang in system chat, holy cow. Big offense. I mean he did dock, he did give the impression that he really is what he was called (hell, not even sure if that was aimed at him, nor really care, its black widow.) so you gotta delete the ship, even after the other dude apologized. What, you'd like that to be an example as what's it gonna be like from now on? You'd like us to suck your feet so we don't get that punishments?

I r confuse, refresh mind.
(06-24-2016, 09:50 AM)Swifty Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, Badmins, why don't you go to page 1 and read the original post? Maybe take some notes, or vanish. I can put my hand on fire and bet we would do much better without a staff like this one.

Let's see the issues.

1. Most of you complain you have a life, and you can't take decisions over night, you automatically exclude any legit reason of why you offered as admins in the first place and the wise thing to do in this case would be a either you get back to your damn senses and do what you're supposed to do properly or move on, we could find better people.

Did you read said first post? We have decided to do quite a few things via votes as that appears to be a rather fair way of dealing with things as it gets input from all Admins. As stated in said first post which you apparently did read very well, votes are usually carried out on a weekly base, which kind of means that things take a week or a bit longer to be decided and implemented. But maybe you could show which parts of the post you mean. I also have highlightened a few things for you.

(04-05-2015, 06:36 AM)Garrett Jax Wrote: [ -> ]The Admins volunteer their time to care for many aspects of the server. Their responsibilities include enforcing server and forum rules. They also activate new forum accounts. They process various requests including SRP's, Core Upgrade Requests, Faction Creation Requests, Official Faction Perk Requests, Player Requests, Unique Ship Requests, and individual requests from players via PM or Skype that cover a wide range of needs. Additionally, they care for players who have Lost Ships/Accounts, Stuck in Connecticut, Missing Powerplants or have Accounts Banned for non rule violating reasons.

There are other responsibilities that Admins care for, many of them time consuming. For example, tracking down evidence of cheaters/hackers. Many of the Admins spend countless hours talking to players or faction leaders on Skype about various issues that concern them, or simply wanting feedback on some of their ideas. Muddling through Rule violation reports and processing Sanctions takes much time as well.

On top of these duties, the Admins regularly get together to discuss relevant and timely topics that relate to the server. These matters are voted on weekly, and if approved, announced to the Community, and implemented. After all these duties are cared for, they try to find time to actually play the game, which doesn't amount to very much.

Keeping these things in mind, the Admins are opening up this Admin Feedback Thread in order to get community input on how we are serving their needs. This is not a thread to argue any sanction that an individual might have received. The place for that is in your Sanction thread. This is also not a thread to campaign for a spot on the Staff. Lastly, this is not Flood. If you take this thread seriously, we will treat you seriously. If you want to be respected and listened too, then post with a respectful attitude. The Mods will be instructed to invise any post here that does not meet these fair guidelines.

We want to serve the community as best as possible. If you feel an Admin has done his/her job well, then post here noting it. If you feel an Admin could do better, post that too. Hopefully, this thread will provide the Admins with ways in which we can improve the quality of our service towards the community.

(06-24-2016, 09:50 AM)Swifty Wrote: [ -> ]2. One can't English, so another makes posts for him, cute but unacceptable. Should be replaced.
His english certainly isnt perfect, but neither is yours or mine, guess thats what happens if you dont have a team made out of people that dont have english as their first language. Im not aware that anyone has made posts for another person to cover up flaws in that.

(06-24-2016, 09:50 AM)Swifty Wrote: [ -> ]3. One makes up rules over night and after being proven wrong multiple times by multiple people, acts as if nothing serious happened.
See above on how things like that are handled. There was a lot of discussion before these changes were implemented.

(06-24-2016, 09:50 AM)Swifty Wrote: [ -> ]3. Bias. I'm not even gonna get into detail about it, after all you're all just so smart and mighty that whatever you say should be law. No, I'm not gonna play under these "laws", and this "laws" of yours is what's killing it. Congratulations.

How is bias and whatever you call "laws" related? Those are completely different things. Guess this also should be point 4 or something.

(06-24-2016, 09:50 AM)Swifty Wrote: [ -> ]I can keep going but I'm just wasting my time typing this. I'm trying to show you my and a few other people's points as we're being tired of this Disco-Admin-Masonry bullcrude behavior.
Ok, would in general be helpful if you could provide valid feedback the next time. Pointing fingers on posts that you somehow dont seem to have read, while just generally being negative doesnt really count as valid for me. Saying that you "dont even get into detail" about things also doesnt help and will just likely just be ignored.

(06-24-2016, 09:50 AM)Swifty Wrote: [ -> ]And oh my god, black widow got called a pootang in system chat, holy cow. Big offense. I mean he did dock, he did give the impression that he really is what he was called (hell, not even sure if that was aimed at him, nor really care, its black widow.) so you gotta delete the ship, even after the other dude apologized. What, you'd like that to be an example as what's it gonna be like from now on? You'd like us to suck your feet so we don't get that punishments?

I r confuse, refresh mind.
Im sorry, but you dont even seem to know what the sanction was about, neither do you seem to have read the appeal as there doesnt seem to be an apology or some sort of insight from the person in question. Not sure what your other fancy remarks are pointed at, so Ill not comment on these.
If you want your feedback to be taken seriously then I'd advise you to at least have read the relevant parts and not rely on hearsay or wherever else you got your information from.
(06-24-2016, 01:22 PM)Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, would in general be helpful if you could provide valid feedback the next time.
Dismissing Carter's feedback as invalid is pretty bad on your part considering most of the points he has made are true and I (and quite a large chunk of the community which could care less about Discovery) agree with them.

I would first start with getting new admins on board and specifically admins who have and voice their opinions. I'd rather see people that are active and serious about the future of the community (who also happen to have an abundance of spare time, considering their lengthy posts in feedback threads sometimes) rather than just some minor people nobody has seen or cared about before who are there just to sit quietly and nod to whatever the admins come up with.

Also btw the notion of "ascending" some moderators to admins is dumb and you should stop with it.
(06-24-2016, 01:33 PM)Corile Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-24-2016, 01:22 PM)Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, would in general be helpful if you could provide valid feedback the next time.
Dismissing Carter's feedback as invalid is pretty bad on your part considering most of the points he has made are true and I (and quite a large chunk of the community which could care less about Discovery) agree with them.

Which points would that be? This bit of your post is as unspecific as the one in the previous post which I consider to be invalid as it doesnt even give the reader a chance to see what you might mean. I have commented on the parts I consider valid feedback, such as the rules or english skills. Everything else is simply not precise in any way and goes into a direction of 'everything is bad, but I dont tell you what I actually mean'.

(06-24-2016, 01:33 PM)Corile Wrote: [ -> ]I would first start with getting new admins on board and specifically admins who have and voice their opinions. I'd rather see people that are active and serious about the future of the community (who also happen to have an abundance of spare time, considering their lengthy posts in feedback threads sometimes) rather than just some minor people nobody has seen or cared about before who are there just to sit quietly and nod to whatever the admins come up with.

Also btw the notion of "ascending" some moderators to admins is dumb and you should stop with it.

From my experience the most vocal people are a bad choice for a job that requires quite a bit of trust and a certain amount of 'correctness', while the 'minor' people usually have that and a personality that makes working with them as a team possible and even fun.
Im not opposed to get in new Admins, that would likely help quite a bit, but I dont see many candidates I'd consider to do this for more than a month without either burning out or screwing up badly. This is why its usually Mods bring 'promoted', they have proven that they could do the job, so they get a chance.
Im not sure how that is a 'dumb' thing to be honest, it saves us the time of training a new Admin that quits a few weeks later because its not as cool as he expected it to be. To get back to the beginning, this is also no valid feedback as it essentially states that you consider something to be dumb without giving a reason why you do so.
(06-24-2016, 01:33 PM)Corile Wrote: [ -> ]Also btw the notion of "ascending" some moderators to admins is dumb and you should stop with it.

Could you please give like... a reason? See, the thing is "it's dumb" is not actual feedback. That's just a statement without any context, without any arguments, without any details. If you just want to complain feel free, but really if this is going to be the level of your complaints then don't expect anyone to take it serious.

I think this is really something people in general should realize. No one here thinks that the staff has found the perfect way to deal with everything. However, saying things are terrible or dumb or whatever and just leaving at that is incredibly pointless. You can blame the admins for bias, or never listening to the community etc., but I think it's much preferable if issues are discussed rather than shouted in one-liners.

Again the staff is far from perfect, but neither are any individual members of the community. So sure, sometimes admins or mods will have to admit mistakes. At the same time just because a member shouts "bias" without even caring to explain, that doesn't mean that the staff should now hand over their positions to random others.

Sometimes the staff doesn't handle things like they should and sometimes members of the community don't handle things like they should. I am however sure that both are capable of doing better than just bickering and that both sides can sometimes admit they are wrong. Maybe this assumption of mine is wrong and this is just wishful thinking, but I hope not.
(06-24-2016, 02:33 PM)TheJarl Wrote: [ -> ]Could you please give like... a reason?
Moderating a forum is a much less involved job than administrating a game server. Additionally, both of those positions require different skills and qualifications one needs to have. Plus, from personal observations, I've noticed that while being a moderator people become much less involved with the game.

I might have phrased it incorrectly. I meant that electing admins only from among the moderators is stupid and more involved people from the community should also be given the opportunity to become a part of the admin team mostly on the basis that some decisions the admins made have been utterly unhealthy for the community and came about (in my eyes) only as a result of some particular party crying to some particular admin and those decisions had a devastating effect on some other people's enjoyment of the game.
No idea what the peeps above me are arguing about, nor I really give a toss.

Green Team, please muster up some random event for the weekend, please? It would be nice seeing more than 50 peeps online during evenings again. Might I suggest a simple PVP event with BAF, GRN IDs in Leeds? Or maybe let peeps test out the new route between outcasts and corsairs?
The Outcasts vs Corsairs route is probably a better choice than another GRN/BAF event.