Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Admin Feedback Thread (Archived)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(09-05-2016, 08:37 PM)Mímir Wrote: [ -> ]Elected admins won't work. You'll end up with Spazzy like someone in this thread already suggested. Case closed.

How are admins selected right now? From what I understand, the current admins select new admins by a vote only open to the admins.
(09-05-2016, 08:45 PM)Sorrontis Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-05-2016, 08:37 PM)Mímir Wrote: [ -> ]Elected admins won't work. You'll end up with Spazzy like someone in this thread already suggested. Case closed.

How are admins selected right now? From what I understand, the current admins select new admins by a vote only open to the admins.

It's an interview process then follow-up vote by existing Administrators.

Having a public election wouldn't go well at all.
(09-05-2016, 08:50 PM)Vendetta Wrote: [ -> ]
It's an interview process then follow-up vote by existing Administrators.

Having a public election wouldn't go well at all.

I agree, a free election wouldn't be good, But a forum-team election (dev, admins, angels, mods) might be enough of an open vote to balance things out. The current system is simply an echo chamber. If the candidate doesn't match the ideas of the current admins, they are not likely to get the part. And how did the current admins get their position, by echo the positions of the previous admin group. Obviously, noone would ever publish the results of a vote, because, unless it unanimous, we're just going to have even more division.

Maybe I'm wrong and the admins are a diverse bunch with a ton of interadmin conflict. It's just not what I see playing out on the boards.
(09-05-2016, 08:50 PM)Vendetta Wrote: [ -> ]Having a public election wouldn't go well at all.

It was done once in the past if I remember, all the way back to 2012. I don't recall any new admin coming out of it.
(09-05-2016, 08:59 PM)Alley Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-05-2016, 08:50 PM)Vendetta Wrote: [ -> ]Having a public election wouldn't go well at all.

It was done once in the past if I remember, all the way back to 2012. I don't recall any new admin coming out of it.

Indeed. There was a time where there was a public elimination process where names were selected from those who applied to toss their hat in the ring for a shot at becoming admin. I applied and made it all the way through to the last five names on the list. , and someone else were made admin instead. It wasn't a public voting process nor were there any public indications as to what method was being used to rule out those who weren't suitable candidates, but to me it was nice to follow the process and see who could be made a staff member.
On the contrary, Widow, Tanker, Sarawr, Stygian, etc did become admins, and did win a majority community vote. They were largely good choices who eventually burnt out, with a few exceptions.
(09-05-2016, 08:41 PM)Irwin Wrote: [ -> ]But, an important thing to remember when you attempt to demonize popularity contests is that people are popular in this community for a reason. People aren't popular members of the community when they fail to contribute to the server or improve people's experience in game. Believe it or not, they're popular for doing exactly the opposite. The current staff has even go so far as to create the facade of democracy by giving us the opportunity to vote for new members of the moderation team.

Popularity is not a constant, and cannot be determined just by a single factor. It's numerous of them, and one is - personal feelings.
Personal feelings are the seeds of bias and thus of abuse. They should have no place in the decision making processes of anything staff related.

One might be good at organizing events, leading a faction, or simply being a lead figure in events that the rest of the community greatly enjoyed. This however, does not mean they are in any way capable of separating fact from fiction, feelings from reality and being a player from being an admin.
(09-05-2016, 09:30 PM)Tarator Wrote: [ -> ]...

Personal feelings are the seeds of bias and thus of abuse. They should have no place in the decision making processes of anything staff related.

So, do you think that giving the smallest number of people possible the most amount of power, it will decrease the possibility of bias and abuse? In the opinion of many smarter people, that is not the case.
Quite frankly i couldnt care less who is an admin as long as they use better judgement and know their own limitations,you cant change up events cuz of your own ideology for what the server should be like,people get out of their way to gather up and have fun and some ... person ... who thinks hes above them screws everything up cuz of his own ego and bias,he shouldnt even be capable of saying anything at that point,the event post was up for over 2 weeks and he wines about it half an hour before the start?Events are the lifeblood of the server at the moment,with conn drawing up the more pvp oriented out of their systems and distances geting bigger every damned update people just dont have contact with eachother,thats the main problem,
If you want a method to change the admins then put up some requirements like an admin cant be someone who has less than 3 years on disco and has not been active in at least 4-5 completely different factions . From then on let people apply,discard the useless at pvp,discard the hard rp fanatics and let the leaders of all factions + all the admins and devs vote on it and done. Cuz quite frankly at this point i think even Meph would do a better job...no offence Meph,you know i love ya .
At the end of the day,whats gonna happen is this,everyone is gonna forget about all the problems and just keep playing till the server dies in 3 years time or less,unless someone actually does some work done.
Haven't it by a chance came trough your mind, Mimir, than perhaps lack of "PvP-type person" on admin staff isn't an issue as much as your obvious PvP fixation is? How all this stuff you hate admins for wouldn't have happened if people didn't abuse existing framework and rules to the max for their own gain?

When Pirate ID nerf happened I've read reactions to it and couldn't have helped but smirk at your posts. Guy who spent time flying around Pirate ID snub dropping /1 set to "Pay 1mil or die" at navies or pirates to provoke PvP was shocked that admin team dysliked such use for Pirate IP. You are like a child that slapped the dog when nobody looked and is now screaming because it eventually turned around to bite back. God knows how far in your obsession about blues you've exploited and abused existing ruleset.

I'm nobody. I could count on my fingers the no. of guys on GC I've ran into that I consider "discofriends" or something. I was never recognizable, I was never cared about. Perhaps because of that I've happened to get "nobody treatment" from the community. Someone here (Irwin?) blamed the admins on GC bleeding players. My experiences tell me that you guys have no bone to pick against admins. The community itself spends great deal of time establishing some wicked caste system with its own rules of engagement, aristocracy, commoners servants and pariahs. You guys are wasting no time to make sure that everybody gets shown his/her place. I hate the term "microaggression", it smells of something bored rich kids from tumblr tout around, but it fits my expieriences perfectly. I still remember how my first pvp on GC, and one with no one lese but one of the Reavers ended with green pm telling me "// what a waste of time, just fly zoner". And then there was MND Oder targetting noob helium traders in Penn that I was advised on skype to "deal with" and "stahp" because apparently nobody cares about upstarting players only beggining anyway.

The outrage we are witnessing right now is merely fallout of admins hitting the establishment. As soon as you step outside one of many disco's big tribes, you find out that the sentiment wasn't "what the hell were they thinking banning those pillars of the community" but "oh god, why it took them so long?".

I mean, guy who's way of handling disagreements with people was going to skype to tell them to "go get cancer and die" was obviously such a fine example for the community. He was strong character and those are great, aint they? Or guy who's idea for coexistence with other factions was "oh, you'll do as I say or we'll hound you out. We've got skill and numbers for that". Inteacting with some of them made me feel like its middle school again and its only matter of time somebody will go flushing others in toilet again.

> People aren't popular members of the community when they fail to contribute to the server or improve people's experience in game.

Or they simply don't give in to the groupthink. What if its that simple?