Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Admin Feedback Thread (Archived)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You are quite far off the mark, Riess: I never used setmsg, I always typed out the full "2 mil or dai", tyvm. Also, I think I know you as little as you know me, in the grand scheme of things we're all nobodies. Personally I don't have a problem with admins, I don't really know who runs the show these days. I also have 0% warning, so I guess they don't have a problem with me either. I liked Garrett even though he was advocating for nuking the Pirate ID - things like 'nuances' and 'balanced views' do exist, try not to assume too much about mine or anyone else's agenda. Chances are that you are wrong.

My fixation on PVP is due to the fact that there were problems already when I stopped playing. For instance the common misconception that liking PVP = shameless bluehunting - I was trying to solely collect tagged or known baddies, although it didn't always work out for me as I was never even at the top-tier of PVP'ers. Though I realized long ago that no matter what you do that somehow includes guns within the game, people are going to label you as "omg evil bluehunter/no-rp pierat" and disregard everything you have to say, even when it's said with good intent, so I don't bother sugarcoating my posts. To some narrow-minded people, I know that everything I type, I type because I want an easy blue, even when I am not playing the game of course. I'm not going to lose any sleep over that, we live in a world where half the population suffers from below average intelligence afterall. The other half of us have to deal with that on a daily basis, we get used to it. There was (is?) a lot of negative behavior towards PVP (evident in your post, even) and it showed in-game with people syswalling or using admin commands to suicide on their RP-characters and so on and so forth, and all people did at the time was cry about some guy in a gunboat logging to pew every day, keeping lots of people entertained until he was banned and the ID nuked...

There was a strong desire to streamline everything, including PVP, and to me that can only be seen as a result of ignorance rather than malice. In times before, it was different. That mindset, the one of streamlining and controlling players (I heard rumors that now it is even put down in text specifically what a pirate can and cannot demand), has spilled over into the mess you are seeing now. The event shut-down was a misguided attempt at safeguarding a text-chat RP-environment, done haphazardly but with good intentions because it was treated from a very one-sided narrow perspective - something that I'd wager wouldn't have happened if there'd been more balance surrounding the decision-making.

That's why I am suggesting bringing balance to the team by recruiting someone different than dedicated text-chat carebear types. It should be fairly obvious, but I guess I really have to point out that I am not promoting a total anarchy PVP-server, all I am suggesting is a bit more balance by including 1 Admin with a different set of views and varied experience to complement the rest of the team. Ideally the admin team should mirror the different attitudes and approaches to the game, and PVP has been a central aspect of the game and mod since inception.
(09-05-2016, 11:15 PM)Mímir Wrote: [ -> ]You are quite far off the mark, Riess: I never used setmsg, I always typed out the full "2 mil or dai", tyvm.

Ok, this makes your behaviour when chasing blues perfectly valid then.

(09-05-2016, 11:15 PM)Mímir Wrote: [ -> ]try not to assume too much about mine or anyone else's agenda. Chances are that you are wrong.

I'll assume by what I see. If I see person taking voice exclusively on the single matter, remember crossing paths with such person all being "pay 2 mil or die ENGAGING!!!!" with zilch RP, I'll approach him/her as individual focused only on that slice of the gameplay. I would've tought differently if I've seen you participate in RP instead.

Reading counterpoints you raise I can't help but to reiterate: you are feeling besieged by "carebears" because you have reduced your game presence to chasing blues with minimum necessary RP to get by the rules. This makes people you cross paths with consider you non-RP'r and extrapolate from it.

I don't know whole story about event, I'll admit that way how Hannibal replied to feedback in this thread isn't something they teach at PR 101, but then, I've seen Admins do plenty weird things that don't make for good case of how one manages and policies the community. I hope they'll draw the line, and not only for themselves but others too, or the quality of dialogue within community will keep detoriating.
Quote:I'll assume by what I see. If I see person taking voice exclusively on the single matter, remember crossing paths with such person all being "pay 2 mil or die ENGAGING!!!!" with zilch RP, I'll approach him/her as individual focused only on that slice of the gameplay.

I bet some people will be surprised to hear that that funnily enough is how some of the staff members make personal judgements regarding some of the players around here. Assuming by what we see.

Those assumptions and observations can not be used in sanctions regretfully, though you sure as heck can bet that I'm not going to be friendly towards someone who lacks the ability to be friendly to some of the people around themselves.

We're not all that different than a majority of the players in the community. Of course we might not conform with a few of your visions. Though I can say with absolute certainty that everyone on the staff has a different view of the place. We're not all the same, acting to our unified vision or something. That'd be silly.
Riess, sarcasm is a thing. I'm going to entertain your vivid imagination one final time: When did you ever encounter one of my characters going "pay 2 mil or die ENGAGING!!!!" in-game and which character was it? To me it sounds pretty much like you are making this up as you go along, but please do enlighten me.

(09-06-2016, 12:04 AM)King Boo Wrote: [ -> ]Though I can say with absolute certainty that everyone on the staff has a different view of the place. We're not all the same, acting to our unified vision or something. That'd be silly.

Well, how did it come to this then? When random bans were passed and so on, why didn't anyone say "uhm guys, what are we doing?" When I browse back, I can find a shared statement of admins, each with their own individual way of saying essentially the same thing, it really didn't look very balanced at all to the outside reader. Obviously I don't know what discussions you had, but it came across as quite one-sided and - well - silly.

EDIT: Also from what I can read on the forums Snak3 was banned for 'toxic behaviour', which was shooting Junkers and claiming them on a board. I'm still baffled by that one...
(09-06-2016, 12:04 AM)King Boo Wrote: [ -> ]Those assumptions and observations can not be used in sanctions regretfully, though you sure as heck can bet that I'm not going to be friendly towards someone who lacks the ability to be friendly to some of the people around themselves.

Is that why you ignored my skype pm???? Sad
(09-06-2016, 12:04 AM)King Boo Wrote: [ -> ]regretfully
And that one word indicates everything presently wrong with the admin team and this community.
(09-06-2016, 12:04 AM)King Boo Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I'll assume by what I see. If I see person taking voice exclusively on the single matter, remember crossing paths with such person all being "pay 2 mil or die ENGAGING!!!!" with zilch RP, I'll approach him/her as individual focused only on that slice of the gameplay.

I bet some people will be surprised to hear that that funnily enough is how some of the staff members make personal judgements regarding some of the players around here. Assuming by what we see.

Those assumptions and observations can not be used in sanctions regretfully, though you sure as heck can bet that I'm not going to be friendly towards someone who lacks the ability to be friendly to some of the people around themselves.

We're not all that different than a majority of the players in the community. Of course we might not conform with a few of your visions. Though I can say with absolute certainty that everyone on the staff has a different view of the place. We're not all the same, acting to our unified vision or something. That'd be silly.

In what sane mind are assumptions equivalent to knowledge? The fact that you've even made this post outlines a huge portion of what I think is wrong with the current administration. Doesn't the saying go something about making asses out of you and me?

Furthermore, the fact that you find it regrettable that you cannot use opinions that you've drawn without even getting to know a person or attempting to see things from their perspective as sanction evidence is outright disturbing.

What you need, is some community eliminated (ie; putting admin candidates through an elimination process via the community and then picking some - or better yet - all of those who make it to the top five, or three, or whatever.) admins.

Then you need to implement some legitimate checks and balances which exist outside of the admin team. I know how very difficult this will be for you given the disdain you've expressed for 'popular' community opinion, but if you actually have any vested interest in not seeing the ship sink, that's the way to go.
Making assumptions and judgments on those assumptions, on a players behavior is something that can be remedied through dialogue.

Maybe I'm an idealist, and my experiences aren't the same - but I had an instance once where a person absolutely hated me because my behavior was terrible, and they based their entire opinion on me just from my forum posts. However, those posts were made because of an emotionally charged issue I was in the middle of, and most of them were from an IC standpoint.

I talked to this person on Skype. Not because I wanted to, but because a friend of this person encouraged her to talk to ME. We became friends after that. It led to beneficial and cooperative RP. I still consider this person a friend, even though I haven't talked to them in a long time.

My point is this. If you think negatively on someone you've never had any interaction with outside of being an audience to their negativity, all you'll ever judge them on is that alone.

My two cents.
(09-06-2016, 12:04 AM)King Boo Wrote: [ -> ]Those assumptions and observations can not be used in sanctions regretfully, though you sure as heck can bet that I'm not going to be friendly towards someone who lacks the ability to be friendly to some of the people around themselves.

Before we all jump on Boo for the "regretfully" comment. I'd like to make sure that he meant exactly what the current sentence means. We've all had brainfarts before, maybe he confused himself.
The root of the whole problem with this server is clearly visible on the previous page of this thread. The bit where the Dev team is sniping at the Admin team (yes that's right, two teams of people that don't work together and regularly and openly blame each other, are the ones you hope to provide you with a harmonious gaming environment... Let that sink in.)

If you can't even display unity in the group(s) that controls everyone's gaming experience, how can you hope to unify the server into a happy gaming environment?

There are many things fundamentally wrong here in this community, but you all know what they are. You are literally having the same circular arguments every time I check in here, so you are no closer to acting on any of the solutions it would appear.