Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Faction sub-forum self-moderation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
There's something that's puzzled me for a while now, and it's faction sub-forums not making use of local moderation. 99% of forum software has the capability to appoint local moderators, which allows for individuals to be given a specific permission mask within a specific area, i.e. moderation tools within their own forum.

Local moderators generally don't have access to ModCP or user IP data, only being able to use thread administrative tools (invis/unvis, delete, merge threads, etc). The specific options they can use can usually be tailored through the AdminCP, providing your board software isn't completely useless.

Why put an additional burden on board admins and mods with faction subforum moderation requests, when leaders can just do it themselves? I mean, leaders are already tracked in order to give them a blue user title, so it's not like not knowing who they are would pose a realistic obstacle.

Pros:
  1. Removes unnecessary workload from global mods.
  2. Utilises existing (I would hope) board functionality, not requiring masses of permission groups to be set up.
  3. Moderation actions are logged and can be rolled back if a leader goes berserko.
  4. Faction subforums are generally only used by the faction itself, with external RP happening in the comms area. All the faction could abuse is itself.
  5. Local moderation powers can be stripped in literally 2 minutes. Operate a 1 strike policy to abuse, and the faction loses the privilege if they dick around with it.

Cons:
  1. Faction leaders can be jerks/muppets because there's no procedure for determining who they are or how they're selected.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Bonus feedback! Looks like your BBcode lists don't work for basic bulletpoints. You have to use numerical lists instead.
In theory I agree with all of that Jaime.

In practice I'm against because us mods have to have something to do. Srs.
Makes sense, good call.
I know that feeling. When I was a mod, Disco would churn out 20+ pages of threads a day. Now if you click on 'show today's posts' there's 6 or less. Scary stuff.
I remember being angry at Summer when he became admin because he kept doing mod job, and there was nothing left for mods to do.

Dem admins, stealing our jobs!...
Nah. I should not be able to moderate stuff my members posts.
I approve.
(cause more powah to Zayne)
I would like this too. It'd be a hell of a lot easier if faction leaders (or faction accounts) could just do it themselves. We have blue names, why not give them some abilities?
Yes please Smile
at the very least, I'd like the ability to remove posts made by nubbies that post in faction subforums (outside of the recruitment posts mind) and say:

"Helo

i wud leik 2 join tis factshun now

you rp cool

i am gud fly-man

kthxbai"

Pages: 1 2 3