Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Alt-tabbing crashes the game.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm quite sure some people already had this problem, but I started encountering it today as well, which is rather infuriating. When I alt-tab the game and want to come back, it crashes. Alt+enter crashes the game immidiately and turning on windowed in the launcher creates a blackscreen that I can leave only with task manager.

I already reinstalled Freelancer and Disco and it keeps happening. Halp?

Crash log:
Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    Freelancer.exe
  Application Version:    88.0.0.3
  Application Timestamp:    00534d69
  Fault Module Name:    StackHash_8434
  Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:    00000000
  Exception Code:    c000041d
  Exception Offset:    752c4cad
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    1045
  Additional Information 1:    8434
  Additional Information 2:    843495b1847392bef7fdde27355000fd
  Additional Information 3:    3d0d
  Additional Information 4:    3d0d4a09844d62ca82e1cc3d7cae684a

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

After a suggestion from the Help chat I also tried turning off all the parametres in the Launcher but that still doesn't help.
Seems like I managed to fix it for now, Shadowplay was the issue. Now, off to determine how to run shadowplay without crashing the game...
I have the same exact issue...
Similar problem here, only for the small detail that I can get rid of the black screen only by Alt-Tabbing back to FL and spamming F4. (or signing out of my account, but that's lame). If I want to use other stuff while playing FL, I have to go into the windowed mode.
Have you tried not alt-tabbing?
(05-03-2015, 10:06 PM)Jam Wrote: [ -> ]Similar problem here, only for the small detail that I can get rid of the black screen only by Alt-Tabbing back to FL and spamming F4. (or signing out of my account, but that's lame). If I want to use other stuff while playing FL, I have to go into the windowed mode.

I've been having the exact same issue also
You are still running that enterprise version 8| ?

Anyways, you should try this : http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=112362

Download his app, run the game in windowed - maximize it to fullscreen via his app. Voilla, now alt-tab without any problems. I'm using this method in every game, to listen music in background without having to actually minimize the game.

I know this is only a temporary solution for you, as playing in windowed mode drops your fps slightly. If you should play on an older machine, I do not recommend this method. However, I hope that it solves your problem temp-wise at least
After a bit of research as well as help from Shadowplay forums we managed to nail down the issue.

Solution 1: Quick Fix
Turn off shadow recording in the ShadowPlay preferences. That will cause the game not to display the overlay and in turn won't crash until you start recording. After you record anything, the game will start crashing again and you will have to restart the game. Apply this if you need your nvidia drivers for any other games.

Solution 2: Downgrade
1. Uninstall everything associated with Nvidia. For that I'd suggest getting CCleaner and then uninstalling Experience, PhysX, 3D Vision, HD Audio Driver and finally Graphics Driver.
2. Reboot your PC.
3. Install Nvidia Driver Package 344.75. It also contains an eariler version of Experience that does not crash the game.
4. Reboot your PC.
5. Configure ShadowPlay as you please, turn it on and off.
6. Reboot your PC.
7. Turn ShadowPlay on. Everything should work now.