Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: AOE3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The title says most of it but I will add some more.
Aoe3 is my 2nd favorite game (Freelancers 1st) and I just love it. I play all of the expansions and was just wondering who else has it here and if any of you are a high rank on Eso online.

Edit: For those who don't play it there are two expansions "The War Chiefs" and "The Asian Dynasties"
I play it (not online, let's just say i guess i won't be able to do it), and i didn't like it very much.

AI is quite poor in my opinion. I've played a couple skirmishes in "moderate" level, which was challenging to a point in AoEII, and the only time i have been in some kind of risk.. is when 10 ranged infantry units reached my town walls and were vaporized by the towers and artillery defences without almost any damage, while on my single attacks i ..also vaporized them with only one regiment and a couple artillery units. I'll have to see how it behaves in difficult.Also, units look very similar from above, when in AoEII they had clear differences.

And the 100% hit rate of long range units is something i hate. AoEII did this more realistic, with bullets of jennisaries and archers missing; even with 100% hit rate, a unit takes a long while to be killed by a similar unit.

Formation and behavior of troops management is a down too. In AoEII you could select the formation (Row, square, disperse, random, flank) and then behavior (Agressive, defensive, stationary, apatic). Now, the behavior forces a certain formation, unless you switch it while stationary and not order them to move at all.

Well.. and warships do strange maneuvers. reverse thrust to then turn and changing direction?...

EDIT: Hmmm... next difficulty level seems better. I'll have to be more strategic with it

Guess i was dissapointed.
I agree with all points but the AI point play on the hardest setting and you will get a good game. Just watching ships move around makes me crack up laughing
I have then game aswell, one of my favorite games too. I always play the germans. but i never play online.
im not sure how aoe3 stacks up against the other big guns in hoistorical rtses today :-

empire(s?) at war
medieval total war (2?)
rise of nations (this is now free to download)
im sure there are other Civ style rtses around...

not to forget :-
supreme commander- which i suspect it eh current benchmark for bleeding edge rts?
I like AoE3 and the Expansions for my Fav RTS games they are on Number 2 C&C series is on 1st *duh*
I cant Play Online tho I have a Downloaded AoE3 The Expanions are Bought :P