Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: backup of disco?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A thought came to me..
What files do I backup for freelancer..

Including vanilla...
Like suppose a friend wants the game from my PC
How do I give it without using a cd?
Best is to use an iso of the game. But even if you have the original CD, is it legal to install another instance of the game on another computer ?
I dunno :|
Should be Program Files, Microsoft Games, Freelancer. Just re-download the mod from this website.
And that is the only file I need to get started, king boo?
well no that wont work, as when games/progs are being installed, it put stuff in registry, thats what an install actually does, on rare occasions copying game/progs folders over to another comp can work only if the type of prog doesnt need any other files from comp and/or another prog will need to know where that file is

eg

you install freelancer into a drive you got space called D:/ into a fold called GAMES, so its D:/GAMES

a registry file is written to tell your comp that freelancer is in that directory

if a mod is installed that needs to extract files from the original folder .e.g. disco, it needs to know where freelancer files are, the registry tells it that, without the registry being told, it will create an error, as it doesnt know where to look

thats the normal case anyway, im not entirely sure if you can just copy across freelancer and disco and itll work....unless

im wondering if when everything is copied across into the disco folder, and as we use the exe in the disco folder, would just copying over work,

to be honest

dunno

glad to help
If your friend is cheap enough to want to rip the game off your hard drive, they probably won't be beyond using a torrent either.

As evanz has said, just copy/pasting the files over will probably give you a corrupt install, which also messed up Discovery. A messedd up Discovery install can cause kick/ban problems when you try to log in.

Using an actual installer is always preferable.
Exactly. That's why I said previously best is an iso but legal issues.
Alright I'll keep this in mind then...

Yeah the only thing I am wondering is the vanilla disco since you can get everything else from the site...

So me backing up all traces of disco vanilla wont help because it needs to register it all right?

So just cd or cheap way?

I see