Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Star Supernovas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a few quick questions for the community. So, do you think we have stars in disco that are big enough to go supernova? And if so, what do you think a system would be like if it's star went supernova? I'm just curious. Having a star explode halfway though .88 and visiting said system would be interesting. What do you guys think?

(Also, was the neutron star in O-41 made because of a supernova?)
(05-29-2015, 12:21 PM)Snoopy Wrote: [ -> ]Just a few quick questions for the community. So, do you think we have stars in disco that are big enough to go supernova? And if so, what do you think a system would be like if it's star went supernova? I'm just curious. Having a star explode halfway though .88 and visiting said system would be interesting. What do you guys think?

(Also, was the neutron star in O-41 made because of a supernova?)
Well, its hard to tell, i would say the neutron star in O-41 Was formed from a supernova, because thats how they form IRL, But it would be difficult to say, as the stars are much more scaled down to fit within the Disco world, but i would say stars like the one in New berlin, or Omega-11 would go supernova, but thats just what i imagine!
(05-29-2015, 12:21 PM)Snoopy Wrote: [ -> ]Just a few quick questions for the community. So, do you think we have stars in disco that are big enough to go supernova? And if so, what do you think a system would be like if it's star went supernova? I'm just curious. Having a star explode halfway though .88 and visiting said system would be interesting. What do you guys think?
We've got plenty of stars that are big enough, but I don't think there are any systems with stars that are at that stage of their life in Discovery as of right now, at least not as far as I can recall. Can't say I've looked that hard at all the star infocards, though. It would perhaps indeed be interesting to have star system with a star that was about to go supernova, as supernovas usually take place in a short enough time span (unlike most stellar events) to make it interesting and/or plausible on a human timescale (i.e. months/years, mod releases). Could make for some interesting lore/RP around the affected star system and neighboring systems, I suppose; the event itself would be visible across most of Sirius.

(05-29-2015, 12:21 PM)Snoopy Wrote: [ -> ](Also, was the neutron star in O-41 made because of a supernova?)
Yup! Happened shortly before humanity arrived in the Sirius sector. There's also the O-85 black hole, of course.

EDIT: And the old Tau-42 system.
As to the question of what a post Super Nova system would look like in reality, whole lot of nothing with a neutron star in the middle.

Before a nova event, the star super-giants out, generally engulfing anywhere from orbits O-3 to O-6 inward. That eliminates anything within the liquid water/habitable zone of most stars.

Afterwards, except for timescale of the video, the Freelancer starting vid demonstrates a fairly accurate representation of a nova event; the vid is way into superluminal speeds for the distance involved in the timeframe it plays out. After all, Earth, at 93M miles from the sun, is approximately 8 1/3 light minutes.
There would be nothing to visit. Everything will be stripped or shoved out of orbit. There's also the problem of high amounts of radiation and a gravity shift. Only neutron stars and black holes can be the result of a super nova. If a star would to go up, that system is done for.
Regarding this thing... There was a Gallic system with very big blue giant, but it got retconned I believe.

I risk the statement that actually it was the system with now the biggest gas giant in Gallia, which is the centre of the system.