Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Poll: Ingame list: show rank or faction affiliation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
We have the possibility to replace the rank with the faction affiliation. We've discussed replacing the system location with the faction affiliation but came to the conclusion it would cause more problems ingame than it's worth.

[Image: bzW3VIT.png]

Instead of displaying the player's rank, we have the possibility to display his affiliation.

Instead of "Bob_Moof 85 Omicron Delta" it would read "Bob_Moof Junkers Omicron Delta".
Discuss.
this would be pretty awesome actaully +1 for this.
The change seems like in the end it would only encourage more metagaming. No from me
I can imagine this being fun as hell, and 150% more useful than rank, but also potentially problematic. Although mind you, if you're a capital ship or trader people would meta you by name or rank anyway. Changing that to affiliation wouldn't make a huge deal of difference. I think years back we used to have an external online player list that did list affiliation and ship type as well as the current info. That got used for bounty hunting a lot.

The only net difference you might see is for example, indies being hunted to the same extent as official factions. Using Omega 7 as an example, Daumann indies would be just as conspicuous on the player list as people flashing DHC- in their name. I don't know if that's to be taken as a good or bad thing.

Would potentially also lead to an uptick in corporate piracy. Most corps can only target specific other groups which they would likely only bump into haphazardly. This would enable more targeted encounters with specific factions, whether the player were indy or official. Again, that's debatable as to whether it's a pro or con.

On the plus side, equality and increased encounters between specific factions that have reasons to brawl. On the downside, all of the prior is being enabled by metagaming. Tough one. Trial run for one month?
Seems to me this would be really pointless for just about any faction or factionette out there, they already have a tag. This only really changes things for ships without a tag.
Pros:
-Would make organizing things with indies so much easier, you don't have to have the nasty surprise of finding out The.Core in Omicron Delta actually isn't Core ID'd.
-Would make it easier to find things for the sake of pvp and piracy

Cons:
-Would encourage meta, however would it be any different to the meta we currently have?
This is a tricky one - that would be awesome to find out if there was other indies of the same faction but - you get powergaming issues
eg

"OH HEY LOOK A ROGUE IN CALIFORNIA, TEHEEEEE LETS GO THE OTHER WAY"

it's a pro and a con, also what would IFF-less people appear as? just blank?

We could always run a trial yes. As for the metagaming, I think people that already actively do it will have no use for this as they already have their own ways.
(05-30-2015, 04:14 PM)Leppy Wrote: [ -> ]The change seems like in the end it would only encourage more metagaming. No from me

what do you think the player list is?, its the 1st thing that people do, when logging a ship is to see who is where

on the other hand you could say:

"hey theres a few img/alg/osc etc etc people in a system, ill log one of my own because i have an indie/official to help out"

it might increase interaction between groups
This would be good, but maybe try and replace the system or remove the system from this chat window but +1 for me
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6