Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: WIng Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger -- the Game that Built Freelancer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know how many of us here have played WC3, but her eis a pretty good description of what the game was like :-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Commande...rt_of_the_Tiger

I played WC1, 2 and 3. 1 and 2 had those polygon graphics but still had that edge of the pants dogfighting fear levels - when you pull back on the joystick going "Eeeaaarghhh!!!" trying to dodge some incoming missile or explosion in your windscreen...

WC3 was and still is pretty phenomenal. The colkour so fthe cap ships and fighters are brilliant: sky blue, orange, steel grey. The motion movies are soso for me but wow the dogfights and cap ships were enormous.

I cant recall precisley.. but i think the cap ship weapons were still invisible (but still damamged fighters).

Regrettably, I couldnt complete WC3:(I think i reached mid way and kept dying and dying lmao.

But the graphics in this game -- yes truly marvellous and still is to me. I still have the 4 CDs.

Anyone else have them?

ps -- and of course all credit to Crhis Roberts (and his team) maker of WC and Freelancer.
I loved WC3 and WC4, some of the best space fighter sims ever made IMO.

You should go find a copy of wing commander 4 and play through it. It lacked the cool kitty people but had an even better storyline.
i think thats too old for me - the first wing commander i remember is wing commander prophecy. - and even then i was too young to really care much for it. - i just remember it cause a friend played that along with privateer something.

the kitty guys look cute though.
Wing commander 1/2:
[Image: kilrathi.jpg]

Wing commander 3:
[Image: kilrathi.jpg]

Wing commander 4:
[Image: kilrathi_poll_wc4.jpg]

Wing commander movie:
[Image: austin-kilrathi.jpg]

The evolution =P I think they did horrible on them in the movie TBH.
I still have this on the original playstaion I did really like it at the time although I'm struggling to remember the actual combat in it the movie cutscenes were great though I liked the fact you could pick your decisions the whole way through. I completed it at least twice to see the different effects of decisions on the plot.

And I recall the wingman element as well where you could give them tasks that worked well it's one thing freelancer should have attempted to copy.

I'd like to see them make one with todays technology and a multiplayer option if it was done right it could be an outstanding game
Wow this is a blast from the past. I remember as a kid, my father and I playing WC 1. We were amazed that the lips on the characters moved somewhat in sync with the audio. lol
I played Wing Commander I, circa 1990... on a 286/100 mhz computer...

played through it many times.

privateer was better, and freelancer is a direct descendant of privateer