Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Squids or Frogs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Spazzy and Yuri brought up an interesting thought in the mirrorshare a few minutes ago

So I was curious what other people's thoughts werr on the matter:

Who makes a better "main bad guy"?

Gallia?
Or the Nomads?
Nomads, hands down. I support the idea of a fifth house, but am also of the opinion they should launch a major offensive in Gallia, reducing its place in the mod and taking their rightful place as the major villain in the Discovery timeline.
the only main bad guy is the one who turns red into blue the most
Nomads.
Nomads are simple, in a good way though. Their objectives are reduced to "kill all humans". It's straightforward and to the point. Top that off with the fact that the humans of Sirius actually don't know a lot about them, it makes them a dangerous and mysterious enemy. They also all function as a collective intelligence. "One goal, one mind, one purpose".

Gallia on the other hand has all sorts of other diplomacy whereby they're not really true villains in comparison. Honestly I don't even see them as villains. They're just another house with different diplomacy, objectives, ships, bases and lore. Gallia also has a lot more individuality, and these individuals can show different attitudes and emotions when met with other factions.

Also what Meph said. Suncrush all the Gallic systems.
I say both. While the Nomads are the ultimate enemy for all the humanity (and AI), Gallics are something that had a lot of work put in. I don't say it's the best house, because it has some obvious flaws and all that... yet... I like them and I like the idea.

I believe the tick behind Gallia lies within vanillia Junkers, because, as you remember, they had that funny card:

Quote:Junkers are an itinerant population of unknown origin who comb debris fields looking for scrap and equipment that can either be repurposed or sold for cash.

As you can remember, majority of the Junkers (in vanillia) had the unique names of all houses. They had, in chances 1:2, the French names, as far as I recall from vanillia Freelancer. This could be main reason behind French House. But why it were French? We won't know, until original creator of Gallia would speak.

I don't know if that thing is connected with Freelancer universe (because the simplest explanation for name Junkers is "junk"), I found out something very interesting behind original term here.

Another funny finding of mine is here.
Gallia or Fusion (3rd Option.)

It's very difficult to do a Nomad resurgence Arc in a way that isn't simply Single Player 2.0. One of my Principal interests in the GRN was to create a sort of unified front with the Nomads, presenting a complex and multi-faceted single antagonist instead of two separate ones. A lot of people did like that approach, but it was not carried on. That being said, A Gallia-Nomad fusion is a natural sequence of events in my mind. The Nomads would find it relatively simple to wield the blunt force instrument that is Gallia's Navy, and Gallia in turn would be fascinated and drawn by the exotic technology and prospects that the Nomads offer.
(06-07-2015, 08:44 PM)Fluffyball Wrote: [ -> ]I believe the tick behind Gallia lies within vanillia Junkers, because, as you remember, they had that funny card:

Quote:Junkers are an itinerant population of unknown origin who comb debris fields looking for scrap and equipment that can either be repurposed or sold for cash.

As you can remember, majority of the Junkers (in vanillia) had the unique names of all houses. They had, in chances 1:2, the French names, as far as I recall from vanillia Freelancer.

I don't know if that thing is connected with Freelancer universe (because the simplest explanation for name Junkers is "junk"), I found out something very interesting behind original term here.

Another funny finding of mine is here.
The Junker lore which stated their origin was from Gallia was retconned (thank god) since it was ridiculous: all Junkers were honhonhon french, Junkers stole all the lane schematics and gave them to gallia and more crazy things etc.

Junkers right now don't really have an origin. On one hand, It'd be great to see it explained, but on the other I really wouldn't mind their origin being left unknown. This is what makes them truly the biggest baddies of Sirius
Excuse me? Nomads are the good guys. They are protecting their home, retaliating against the human invasion.

That having been said, Gallia was a great antagonist when originally introduced because of the imminence and scale of the invasion.
But now they're neutral with half the Sirian houses, the conquest has ground to a standstill (temporarily?), and Samura 5kers roam their lanes.

You can't really compare them to Nomads, the unknowable enemy that has no diplomacy to speak of.

(06-07-2015, 08:34 PM)Yber Wrote: [ -> ]the only main bad guy is the one who turns red into blue the most

This is kinda true though. That's what makes something scary.
Could be anyone, not just the ones mentioned above.
I voted Nomads

but imo liberty are the bad guys
Where are the "Space Toasters", but as the topic states "Who is the main enemy I would basically put in "Mankind" on the end and have the conlusion my vote goes to Nomads, even though the main enemy of mankind is the mankind itself.
Pages: 1 2