Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: OoRP Naming
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is something there was a crackdown on a while back. Infact one of my chars got re-named by hoodlum. My (entirely serious >.> honest...) lane hacker character who flies a dagger got the name changed from LPY?-AllYourBase, to something far more sensible. Fortunately Hoodlum did give me a choice of name, rather than just re-naming me to 'You're_an_idiot'.

Despite my slight hiccup in naming ships, I do think that people should have proper names. It annoyed the hell out of me seeing l33t in names, or just random strings of symbols. Infact ther was one corsair a while back (I know who this is so they won't be too mad about me mentioning it) who was simply called '?'...

In fights you have no idea how annoying this was

Commander: Target ?
everyone else: target who?
commander: ?... target ?
everyone: dude you ain't making any sence
Commander: oh ffs! target the guy with the questionmark as a name!
' Wrote:It annoyed the hell out of me seeing l33t in names, or just random strings of symbols.

Did I delete n00bl3t?
' Wrote:Commander: Target ?
everyone else: target who?
commander: ?... target ?
everyone: dude you ain't making any sence
Commander: oh ffs! target the guy with the questionmark as a name!

*facepalm*

Ingame names like "EaTgRaPeS" and "n00bl3t" should be screened by the admins for being not only oorp but a distraction.

rofl.

like __________ isn't a good name for a smuggler.

people will cry no matter what you do.

Theres only one way a name can possibly be oorp. if you use your own name. thats it.

now, you can have the most clever RP like name ever invented and still not role play. then you would be OORP, not your name.

' Wrote:*facepalm*

Ingame names like "EaTgRaPeS" and "n00bl3t" should be screened by the admins for being not only oorp but a distraction.

EaTgRaPeS definitely should be.

Grape in pig latin?
OORP names bug the snot out of me, but I've learned something in my time here:

There are a number of people on the server who have no intentions of ever visiting the forums or conforming to RP...some are just effin' PVP'ers, & some are just as nice as they can be, but just don't ever wanna bother with the rules & forums on account of all the extra reading.

I'm known to spend alot of time pointing people towards the forums, promising that serverplay improves when you get to know the community that plays on it, but about 1/2 the time, it's like talking to a brick wall.

I've developed a habit of ignoring people w/ OORP names in order to keep my sanity, unless i'm forced into direct contact w/ 'em
' Wrote:OORP names bug the snot out of me, but I've learned something in my time here:

There are a number of people on the server who have no intentions of ever visiting the forums or conforming to RP...some are just effin' PVP'ers, & some are just as nice as they can be, but just don't ever wanna bother with the rules & forums on account of all the extra reading.

I'm known to spend alot of time pointing people towards the forums, promising that serverplay improves when you get to know the community that plays on it, but about 1/2 the time, it's like talking to a brick wall.

I've developed a habit of ignoring people w/ OORP names in order to keep my sanity, unless i'm forced into direct contact w/ 'em

Well, i personaly don't have much problems with OORP names, but that's problably because i am still a big noob.

But something that bothers me is that some people are telling me that i should be more active on the forums, and honestly, i try. But i don't know if you "veterans of RP" know how hard it is for someone who tries to RP, when he never did it before. I love the discovery mod, and i love to see all the RPing, but personaly i am not good at it. Add the fact that i read the forum every day for almost an hour, but it is just to big and "chaotic" for new players to comprehend. I think this is one of the biggest reasons that OORP names exist.
' Wrote:Well, i personaly don't have much problems with OORP names, but that's problably because i am still a big noob.

But something that bothers me is that some people are telling me that i should be more active on the forums, and honestly, i try. But i don't know if you "veterans of RP" know how hard it is for someone who tries to RP, when he never did it before. I love the discovery mod, and i love to see all the RPing, but personaly i am not good at it. Add the fact that i read the forum every day for almost an hour, but it is just to big and "chaotic" for new players to comprehend. I think this is one of the biggest reasons that OORP names exist.

Buddy, I know what it is like, and you're starting out rather well. When I first got here, the size of the forums was rather daunting, and I had never RPed before (In fact, I came from Guild Wars, which has, by far, the worst player-base I have ever seen when it comes to, not only roleplay, but also politeness and understanding), but if you come on a little at a time, and socialize little by little, while playing the game, and getting a feel for what is going on, you'll easily get used to roleplaying, and keeping your wits about you. At no time do people expect you to actually act perfectly in Roleplay, especially not when you're new, and after a while, new players do catch on and become integrated into the Discovery Community.

However, like Marburg said, there are some people here who have no intention of following the rules, such as a person who has recently logged on as 'lol,' and a person I met who was named as 'Mike#9.99999999999999999999999.' Though I contacted both these people about their names, and the background of this server, they have no intention of changing for us, and instead want us to change for them....

Personally, I see this everyday in Real Life, which I come here to get away from, and there is no excuse for that.

And, please, excuse me if I seemed rather rude...
Pages: 1 2