Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Discovery Freelancer: The Novel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Amusing brainfart, really.

Suppose someone wrote a Novel set in the disco universe. Who'd you want to write it? What would be the plot? If you have a plot in your head, go ahead and share it without fear of looking ridiculous.

My personal take on it would probably be a mash-up between A Song of Ice and Fire level politics mashed with a total war scenario, and mixed with a dash of cyberpunk elements from Shadowrun and some occultist vibes (particularly in relation to the nomads). I'd like to go into more detail so I'll be back with those tomorrow.

Don't worry about Lore and balance overmuch, this is purely a story exercise after all.

Some guidelines:

1. For the purposes of this, you have complete control over the disco universe. Do whatever you like with the lore, go backwards or forwards in time, change events around.
2. Can be any length, genre, or topic.
3.Can cover any character.
4. If you don't feel confident in your own writing ability, feel free to suggest someone else who you think would write an epic disco novel.
Discovery: Karlotta

[21:44:02] alley: it would be a badass story
[21:44:05] alley: why so many alts
[21:44:12] alley: what's behind these nicknames
[21:44:13] alley: who is karlotta
[21:44:25] alley: is it just another 9/11 plot????
[21:44:34] alley: is joe a secret imam???
[21:44:48] alley: is that why karlotta is after joe? is she america's savior?
I think it would be better to do it like the Horus Heresy series from WH40K. Different writers who can cover different areas and different stories.

Personally, I'd love to properly tell the tale of the the Gallic Second War. There's tons of characters to pick from that. An adviser to the king, someone in the Royal Navy, or even as one of the groups effected by the Gallic invasion. Really, there's quite a lot of backlog you can choose to cover. The Liberty/Rheinland war, the Bretonian/Rheinland standoffs, Kusari's war with Bretonia and then Gallia, and even then you can throw in the Nomads for flavor. I would really think it would be best to do it in a series to cover different areas. While Disco isn't anywhere close to the WH40K universe in terms of lore and fluff, Disco has enough that it can be filled out with quite a lot.
I'd like to read more of Stoats stories, they are great.
The novel of disco would literally begin at the mods end. When gallia conquered everything and there a one sector government or core worlds government.

basically since everything unified for about a hundred years it makes humanity completely ripe for a two sided conflict. the omicrons factions would be constantly trying to survive the cores expansions into space.

The sector unified 100 years ago when all the houses surrendered. None of the house governments took over.. instead its a parliament of the wealthiest corps, mostly gallic to start. over time roughly 50 years in the church of all worlds find representation of the government and their followers begin "altering" mankind for the better.

The poor are juiced and worked to death to feed the rich who are literally made immortal with the help of a little st abilene plus (which is regular cardamine farmed on malta which is literally a slave world). because of the vast amount of environmental and economic abuse of the core worlds a whole subset of mutated humans emerge and are exploited as a slave class.

Cardamine fixes mutations.. the poor think stabilene plus is a cure for their mutation and rebellion occurs. setting the stage of act 1.

Class wars continue on the inside as the hero.. another freelancer.. more like a freelancer hobbiest cause hes a rich kid sees how the planets in "the zone" are exploited and used up and how everyone thinks areas outside the zone are filled with aliens that will kill them.

Act 2 finishes with the realization Xerna, the wilde, all the horrors of the previous century in unexplored space arent even there anymore.. mostly destroyed or abandoned..

act 3 hero finds an old mutated guy on omicron kappa which is still alive. old guy saves him from radiation sickness and tell him the story of history the "apocalypse" as it where.

The nomads and wilde waited patiently as their subversive cells worked on humanity to unite it under one symbol and banner. giving the richest the power over the spoils of the gallic war immortalized charles de gaulle despite him dying shortly after declaration day. the idea of "unity" was put in place bringing all the planets and houses together to feed the starving and treat the sick and dying.

for about ten years it was good.. then human engineering kicked in.. the poor were more or less left alone but those in higher elements of society got the best technology implants and genetic engineering.

This was until the elite had mind powers.. abilities of telekinesis and basicly the intrinsic abilities of nomads.

Hero disbelieves it at first but elements of act 1 and 2 will show instances where the people in charge would make people forget.. or mind control those who disobey them.

They both return for the climactic reveal SOON the hive mind would reappear and take control of the genetic foster children man created for it and a new Daam kvosh empire would awakened from its planned extinction and revival to take over a much easier to conquer galaxy.

Old mutant guy turns out to be old hybrid saves kid hero from killing himself to stop it by sacrificing himself to put the hive back to sleep for another 100 years..

THE END?
Quote:Personally, I'd love to properly tell the tale of the the Gallic Second War.
This plus the subsequent invasion of the Taus.

I guess for the characters I'd go for:
- an advisor to the King, as someone who needs to know the politics and diplomatic relations of the Houses. He wants to get as much power and money as possible and become the king, but dies at the end.
- a Council ace pilot and a Gallic private grill-soldier, they fall in love (obviously)
- a Bretonian BIS officer who is one of the first to make contact with the Gauls.

I've actually had an idea for a novel and even started writing it at some point last year (I think it was around November), but I gave up after about 5 pages. Though in that I used two of my characters (Zettsu and Seraph).
How about then to start a story request thread when people will be asking other people to write more stuff they liked? This could be encouraging.
I'd love to write some stuff. Count me in if this becomes a thing.
Y'all seem to be getting confused. This is about sharing your idea. There's no plans for a collaborative or single disco novel...yet. Separate thread will be put up if that's a thing that happens.
* Cashew starts a new thread about a disco novel
Pages: 1 2 3 4