Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Dem good old' games, number 2.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The game starts out in the eyes of "Doom guy" as you don't know his name. Being an old game, the graphics are 2d/3d ish. The story is that a secret project on the moon has unlocked a portal to hell, releasing a crapload of demons, including the much feared, Cyber Demon, a cybernetic demon you fight in Doom 2 which is in a neo nazi base. A fun game, much like Wolfenstein (Doom is a mod of wolfenstein) with limited moving options, but great storyline (atleast to me)
haha.. I cut my gaming teeth on Doom 1 & 2. I remember in '94 I bought a sound card and upgraded to a faster 486 to improve my Doom gaming experience:D

My god I still play Doom and its sisters like Heretic & Hexen (with 'zdoom' -- updated graphics FTW), and do some modding occasionally... coz its just so easy.

BTW the Cyberdemon, actually appears as the boss in Doom episode 2. He then makes several appearances in Doom2 (depending on difficulty). The level you mention is the secret level #2, which is modelled on the old Wolfenstein as a bit of a gag.

ps. Should I admit to this....... I even downloaded the Doom mods written by Eric Harris. Not bad for a murderous nutjob....
Awesome thing, i found doom 1 in a garage sale XD, it was ultimate doom 95 (all the dooms together except 2 and 3) I play Zdoom also.
I used to play the Doom games on my 486 all the time.
But recently I just bought the entire id collection off of Steam.
Every game they've ever made, for $60.
I got everything from Commander Keen, to Doom, to Quake, to Hexen 2, to Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil.
Oh, and as to the statement about Doom being a wolfenstein mod, that's not true.
While the Wolfenstein 3D prequel spear of destiny was being finished by most of the id staff, a couple members created a new 3d engine that was dubbed the "Doom Engine", and they created Doom around that.

Quote: * Height differences (all rooms in Wolfenstein 3D have the same height);
* Non-perpendicular walls (all walls in Wolfenstein 3D run along a rectangular grid);
* Swaying of the weapon (in Wolfenstein 3D the arms stay fixed in front in the screen no matter what the character does), this gives the impression of fluidity while walking or running;
* Full texture mapping of all surfaces (in Wolfenstein 3D, floors and ceilings are not texture mapped);
* Varying light levels (all areas in Wolfenstein 3D are fully lit at the same brightness). While contributing to the game's visual authenticity by allowing effects such as highlights and shadows, this perhaps most importantly added to the game's atmosphere and gameplay; the use of darkness as a means of frightening or confusing the player was an unseen element in games released prior to Doom.
doom was all that.

the first wolfenstein was the best, 2 d only on c64