Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Role Play Shoutboxes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it possible to make more than one shoutbox, and make Role Play locations like "Manhattan Bar, Table 2" and "Manhattan Bar, Counter" where people who want to find some quick RP company can go?

If not, does anyone know easy to use chatroom software where we can create such locations? Dont say skype or teamspeak. It should be more customizable and browser based.

People could RP there without having to serach long, get to know people, pass time, while trading or travelling with a ship on the server at the same time.
I know it states dont say Skype, but Skype is already used for that. Tho I'm not sure that too many people are fond of RP outside the Forums and inGame.

Anyway, why wouldn't Skype be used for that? You can add as many people as you want into a group and its very simple to use.
You could RP on IRC or something if you don't like skype, I dunno. People back in the day used to, probably.
(08-06-2015, 04:12 PM)SwagBunny Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway, why wouldn't Skype be used for that?
(08-06-2015, 04:14 PM)Protégé Wrote: [ -> ]You could RP on IRC or something if you don't like skype, I dunno.

They require additional login and lack atmosphere.
(08-06-2015, 06:01 PM)Dove Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-06-2015, 04:12 PM)SwagBunny Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway, why wouldn't Skype be used for that?
(08-06-2015, 04:14 PM)Protégé Wrote: [ -> ]You could RP on IRC or something if you don't like skype, I dunno.

They require additional login and lack atmosphere.

Then the only option would be that the forums get some sort of an IM system. If you dont want additional logins.

And what do you look for in atmosphere when it comes to messaging with text?
I think this is a pointless idea.. just use skype, its hard to believe you don't need it, its 2015 keep up.
(08-06-2015, 06:06 PM)SwagBunny Wrote: [ -> ]And what do you look for in atmosphere when it comes to messaging with text?

A picture of a bar/restaurant/conference room above the shoutbox and character photos next to the messages.

Also the possibility for people to read up if they are interested.

Public character and story developement.

Same as the communication channel and the already existing watering holes. Those could also be done in skype.

Also, its easier for new people and strangers to join in if its on the forum.

(08-06-2015, 06:47 PM)Glis Wrote: [ -> ]I think this is a pointless idea.. just use skype, its hard to believe you don't need it, its 2015 keep up.

I have skype and you made a pointless post.

So could someone who actually has any useful information other than "dude there is skype you know man, dude" answer the question: Is it technically possible to make multiple shout boxes in this forum software or not, or are there good browser based alternatives that give a neat RP feel?
(08-06-2015, 06:57 PM)Dove Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-06-2015, 06:06 PM)SwagBunny Wrote: [ -> ]And what do you look for in atmosphere when it comes to messaging with text?

A picture of a bar/restaurant/conference room above the shoutbox and character photos next to the messages.

Also the possibility for people to read up if they are interested.

Public character and story developement.

Same as the communication channel and the already existing watering holes. Those could also be done in skype.

Also, its easier for new people and strangers to join in if its on the forum.

(08-06-2015, 06:47 PM)Glis Wrote: [ -> ]I think this is a pointless idea.. just use skype, its hard to believe you don't need it, its 2015 keep up.

I have skype and you made a pointless post.

So could someone who actually has any useful information other than "dude there is skype you know man, dude" answer the question: Is it technically possible to make multiple shout boxes in this forum software or not, or are there good browser based alternatives that give a neat RP feel?

I think it is possible most probably, but it would take too much work for something not so important. There are other things Devs need to worry about.
While using skype people tend to simply have links on imgur of their char pics and important things. While rather then a single picture to describe a place, like in the BD Club there is a simple text description of the whole Kyoto bar which gives a better idea of what the place looks like and gives a bit more room for imagination.

If you are looking for an alternative to it, something like you have described, no. I never heard of any software or website with those kind of capabilities. Tho you should try googling it, something might come up.
I happen to like this idea, could be good for watering holes and that sort of thing. The main challenges I think you will face with this are keeping trolls out of your particular threads shoutbox, or that because the messages happen instantaneously, it could be possible that once you get talking, you will lose the descriptors and depth of an RP post as things speed up.

And skype, ugh, that lag tho...
(08-07-2015, 12:46 AM)|nfrared Wrote: [ -> ]I happen to like this idea, could be good for watering holes and that sort of thing. The main challenges I think you will face with this are keeping trolls out of your particular threads shoutbox, or that because the messages happen instantaneously, it could be possible that once you get talking, you will lose the descriptors and depth of an RP post as things speed up.

And skype, ugh, that lag tho...

The syncing problem exists just like any real time char ingame. If you liked a certain conversation, you can always copy paste it into your own thread later, editing it a bit for qulaity.

Trolls can be kept out with rules, which will be much easier to enforce than on the server because its easier to oversee. For example, you must leave a conversation if two people who were there before you asks you to, or if people leave a shoutbox because they dont want to talk to your character, it's forbidden to follow them.

I think it would be best if everyone could create a post that describes the setting of the shoutbox and defines the rules, and moderators or admins just stick the shoutbox/shoutboxes into it. Here are some examples:

Newark Station Bar

Request from: Interspace (official faction)

Neat picture of the bar+beatiful view of a blue planet (Manhattan) to create atmosphere:

Shoutbox 1: Bar counter. Anyone can join and talk freely to each other. Station owners (Official Interspace faction) have right to through people out of the bar (if people dont obey the owners, they get sanctioned)

Shoutbox 2-4: Individual tables. People have to leave/stay away from a table if previous occupiers ask them to. A table becomes vacant if people say they left, or if there was no new message for 1 hour. Station owners can kick anyone out.

Fat Tony's Bar&Grill (location: Freeport 9)

Request from: Individual Player

Picture of a sleazy bar

Shoutbox1 : BAr counter. Tony decides who gets served (and he serves lawfuls aswell as unlawfuls)

Shoutbox 2-3: Tables. Tony decides who gets to stay

Forum rules apply just like for the rest. Moderators would just have to take action to place the shoutboxes or to slap players who misbehave (reported by owners, or by players if they see someone break the owner's rules).

The idea is that people get create some RP locations to call their own, and that they can easily find places to RP at without having to cruise around. They can still cruise around and trade on another char while one of their chars is talking at the bar, or course.
Pages: 1 2