Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Tactical Stupidity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I refer to the latest mod update were the Dev Team have stationed a GRN BS in Magellan between Bretonia and Liberty. This is tactical stupidity and such an action for real would attract a major task force from both Liberty and Bretonia to remove it.
To guard the Leeds entrance it would have been more logical to guard the route from the Leeds side. Unless of course the Dev Team have removed the normal invunerability of such stationary NPC ships to allow it to be destroyed.
In effect the Dev Team have stated Gallia intention to occupy Magellan next. This is how normal media and politicians would interperate this action.
You just have to roll with it. Disco has a lot of tactical stupidity.
Then perhaps creating a resonable tactical scenerio would be a worth while mod inprovement?
I think the tactical scenario is GRN is done with Leeds, time to annex Magellan as they're already at war with Liberty/Bretonia.
Bear in mind that stationary battleships don't represent a single ship - they're there to embody entire battlegroups or divisions. So far as I can figure, the move into Magellan is a high risk, high reward gamble by the GRN. They know that Bretonia is more or less reliant on Liberty's logistics and military support at this point due to war exhaustion, and are looking to sever that link.

The hypothesis would be that the two united Houses can project force greater than the sum of their parts; effectively, if they can be separated Bretonia can be destroyed in detail, allowing the Gallic expeditionary force to take on Liberty with a level playing field. The Magellan incursion isn't just them defending Leeds, it's mounting the next step of their invasion plan.

Of course, I said high risk for a reason - they're basically pushing into a salient that allows for them to be attacked in both flanks by both enemies. If they can hold that position, Bretonia probably suffers horribly for it. As you correctly surmised though, their position in the system would draw a furious response from Bretonia and Liberty in order to secure their supply lines.

It's not a perfect plan, but it wouldn't be the first time army group leaders have chosen a flawed strategic plan in an ill-conceived hope of "ending the war before Christmas". Couple that up with the fact that a large chunk of the GRN's frontline commanders probably just got minced up during Royal Flush, and you could imagine impatient armchair generals from the core systems putting bold manoeuvres into place that don't take stock of the actual situation on the ground (space).

- I wouldn't say they're done with Leeds by a long shot. The planet is still stubbornly resisting because a large proportion of the Bretonian Army is still fighting on the surface. It's actually doubtful that logistically Gallia could ever actually move enough troops to the surface from the Gallic core to actually win a traditional land war there. That's why they're starving the defenders into submission instead: Leeds is absolutely barren and doesn't produce any of its own food, after all. If a relief force got through to drop more supplies, the siege could be set back by months, which makes blocking Liberty's relief convoys even more important.
The entire point is to lock down Magellan and stop trade between Bretonia and Liberty. Why else would we go to a almost useless system?

GRN has been fighting in Magellan for years now. With the last push by Liberty being a failure in terms of defeating the Gallic fleet, the Royal Navy is taking this opportunity to push forward. I don't see how this is stupid. Leeds isn't defenseless, there's the Betheny fleet guarding it now.
(08-20-2015, 10:26 PM)jammi Wrote: [ -> ]Bear in mind that stationary battleships don't represent a single ship - they're there to embody entire battlegroups or divisions.

lol, it would be cool to copy, paste that battleship to add visually an entire division
Really, it doesnt matter "tactically" in discovery terms, its just there to make it harder for players to access leeds i guess!
(08-21-2015, 12:32 AM)TheFreelancer Wrote: [ -> ]Really, it doesnt matter "tactically" in discovery terms, its just there to make it harder for players to access leeds i guess!

More like harder to access Magellan. Usually the deadlier battleship is the one who greets you when you're still in post-jump cinematic where you can't control your ship but take damage.