Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: System Editing Guide Feedback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Done, done and done. Best of luck for finishing it! Great work.
(08-21-2015, 11:40 AM)jammi Wrote: [ -> ]This is actually really well timed - I'd been talking to people about pooling knowledge to do exactly this! As rodent said, I'll keep an eye on this so Ilearn the basics.

Also, what's your stance on Fl-ids versus FLDev?

Had you seen this, Spazzy?

http://www.swat-portal.com/php/forum/ind...adID=10418

+99999999999999999999999999999999999999
Another thing that seems like it'd be useful is running with an idea Echo had when we were discussing this kind of thing; instead of / in addition to forum threads, maintain set of tutorial pages on the Wiki. The wiki is a fairly stable resource compared to the forum, and is usually better for showcasing informative materials without risk of loss later on down the line.

It might also be worthwhile to shamelessly borrow from Dab and Seth's threads here:
http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread...t=tutorial
http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread...t=tutorial

This'll cut down on your workload a fair bit, I'd wager. A lot of the content for manual .ini work is there, it just needs modernising to reflect new tools and restructuring to be more accessible.
Turns out everything except the OP was lost to the rollback, and the cache has since been overwritten now the forum is alive again. Did you have a backup saved anywhere?
Yeah, I have saved the raw draft somewhere but really forgot about it. I haven't really had much time to think about Disco. I will also try to get the second part of the third chapter done eventually, but I can't really predict when I get around to do that.
Quick question. Anyone know how to correct visual errors when open files in Notepad++. I keep trying to open the 'universe' file but it always just comes up as a bunch of black box and looks almost nothing like the screenshots in the guide do,
Like this?
[Image: tUHrydS.png]

The guide assumes that you work on files provided by Discovery Freelancer, which don't look like this, but instead similar to the screenshots.
That screenshot is from the vanilla installation universe.ini
This means your .ini files have to be de-coded.

A suggestion: offer a Toal Conversion Mod Starter Pack as an alternative to a separata installation (it lets you haveit as a FLMM mod subdirectory, which you can edit and activate/deactivate as a mod, leaving FL directory untouched).

A question/ request: when you'll come to the NPC part, could you, please, highlight ALL the .inis that require changes / new entries when faction itself is edited/ created? Sure thing if it covers your knowledge area.
Wait, so where is the other half of the tutorial, there is only the first three of the six parts of the table of contents. Where is the other half? I am working on a system and I cannot continue without knowing how to edit planets/NPC's and stuff of that nature.
, When copying instances of Disco is it better to annotate the copied instance with a two-to-three character tag (e.g. "Discovery Freelancer 4.88.1-N1")? I'm just trying out a mod naming convention like "Discovery Freelancer gameversion-tag-modversion" Mod version is useful for uploading snapshot builds, for testing. It can be anything from "protorev00" to "T-Unit 5.0". Here's an Example for the GeoCalibur Industries Addon:

Discovery Freelancer 4.88.1-GCI-protorev00

Which brings up the next question, how do I pitch an addon pack to the main mod? How will it tie into the canon? Those questions are startling for modders like me.

The GeoCalibur DLC doesn't add any new systems, for now. But it does add new bases to developing systems that sell new gear, Powerplants, Engines, Weapons, Shields, you name it. Some of these new bases even sell Experimental Ships, called Fury-Class Fighters, the best of the three fighter Types (Light-VHF). Now all I need to do is find some systems have plenty of vacancies. Any listings?
Pages: 1 2 3