Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Some fresh air for this game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Many people are already upsed due to strange balance stuff between snubs and caps. Some people say that either this side is OP or the other one. I think we should try to change it and find a solution, which will make both sides happier.

What do I bring?

I have thought about restricting capital ships (only ones bigger than gunboat / or the whole caplist) to role-playing on forum or maybe some other restriction.
At first, I have to admit that I'm a cap-addicted-player, I don't want to use the another word for it. Yes, I am, maybe as some of you have already noticed. But I also want some changes. I was playing on some servers where capitals weren't that common. More people was flying in snubs and fleet battles looked more like they could look like.

Why do I want to do?

I think that both sides are fed up with being ganked by capfleets or couldn't deal any damage to small vessels. The problem is already known and many ideas had came through this forum, because people want changes. Some people are telling that making caps stronger will decrease number of snubs, which are flying through the Siruis Sector.
I think it's true, but we shouldn't just look at it from one point of view. It's really weird that some ships are dying relatively fast. Please, don't mention skill and getting better there. Trying to balance capitals both between snubs and other caps is difficult and I know it. You can't just make everyone happy, some people will be upset for some reasons. However, it would be easier to a bit separate both worlds --> boost capitals, but make them less avaible. If caps are restricted, they could be buffed withno complaining about it.

How do I want to make things better?

As I've already mentioned, I want to restrict capital vessels. We can reach it by following one of those ideas:

1) Players will need to write a complete background story for their capital ship commander, with history of his/her service in the faction's forces. This story will need to be approved by official faction's leader(s) and they will decide either to grant or reject the right to own a capital ship by this player. (maybe an admin's approval would be a good idea as well) We will reach much more role-playing histories on forum and already add more reality to carriers. There will be more snubs around, so carriers (if we add them more docking module slots and remove their heavy turrets) would be able to carry those swarms inside ==> we will add an easy "NPC wave spawning system" without coding and making devs busy. You will ask: what about the ships which are already owned by players? We can refund 100% price of this capital ship to player and delete it. Player will still have the money he has spent on it and he/she will be able to put this amount into more vessels in more corners of Sirius.

2) Exactly the same, but the capital ships wouldn't be removed and their cost refunded, but they will be locked for open flying only in the Connecticut system. You will be still able to play as them if you want. It could also encourage you to write some stories to unlock this ship for open flying in its ZOI.

Feel free to share your opinions and tips
Cheers!
(11-17-2015, 05:31 PM)OCV-(M)E(ow)pona Wrote: [ -> ]restrict capital vessels.

looks like its time to leave this game.

Really? Do you know any other game that lets you use Capital Ship huh? Only strategy games does or eve like.
(11-17-2015, 05:33 PM)Titan Wrote: [ -> ]looks like its time to leave this game.

Really? Do you know any other game that lets you use Capital Ship huh? Only strategy games does or eve like.

Mmm, mmm. Your anguish sustains me.

Delicious.
(11-17-2015, 05:33 PM)Titan Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-17-2015, 05:31 PM)OCV-(M)E(ow)pona Wrote: [ -> ]restrict capital vessels.

looks like its time to leave this game.

The problem is they won't be totally balanced as long as they're commonly avaible. It wouldn't make sence, because it will reduce the amount of the opposite vessels. As I've told we can keep gunboats, as they're the smallest capitals in fact. Or we can also add something like supercap, which will be restricted on the mentioned conditions

As well as restricting doesn't mean removing completely. It's a roleplaying server and you should roleplay to gain such a vessel.
Just keep calm and think about it. Isn't it better to see waves of small vessels which are flying around the capitals? It would look more like a fleet battle
(11-17-2015, 05:31 PM)OCV-(M)E(ow)pona Wrote: [ -> ]1) Players will need to write a complete background story for their capital ship commander, with history of his/her service in the faction's forces. This story will need to be approved by official faction's leader(s) and they will decide either to grant or reject the right to own a capital ship by this player. (maybe an admin's approval would be a good idea as well) We will reach much more role-playing histories on forum and already add more reality to carriers. There will be more snubs around, so carriers (if we add them more docking module slots and remove their heavy turrets) would be able to carry those swarms inside ==> we will add an easy "NPC wave spawning system" without coding and making devs busy. You will ask: what about the ships which are already owned by players? We can refund 100% price of this capital ship to player and delete it. Player will still have the money he has spent on it and he/she will be able to put this amount into more vessels in more corners of Sirius.

I'd say make it an SRP-esque process, because an official faction leader can look at someone's perfectly sound RP and go "I don't like this person, so denied". Giving the faction leader input in the process to scan for validity or lore conflict issues in the person's story should be considered, though, since the admin team has been known to have some issues regarding their knowledge of lore.
Inb4 "qq I luw mah caps too much, this is bad, leave this place"... oh, wait...
(11-17-2015, 05:43 PM)"Prowler Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-17-2015, 05:31 PM)OCV-(M)E(ow)pona Wrote: [ -> ]1) Players will need to write a complete background story for their capital ship commander, with history of his/her service in the faction's forces. This story will need to be approved by official faction's leader(s) and they will decide either to grant or reject the right to own a capital ship by this player. (maybe an admin's approval would be a good idea as well) We will reach much more role-playing histories on forum and already add more reality to carriers. There will be more snubs around, so carriers (if we add them more docking module slots and remove their heavy turrets) would be able to carry those swarms inside ==> we will add an easy "NPC wave spawning system" without coding and making devs busy. You will ask: what about the ships which are already owned by players? We can refund 100% price of this capital ship to player and delete it. Player will still have the money he has spent on it and he/she will be able to put this amount into more vessels in more corners of Sirius.

I'd say make it an SRP-esque process, because an official faction leader can look at someone's perfectly sound RP and go "I don't like this person, so denied". Giving the faction leader input in the process to scan for validity or lore conflict issues in the person's story should be considered, though, since the admin team has been known to have some issues regarding their knowledge of lore.

It could work this way too.

(11-17-2015, 05:47 PM)Thyrzul Wrote: [ -> ]Inb4 "qq I luw mah caps too much, this is bad, leave this place"... oh, wait...

As well as I've told: Restricting them doesn't mean removing them. Official factions should be able to have a few capitals --> Maybe shared ones like in the K'Hara. It could also encourage people to make factions & write tones of RP to try to make them official to gain this possibility as well. Or maybe creating another 'subforum' for factions? Something between the officials and lolwutty new ones? Group which will be able to own some shared capitals, but will require some RP to grant it? Lets say right to own one capital ship for each 3 (?) members.
Restricting caps will result in the server being less than it already is.

No ones fed up with being ganked here except you, everyone gets ganked. Everyone roflstomps Somone in one way or another. Deal with it.
Just a few cents from someone who is new in Discoverys universe...
Mankind always wants to get the biggest/fastest/strongest/... they can get.

Think a lot people also desire this in RP and hunting for the big ones.

As long as they are buyable for everyone (may with some reputation regulations), people will play the game more like a grinder (like its called in various MMOs, just do the same thing againg and again and again to get THE equipment - in this case, do whatever gives the best profit to buy capitals asap).

Maybe a complete different kind of idea, seen on other mods/servers: limit the number of capitals per faction.
E.G. knowing from other servers, where a clan/team/faction (however you may call it) can have only one battleship.
May a little change to "can only have <number> of active" would suit it, so people still can hunt for their *big dreams* and play them.
So lets say you are a Rheinland military, there is already a Rheinland military capital logged in, you cant log in with yours, because limit is set to just one active.
Going on from that point you could even add more active roleplay, since people will have to make a decision like *which battleship is aviable* and also explain that by strategical reason or whatever.
Additional the *requested roleplay to get one* is a good basic limitation I think.
But to give a little balance to it, may the decision should be made OORP by all factions leaders plus admins. Or may even by whole community in a public poll?
(11-17-2015, 06:35 PM)Wesker Wrote: [ -> ]Restricting caps will result in the server being less than it already is.

No ones fed up with being ganked here except you, everyone gets ganked. Everyone roflstomps Somone in one way or another. Deal with it.

You can't reject the reality: players + ones which were complaining on forum so much. And you couldn't deny all those "crying" messages around on forum. That's all in this answer. I'm really not in mood to have another argument to be honest

(11-17-2015, 06:40 PM)Cearos Craeh Wrote: [ -> ]Just a few cents from someone who is new in Discoverys universe...
Mankind always wants to get the biggest/fastest/strongest/... they can get.

Think a lot people also desire this in RP and hunting for the big ones.

As long as they are buyable for everyone (may with some reputation regulations), people will play the game more like a grinder (like its called in various MMOs, just do the same thing againg and again and again to get THE equipment - in this case, do whatever gives the best profit to buy capitals asap).

Maybe a complete different kind of idea, seen on other mods/servers: limit the number of capitals per faction.
E.G. knowing from other servers, where a clan/team/faction (however you may call it) can have only one battleship.
May a little change to "can only have <number> of active" would suit it, so people still can hunt for their *big dreams* and play them.
So lets say you are a Rheinland military, there is already a Rheinland military capital logged in, you cant log in with yours, because limit is set to just one active.
Going on from that point you could even add more active roleplay, since people will have to make a decision like *which battleship is aviable* and also explain that by strategical reason or whatever.
Additional the *requested roleplay to get one* is a good basic limitation I think.
But to give a little balance to it, may the decision should be made OORP by all factions leaders plus admins. Or may even by whole community in a public poll?

I have meant ability to own a cap for each 3 (?) players in group. I think you've misunderstood me: no limits for caps in space ==> if you've managed to get it, you can play it. People should be able to choose which BS they want to fly, you can't just force ppl to eg. fly in cruisers and don't touch BSs. Cruiser doesn't fit everyone and not everyone knows how to play as cruiser.

To Shinju: I hope to see less complaining about everything then. I've just shared an idea, if it is made to die, then let it die. However we should let people to post their opinions anyway
Pages: 1 2 3 4