Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A new sort of cloaking device
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have seen some sentences about it in the past, but I'm not sure how it has ended:

What about creating a cloaking device which makes you invisible to scanners, but you're still visible in visual range? (like when you double click on the UI in the left corner in the game)

I think I've seen something about it in one of threads about changing cloaks... but the idea has been awakened in my head.

An interesting idea from @TheUnforgiven
That would be more like... Stealth technology.
It'd probably be extremely useful for snubs (it's honestly nearly impossible to hit a snub that has no selection box / crosshair / location indicator on screen) to the point that it's effectively just a regular cloak, while being reasonably balanced for caps. Not sure if this is good or bad, just an observation.
It could be many things, ranging from basic military jamming devices all the way up to heat detection inhibitors.

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=131023

In this case, its not actually invisible to scanners or anything of the sort. Rather, the cruiser is just inhibiting the other ships senor's array to the point it would detect nothing.

As for the jamming tech..to be fair, many many places around Sirius should have such, from what I know, most ships, even snubs, have some form of jamming..though perhaps an advanced array of some kind maybe? I dun know.
This sounds like a much better idea then the current cloaks. Could be something like "Silent Running". Just make it so you lose your shields and can not use you're weapons and this would make a great replacement to current cloaks.
(11-21-2015, 07:34 PM)Snoopy Wrote: [ -> ]This sounds like a much better idea then the current cloaks. Could be something like "Silent Running". Just make it so you lose your shields and can not use you're weapons and this would make a great replacement to current cloaks.

yeah, better than buttcloaking
Well it will be not so funny as cloaking device now (like it was in singleplayer) but it will make BS cloakers to noobs back. (I don't mean that they all are like that, but a lot of BS cloakers have no skill and just uncloaking right near the enemy in 1 sec after short RP and shooting)
I think it be nicer to have both a 'Scanner Jammer' and a Cloaking Device, as a Cloaking Device can provide a chance to escape while in the open, while a jammer is most effective in nebulas, asteroids, etc.

It could jam the range depending on the ship class too. Such as,

fighters: seen at 6k/5k | scanned at 3k

Cruisers 2k sight| 600m-1k scan
BC/BS: 1k-700m sight | 500m-200m scan

or whatever

(11-21-2015, 06:48 PM)Haste Wrote: [ -> ]It'd probably be extremely useful for snubs (it's honestly nearly impossible to hit a snub that has no selection box / crosshair / location indicator on screen) to the point that it's effectively just a regular cloak, while being reasonably balanced for caps. Not sure if this is good or bad, just an observation.

Well, I didn't mean to remove the red cross. You could still be able to click on this ship manually if you can see it by your eyes. I've only wanted to make scanners blind
I believe that is impossible with FL mechanics. You must see it to select it, kinda similiar how you can select components of the station, you can only select it by the red arrows at the side of your screen, instead of directly selecting.
Pages: 1 2