Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Zoners - why they do exist?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Note, it's not a rant, but a serious political question.

While I do believe they would live relatively peaceful in Omicrons (but then, we have people here who wouldn't be happy with a station which supplies everyone, even the enemies - so situation repeats sooner or later), I'm not pretty sure why Zoners do exist and are allowed between the House Spaces. Just why?

House Authorities are aware that Zoners may shelter criminals. If I was in possession of such a information, I'd completely ban Zoner activity if necessairy and erase every station from inter-house space. In case of Bering, Liberty Navy claims Freeport 2 and renames it, as system is already theirs. In case of Kepler - simply nuke the station, since Kusari wouldn't be happy about Liberty base in a buffor system. BAF ought to do the same with Freeport 1 in Omega-3, since it's obvious that Zoners DO shelted and resupply Corsairs - the vile enemy of Bretonian crown.

My sincere question is: what stops House Authorities to ban Zoner stations from space between houses?
Zoners were never meant to be fleshed out into a faction. They were supposed to be background NPCs - hence why any possible holes.

However you can't pin something such as a ban on Zoners. Being a Zoner is a lifestyle, not a faction. It's a term to describe someone who lives a life away from the houses and governments etc.
I think he meant Freeports in Border worlds. Those are not exactly away from houses and governments, they are in between them, and kinda screw with both in most cases. So honestly, I don't really understand this concept either.
Why does Switzerland exist?
Does Switzerland shelter murderors and thieves that fled from countries right next to them?
Only Tax evaders Smile and the Accounts of Former Nazis

I thinks Zoners where people who wished to belong to no faction and no government and then started to band together out of necessity
I'd probably wager political fallout, either an attempt at land grabbing by taking over the stations or genocide by outright destroying them. Gameplay wise they offer a source of contention and general trouble along with neutral ground for various wheelings and dealings as smugglers, pirates, freelancers and bounty hunters all make use of the freeports.

As for faction/storyline reasons, well if there is any sense in either I'd be shocked.
(11-29-2015, 05:23 PM)Timmy Wrote: [ -> ]I think he meant Freeports in Border worlds. Those are not exactly away from houses and governments, they are in between them, and kinda screw with both in most cases. So honestly, I don't really understand this concept either.

Well, Liberty took the FP in Magellan after the GRN began to base their assaults from there. Although that was an IMG base, not a Zoner one.
(11-29-2015, 05:27 PM)Tunicle Wrote: [ -> ]Why does Switzerland exist?

Switzerland and Zoners aren't quite similiar, since Zoners - like it or not - are more like Gypsies - without home, always in the move, rejecting to be assimilated.

(11-29-2015, 05:30 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-29-2015, 05:23 PM)Timmy Wrote: [ -> ]I think he meant Freeports in Border worlds. Those are not exactly away from houses and governments, they are in between them, and kinda screw with both in most cases. So honestly, I don't really understand this concept either.

Well, Liberty took the FP in Magellan after the GRN began to base their assaults from there. Although that was an IMG base, not a Zoner one.

We should begin with main problem of the Freelancer universe here: all four houses were not supposed to wage war against themselves, being quite dependant on each other. However, I do believe all house militaries were supposed to be equivalent of our Atomic bombs - existing, but not being used against other nations at all (remember that Military lost war against bunch of gas miners).
The mistake is not with the inter-house ZOners, but with House players who think they can simply re-define systems that are meant to be wild Borderworlds into quasi-Housespace.

If all the systems that are mentioned in the OP were treated as wild, lawless, extremely dangerous areas that are beyond control, THEN Zoner Freeports (and other independent stations) would suddenly make sense there.

The Zoners did nothing wrong there.
So they should not be in the crosshairs at all.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15