Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Mining Development Blog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I will not post here all the time about everything that's been done, though I'm looking to keep everyone interested updated about major changes. One of the most notable things will be a roadmap to make everyone aware of issues that are going to be adressed next. This is also a place for questions, while requests should be made in the Development Requests subforum.

Soon™
- Moving fields within the system to the most optimal position. Most optimal means equidistant from the majority of factions that roam the field (including pirates), where applicable.
- Reintroducing Iridium as mineable ore commodity for factions currently inhabiting the Omicrons
- Introducing Azurite as extreme value commodity. (I'd like to keep the exact details a surprise until it's implemented)
- Boosting Fluorine mining to higher profit levels.
- Adressing Artifact, Alien Organism, Toxic Waste, etc. as mineable commodies as an alternative to purchasing it.
- Reviewing faction and ship bonuses.
Not to sound ungrateful, but I can't help but think it would've been a better idea to simply do all of this before releasing the previous update and put it all out in one go.

Most importantly, the location of mining fields is a very relevant matter to mining factions and shifting them is a significant shakeup that has to be adapted to. This has just occurred once, which is fine as development must go on, but twice in a short period of time is a noticeable hiccup. I would at least ask that the location changes that are going to be made to the existing fields be priority and released as a standalone patch as soon as they're completed.

Aside from that, thank you for your efforts in improving the mining system.
As I have understood Vipex, the "shifts" are only occurring inside the system that the fields are in now.

It becomes visible that some thought has been put into that when you see that the IMG Cobalt field has been moved to an existing field in O3.

As I have understood Vipex, the nest step would be about "fine tuning" the field locations, like shifting a field from B3 to C2 in the same system, to give the competitors (who up to now had their own fields) the same chance (like both have 25k to the field from their base).

I don't think that this fine-tuning (if I got it right) is really that much of a large gamechanger, tbh.
But, sure, Meph. It would be welcome if these changes were completed fast. I agree there, fully.
Sounds so cool!
I had a small idea that'd be relevant now if you're considering the placement of fields:
I've always thought that O-7 has bland placement, but awesome potential if given a redesign. All three fields in the system should be merged to encourage corps in the system to battle over resources. Admittedly though, I think something like that would work much better with field drain on (controversial, I know).

Also looking forward to Iridium being turned into a proper 'ore' commodity. I'm not sure if you'll be using the old mining doc or not for the mining bonuses, but if I may make a suggestion Corsairs should get a high mining bonus as they've got history with the commodity (before Core took over their mining bases on Nauru, but most likely they'd still know how to handle Iridium). That could work well with the recent direction of giving ores unlawful sell points. Also, what are the final IDs that will mine iridium and what mining bonuses will they have? As I said the old mining doc got a bit outdated.
Quote:I had a small idea that'd be relevant now if you're considering the placement of fields:
I've always thought that O-7 has bland placement, but awesome potential if given a redesign. All three fields in the system should be merged to encourage corps in the system to battle over resources. Admittedly though, I think something like that would work much better with field drain on (controversial, I know).

Field drain provoked only one thing: terrible behavious towards indies. I was around when factions made pirates to kill off active indy miners of the same ID because "they steal all the ore!". The first players who will suffer are indies. So, no. Field drain and "battle over fields" has never resulted in anything good. The measures taken were always on an oorp or semi-oorp level and generally made the game worse. That's why the removal of field drain was universally greeted as a great step.

You do not own a mining faction, Lyth. But if you manage to get 4 people on these days and then you realize "field is drained", you just want to dock, log off and play something else. Effort leading to nothing is bad. Field drain is bad.

In general, unification of fields is a good step. Miners - also of rivalling groups - meeting is good for interaction. We'll see how much "corp warfare" players are able to do. Experience has shown that many were incapable and/or unwilling to get it right and to do it in a way that is conducive to the roleplay on the server. But I guess time will show how it plays out this time.
(01-07-2016, 02:57 PM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Field drain is bad.

Totally agree... I dont know how other fields are going, but... with the amount of newbies in Pennsylvania (newbie restart is a miner!!), the helium field turns depleted REALLY FAST... and I watched a lot of new players just leaving because the hard way to mine sometimes.
The intention behind field drain is good (imo) as it can be a good driver of competition within the mining fields. The way it works isn't as stellar though, but I think something that encourages mining corps to fight over resources rather than mine peacefully together will be good for activity.

In OFL chat Jammi suggested that perhaps mining rate in the fields should be halved when a ship of a different Corp ID is present in the mining field. Not sure how possible that would be to achieve though.
(01-07-2016, 06:35 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]... but I think something that encourages mining corps to fight over resources rather than mine peacefully together will be good for activity.

I understand you, but... you should think there are A LOT of peacefull miners dont like combats... thats why we are always in Pennsylvania only. I guess... there are too many thing oriented into combats instead pure relax roleplaying hehehe.
Space is dangerous, especially in border systems - it's good to encourage high risk = high reward. Of course, places like Pennsylvania would remain untouched as it's a newbie system, but places like Omega-7 could/should get such treatment.
Pages: 1 2 3 4