Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Making Missiles More Useful as Equipment | An Idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(01-15-2016, 04:36 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: [ -> ]-Missiles would now ignore shields
-Missiles would not be able to do direct damage to the hull but can damage and disable guns and equipment from ships.

This is probably the worst suggestion I've heard in a year or more.

In case this wasn't entirely obvious by the catastrophe that was .87 missiles: press-button-to-damage weapons are bad. And you actually want them to go through shields as well, so people too awful to even down shields can effectively damage targets?

Just, no. Absolutely not.
(01-15-2016, 04:55 PM)Karst Wrote: [ -> ]In case this wasn't entirely obvious by the catastrophe that was .87 missiles: press-button-to-damage weapons are bad. And you actually want them to go through shields as well, so people too awful to even down shields can effectively damage targets?

obviously it wouldn't be by a lot but there can be tactics/setups that can actually make this work
This is an idea. not everything is perfect here, ofc, but I just posted it to get some feedback.

*shrugs*

sorry guys for posting a "retarded" idea
you better be sorry for posting bad ideas ):
Not sure how AFC would feel about this.
Fighter missiles? I thought that they were OP and thus were frowned upon. If they are alright now, I'm going to ask those in the BAF who aren't proud of their fighter skill to mount one each.

As of the feedback for the idea, I think that it would be weird if something did damage to equipment and not to the hull, if it hits the hull. I am obviously not informed well enough to comment further.
Lol 12 hessian cruiser missiles incoming
I was thinking of a utility tool that doesn't do direct damage but influences equipment.
But i mean... i guess a SHF can have 1 paralyzer and 1 sidewinder )))
Electronic warfare? ECM waves?
Currently ships can outrun the missiles they shoot with one exception: the CD. This seems wrong. A ship should not be able to outrun a missile.
Fighter missiles are kind of suppressors. If I fire a missile at somebody, they will turn away for a few seconds, getting me time to make ready with actually good dakka, and put 'em down for good (or at least for 2 hours). That's at range. Up close, fighter missiles are killer. The area damage they do means that if enough are used, hardpoints start going away on the other guy. This is taken up to 11 with the Fighter Torpedoes, which are designed almost exclusively for "in your face" style combat against larger vessels, with a deceptively long range making those that don't know how to fighter think that Torpedoes are best used at that distance. Think cerb gunboat turrets as they are now, and you get what I'm talking about.

(01-16-2016, 06:14 AM)Bruce Samson Wrote: [ -> ]Currently ships can outrun the missiles they shoot with one exception: the CD. This seems wrong. A ship should not be able to outrun a missile.

Why? The CD is sacrificing pain payload to instead deal anguish to the fool who thought they could escape.
Basically, the CD has little to no actual explosives to weigh it down, which means that it goes faster. I forget the exact equation behind it, but in a vacuum, you're burning through fuel to go Direction X and have little to no air resistance. The low weight means that, factoring in the no air resistance and/or gravity, the missile travels faster. In a way, it makes perfect sense. The missiles have timers set to go off as soon as the fuel runs out so we don't get live munitions ruining a random person's day at some undetermined point in the future. I think that was covered in some treaty at some point (*cough* and if it wasnt, hey House governments, make an in-RP treaty about weapons safety guidelines *cough*).

tl;dr Fighter missiles were built as short range firepower assumed to be blasted at their opposition at nigh point blank range with the other guy coming right at the user. Hence, they're relatively slow. CDs are designed with the view of the guy turning tail and running, which means that they're low damage in exchange for giving the guy an inducement to stand and fight.

The various types are there to appeal to the different mindsets of the fighters. Cannonballs are for those who want damage (usually against other fighters) NOW and are close-in enough to do it, Catapults are Gunboat killers that SUCK because they eat energy and do half-damage compared to the literally superior in every way save range, speed, and ammo count, and that's where they are equal to Catapults, Hellfire Rocket Pods, Firestalkers are the kiddie version of Sidewinders that fire more often, Sidewinders are a comfortable middle ground between Catapults and Cannonballs with tracking, Paralyzer Missiles are fairly decent shield killers and power drainers that have somewhat limited applicability due to their CD and low damage vs. capships.

But hey, this is (Discovery) Freelancer, the (pretender to the) king of acceptable breaks from reality (according to Tv Tropes). Don't think about it too hard.
Pages: 1 2 3