Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: FLoohk based "reload" times for Ballistic and Missile weapons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So this was an idea I already threw to one of the devs, but I wanted to share it with the rest of you peeps to see if this was worth considering. TL;DR this could be a good way to simulate ''clips'' and ''salvos'' in Disco-verse with a more or less simple (I think..) hook.

So right now how a missile works is that you have a certain amount of ammo, which is launched at a certain refire speed depending on the missile launcher and in the case of capship missiles - uses a certain amount of energy as well as a limited ammo pool in order to balance damage over time.

Now the fact that capital ship missiles suddenly use both ammo and energy to fire has mostly been discussed already, but this idea could take a certain spin on the whole mechanic, be it a good way or not.

Basically, it boils down to having a large launcher which holds, say, 5 missiles for cruisers.
They can be fired without much energy usage (enough not to be able to fire them out of cruise), and their refire speed is very rapid - say 1.00 or such. Meaning you can launch all five of them if you want and then you have the ship systems start reloading the missiles for another salvo.

All the hook needs to do is detect when you have 0 ammo and start a timer. Say - 1 minute. After which 5 ammo, depending on the missile turret, is added to your hold. (I am not sure how to make sure you do not get more than 5 missiles if you happen to tractor some during the reload).

This could also be an interesting version for solaris turrets. They could be ammo based, take up cruiser/gb/BS heavy slots and would have much more damage than now, but would require a reload time depending on the ship class. This would make solarboats pretty devestating, but would have them become punching bags the moment their reload kicks in.

Random idea.
Ballistic guns shouldn't take any energy though, you don't need power reactor in Tanks to fire 120mm cannon lol
also this : https://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/8,8_cm_PaK_43
I am pretty sure german soldier wasnt carriyng power reactor with them to use that 88cm cannon

Nice idea, also would be great to have ballistic guns like 300mm 400mm or 1400mm artilery guns with long reload but no power requirement

Imagine a 100mm gun with 4 barrel firing some shells then reloading, would be great
Are we talking about balistics here? They are sooooo last year. But, why not...
I am always in a mood for anything that will give capitols new life ! [Image: smile.gif]
When i imagine scifi capital ships firing missiles i see this:

Instead we've got one missile every few seconds, and that missile is likely to not even hit, but when it does, it's still pretty boring.
+9001 for sin's idea becoming a thing.
Idea is both very interesting and very good, but problem lays in balancing things out AND server performance. Capital battles always cause lag, no matter how good user's connection is. However, balancing things out could be yet another issue as it would require massive amount of work not only onto FLHook, but also tested in "real combat scenarios" if such weapon is not too OP or not too weak (like in case gunboat with missile turret being easy target after ammo goes out).

Or, if such idea would be actually used. The finest example here is repair ship, which no one uses despite the repair/heal ability introduced into game.
(02-03-2016, 11:36 AM)Findarato Veneanar Wrote: [ -> ]When i imagine scifi capital ships firing missiles i see this:
[fancy stuff]

Instead we've got one missile every few seconds, and that missile is likely to not even hit, but when it does, it's still pretty boring.
+9001 for sin's idea becoming a thing.

That's cool and all, but the only way we'll ever get fancy "swarm missiles" and stuff is through visual illusions (one missile that looks like multiple). We (read: Alley) have just managed to greatly increase server performance, adding missiles like the ones in the OP would immediately cancel that out again Big Grin