Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Battleship Flak turrets: Feature or a Bug?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
And no, the answer is not "yes" before you ask.

Okay, as you noticed I've started fricking around with modding FL again and one of the topics that I ended up digging up from years back was me questioning how flak turrets work. So we have large capital ships that have their turrets so goddamn wide apart that secondaries cannot hit things much smaller than a gunboat up close, allowing anything but the fattest bombers to do the whole Strafe-Down-Plus-Roll thing with their noses scraping the battleship's hull and the cap not being able to do much about it. If you've ever seen a certain Asco flying around in Liberty, wrecking lib carriers from 200m range, you know what I mean.

^
So for the people who are not into modding, it is basically like this. Flak turrets are essentially dumbfire missiles like the Cannonball with an obscenely large detonation distance (75), which is how far from an entitiy the missile is triggered from. For comparison, your sidewinder missile has a detonation distance of 2. This allows them to have the ''flak'' effect, aka not necessarily having to hit the ship in order to deal damage. This is what, in theory, makes it dangerous to get close to large ships using it. And of course they have an "impulse" setting of 5000 - that is the part that is responsible for flaks bumping torpedoes out of the way.

This is the problem I have with this weapon right now:

As you can see, it does not matter how many flak turrets you have, you deal damage only from the first flak that hits the target.
And this is the line to blame:

hit_pts = 2

^ That is the ''health'' of the projectile. The same way every other missile has health. This is why, for example, you can kill missiles with a CDs' explosion range and not, say, torpdoes. The former has less Health.

Now this is how they would work if their health was buffed:

Oops.
Not exactly ideal, no. As you can see the first one blows up and now instead of detonating the rest before they reach the target, it sends the other flaks in random directions just like they would do a torpedo.
Now we just need to buff the projectile's ''mass'' to fix that.

mass = 100000

There we go, fixed. Can we have this a thing, please?

Can we has?

EDIT:
One concern though. This fix might need to have the damage of 9000 to be cut down a little or increase the energy drain, otherwise you will have 22 flak-turreted carriers flying around, doing ~200 000 burst fire damage.
Yes. Yes, we can has.
No reason not to be implemented. +1
I like it .
(02-03-2016, 07:50 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT:
One concern though. This fix might need to have the damage of 9000 to be cut down a little or increase the energy drain, otherwise you will have 22 flak-turreted carriers flying around, doing ~200 000 burst fire damage.
^ i suggest not to decrease power , but to increase energy drain a little , so that BS with little lights slots can be effective and those with 22 slots will not be able to fire them all at once .
We should have this
Having 20 flaks mounted is very thoughtless anyways. Most kills of those ships are allied fighters. I doubt this modification would do any good, but would instead nerf flaks in supposed use (by energy or damage). Battleships usually mount 2-4 and those most often reach their target at the same time, all inflicting damage. What this modification would enable is to be effective with 4 plus flaks, but I suppose more often against your allies than the enemy. You have to predict where will your allies and your enemies will be when you fire flaks, and while many battleships might start mounting them en masse after this, a considerable portion of them will just press the fire button without any forethought.

I am not sure, though. I guess it can be tested.
Definitly we can has +1
If there could be problem about 22 flaks, can't their number somehow be limited? For example, max 6 flaks at ship.

But in my opinion, damage reduction should help, they would still be able to destroy missles, but won't do so much damage.
(02-03-2016, 08:44 PM)Crackling Wrote: [ -> ], damage reduction

would make them useless. Flaks are meant to be anti-snub or anti-missile/torp.
very nice work! thank you for your time to show us this. +1
Pages: 1 2