Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Players Warned: Osama.Abdulrashid and Jaffar.Abdul.bin.Salam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Osama.Abdulrashid and Jaffar.Abdul.bin.Salam warned for:

Whilst investigating your report we uncovered a series of entries in the chatlogs that are likely to cause offense. Choosing the "war cry" of a modern day political/religious group shows a misjudgement of appropriate approach to RPing on the server.

Quote:1.Not allowed on Discovery forums or server:

Consequences:

Giving the benefit of the doubt that it was a misjudgement this is just a warning, please reappraise the approach.

If you post in this sanction and are not directly involved or a leader of the accused person's faction be advised that you are consenting to be subjected to the reprisal of my choice which may involve in game repercussions up to a ban. Blaming members of your immediate family, neighbours, friends, pets, and assorted Orcs, Trolls and any other legendary creatures may result in the use of Admin Right #CTE 750AE
Posting here as Jaffar.

We talked about the issue with Alley, she was very cooperative and understanding of the whole issue, but it looks like I need to put this out here in the open as well.

The "war cry" in question (The Takbir) is not actually a war cry, but an expression very commonly used by millions of people today in Islam. When used in the battlefield, it means that no matter what peril a fighter faces, God is still there to protect the fighter and is still greater than the enemy he faces. The Takbir is used by 1,6 billion people today to express thanks, joy and yes, to give them strength in peril. The phrase has also been in use since the birth of Islam.

Now, there are about 9000 Daesh terrorists also using the phrase. 0,000562% of the total number of people who also use the Takbir.

Me and my friend involved did not think (and still do not think) that due to the actions of such a minor segment of such a huge religion and in part, ethnicity (which is not at all represented in game), an entire culture should be discarded.The rules point to no such thing either, the extract you linked simply says "Not Allowed on the Discovery Server" without specifying what's not allowed, in fact.

I made attempts to represent underrepresented ethnic groups in the past as well. I played 3 arabs (2 who were Rheinländers: one Unioner and one Rheinwehr regular), but I also played Russians, Serbs, Jews and Hungarians before, with trying to also represent their culture as authentically as one could.

As you can surely tell, we no longer live in the time of nation states: we have many ethnicities living in one nation and many supra-national organizations supervising the spread of fair treatment and the preservation of culture, rather than aggressively assimilating migrants as in the past. As such, it makes perfect sense for playing not 100% pure Germans, but rather a mixed group of ethnicities in all Houses too, as I did in the past.

Our conduct was not harmful and we paid special attention to not to disrupt the game of others and we will continue doing so in the future. It's simply that we refuse to think that due to the actions of a few, a majority should be shunned. Employing sanctions due to this thinking is like refusing to say "Guten Tag", just because the nazis said it. Or refusing to drive cars, because the jihadists drive cars as well. Or thinking that saying "Good day" is offensive, because the British Union of Fascists and Rockwell's American Nazis both used the greeting.