Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Development blog: Systems & Universe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
THREAD IS CLOSED BECAUSE I LEFT THE DEVTEAM. PLEASE RELAY FURTHER QUESTIONS TO THE RELEVANT DEVS

So, what is this about?

There's been a lot of criticism against the devteam. Most of it deals with transparency. What do we do? Why do we do it? Why are there no full patchnotes? All those little things. I fully agree that this is an issue, and I wish to address it with this 'blog'.

The Idea for this thread has been in my mind since released his Transparency Tuesday, although I would like (and have to) to tackle things a bit differently.

Differently? How?

For one, I won't be releasing posts in here every week. Instead, I will keep you guys posted on progress I make. So if, for example, I begin work on a particular major system update, hotfix package etc, I will post here, as well as when any obstacles occur, or when I feel like posting something. That applies to progress updates only.

Next, I can only talk about things that apply to my department of development (systems and universe). That means that I cannot tell you anything about PvP-Changes, Storyline updates, economy etc etc. For that you'd have to talk to the ones responsible there. Yes, there is a general Developers' skypechat, but that does not mean that every issue, change or idea gets discussed in there - it's more a hub for the different teams to communicate with one another.

Furthermore, I mentioned earlier that I will post progress updates infrequently. I would like to offer something aside from that, however. One of my main criticisms with the devs before I joined them was that it was hard to get in touch with them, and I opt to change that here. That means you can ask any question related to my department, work et cetera in here. You can of course ask unrelated things, but I will only be able to offer my opinion or impression on that. I will do my best to answer those questions, and , another system dev, has offered to help with answering questions here as well. If you wish to address one of us personally with a question, precede it with an or .

What this is not

This one is pretty important. I want this to stay in a readable, clean format, so I'll set a few rules from the getgo. Those are:

I cannot disclose any details on upcoming updates

That's a big one. I know that we all want to know what's coming, but I can't tell you what exactly the systems I am working on will look like exactly. I can tell you "This part of Sirius is getting worked on" or "I have so and so many changes to make", but I won't give details. Sorry.

This is not a request thread

You can ask me about requests, make propositions and ask if they're feasible before you request them, but if you want them to actually be considered as a request by the whole team, you'll need to post in here. You can of course use this thread to ask if something's doable before you request it - that saves a lot of effort on both sides.

This is not a discussion thread

I know that discussions are important, but this thread here is to be used for dialogue only. Lengthy discussions will be invised, so please leave them be.

Alright, that is all. I'll post my first status report in here once the patch has fully deployed, but you're free to begin asking questions.
1) is it possible to make additional race ring tracks in Sirius if enough rp is done?
Is it possible to work alongside a dev or is the requester on his/her own?

2) is it possible to make a npc base that is of a non-vanilla faction. ... *cough* AFC ...
1) Yes, it is possible to make those relatively easily. "If enough RP is done" is a really swampy term. Usually new objects, bases and the like go in after the okay from the storyline team is given and the system devs don't have any objections (which shouldn't be too hard, given that a racetrack hardly influences gameplay mechanics, as long as it's sensibly placed).

Define "work alongside a dev", please.

2) There are plenty of bases around that don't belong to non-vanilla factions. Hellfire Legion, Exiles, Gallia, to name the first that come to my mind. For a base to be of a particular affiliation however there needs to be an NPC faction for the respective faction - Even if an official faction uses a different ID, the game still uses a particular IFF (AFC - Freelancer, using your example). Since AFC doesn't have that, to make an AFC NPC base, a new IFF would need to be created. In theory, it is possible, but that's a pretty big change, even without considering the new base, ergo the same applies that I said above, only not limited to the storyline team, but all devs.

If you want to hear my personal opinion: I don't see it happening. While you're always free to request something, I highly doubt that it is worth the effort.
What I mean by working along side is like asking questions b/c experience and help in making right choices to then submit.

Anyway, I was not asking for your personal opinion. I was more interested in if it is possible/doable.

I guess what I got out of this though is that the dev team would be interested in adding a npc like gallics that do not give much pros in the server but a small thing that wouldn't change or influence much would be taken as "dont even try"?

I dont see what huge change you are talking bout that it would make. I dont see what is the reasoning behind "its not going to happen".
Anyway again I am not interested in opinions. Im interested in facts. To say that it isn't worth the effort is quite similar to the feeling of disheartening that in a rp server you cannot achieve something using rp. Just a flat out dont even try.

Then again, there is a first for everything. I already proved that once at least.
Well, I did explain why it's very unlikely that it's going to happen. A new IFF, a new base, a new faction to consider in storyline development et cetera. While it is possible to work "alongside a dev" with requests, advice from the respective dev should be taken.
I don't think the devs are planning on adding any new NPC factions. Furthermore I don't think AFC is anywhere near large enough to have an NPC presence, they seem like more of a group of Freelancers if anything.
Player Factions are not intended to receive personal bases and npcs. That only was done with very long established faction and even then it was a mistake, see RoS.

Now ask yourself, do you consider AFC to be lore material? Do you believe you make an impact enough to be echoed through Discovery forever, including other servers?
It's a whole different thing than a player faction.

If you really, really want your own personal iff, there is the Dynamic IFFs you've seen in use by the TAZ, and could it have been avoided I would have prefered that as it was more of a sanction than anything.
(02-12-2016, 04:33 PM)Alley Wrote: [ -> ]Now ask yourself, do you consider AFC to be lore material? Do you believe you make an impact enough to be echoed through Discovery forever, including other servers?
It's a whole different thing than a player faction.

If you really, really want your own personal iff, there is the Dynamic IFFs you've seen in use by the TAZ, and could it have been avoided I would have prefered that as it was more of a sanction than anything.

Thank you for shedding some light on this.
I had not thought about the fact that it would be moved to other servers as well.
I dont wish to have anything spectacular or enlarged, mind you. My 'big plans' are not towards the direction of making another Gallia-like presence.

Anyway, thanks Alley for showing me why it is considered a big change in that sense.

(02-12-2016, 04:19 PM)Char Aznable Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I did explain why it's very unlikely that it's going to happen. A new IFF, a new base, a new faction to consider in storyline development et cetera. While it is possible to work "alongside a dev" with requests, advice from the respective dev should be taken.

You probably are thinking i am asking for much, though all i'm interested is just something to complete what i'm trying to do.
A tiny installation somewhere perhaps, or just a place to call home that others wouldn't be saying : No it is not just your home. It is mine too.

PoBs have solved the issue for that to an extent, though, and for that I am grateful.

So no... i am not trying to effect your storyline at all.
Now that this question has been solved - next question Wink
(02-12-2016, 03:17 AM)Char Aznable Wrote: [ -> ]This is not a discussion thread
I know that discussions are important, but this thread here is to be used for dialogue only. Lengthy discussions will be invised, so please leave them be.

Posts removed for the above.
Why is Capetown in o-94?
Pages: 1 2 3 4