Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: About Shields
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heya,

I once again wanted to do something fancy, and noticed there are some seemingly unused shield-sounds inside vanilla FL. (sh_bw01-03 and sh_pi02-03; sh_pi01 is the one used for class 9 and 10 shields, with the hexagonal effect when it gets hit)

Now, I looked into the effects.ini to see if they really weren't used, and stumbled over this weirdness:
Code:
[Effect]
nickname = gf_pi_shield01
effect_type = EFT_DAMAGE_SHIELD
snd_effect = sh_bw01
vis_effect = gf_pi_shield01
[Effect]
nickname = gf_pi_shield02
snd_effect = sh_bw01
vis_effect = gf_pi_shield02
[Effect]
nickname = gf_pi_shield03
snd_effect = sh_bw01
vis_effect = gf_pi_shield03

Those are the entries for the effect gf_pi_shield01-03, as seen in effects.ini.

Code:
[ShieldGenerator]
nickname = shield01_mark10_hf
shield_hit_effects = 0, gf_pi_shield01
shield_hit_effects = 100, gf_pi_shield02
shield_hit_effects = 500, gf_pi_shield03

And this is the entry in st_equip.ini.

But in the effect, the defined sound, sh_bw01, is not the one you hear ingame. The one actually heard is sh_pi01. Does anyone knows why and how this happens? Do note this is not only in vanilla, but also in disco and some other mod I tried.
Nevermind, I'm stupid. Found the reason.

In sound.ini there is the following entry:

Code:
[Sound]
nickname = sh_bw01
file = audio\sounds\fx\sh_pi01.wav
attenuation = -9
range = 20, 300
crv_pitch = 2

Apparently that is some weirdness from the original FL, where the devs seemed to have messed up the different callsigns for all the sounds ("bw" and "pi" in that case.)
there are lots of sounds that freelancer has that doesnt use or are connected in ways which are unfinished.

making sounds link to their correct sound file caused alot of split kippers in the community, lol.
I was wondering where all the different shield effects from vanilla went. I guess someone was just lazy and made them all look the same or such.

Hm...wonder if it is a problem with anti-cheat if I go change them around a bit.

So far I have changed the sound when you pass through a tradelane link to the originally intended, but never used, tradelane-whoosh instead of the "asteroid hit" sound. No more "BANG" but instead a "whoop" when flying through tradelanes..
I'd wish I'd be able to make my very own sound effects, but I do genuinely suck at doing so. That's why I try to salvage all the stuff that is allready there.

What exactly is a "split kipper"?
Another question regarding shields:

Is it possible to add a whole new type of shields to weaponmoddb.ini?

It's fairly easy to add a new type of weapon, but does the same work for shields too?
There are different (defined) sounds for thrusters too, while in reality they all use one generic sound. Just unfinished/scrapped stuff.

Oh and yeah, Rogue ships are in the \Corsair folder, Corsair ships are in the \Pirate folder. #JustFreelancerThings. This is probably a similar issue?