Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: An idea i have to make wars in discovery easier
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, I was playing battlefield 1942 a few days ago, when i got the idea of implementing captureable positions in systems, like tradelanes, jumpgates, bases,...

Now, i started searching a bit in the game folders of battlefield and SW Battlefront to take a look at the coding used to do so, and i think i figured it out.

The basic principle is the same as for battlefield, but instead of flags, i used buoys. I then made it so that the object(base, tradelane,...) linked to the buoy follows the same "loyalty" of the person who captured it.

I did all these changes in the original freelancer, and only for newark station. Though i have to admit it still has alot of bugs in it, i did actualy manage to make it's loyalty change depending to the person who captures the buoy.

Now, it may sound like i did it in no time at all, it still took me about 10 hours to do it, and it still is far from perfect, but right now i have a few questions:

1) What do you guys think about my idea? can you see it work in discovery?

2) Do i need special permissions to start modding discovery files to try and perfect it for discovery? Ofcourse i won't publish it myself, but should discovery publish it, i would like credit for my work (that is if it works, i can't guaranty that i will be successfull in my task)
' Wrote:can you see it work in discovery?

Simple answer? No.

Imagine all the caphoars invading Rheinland overnight, taking control over all buoys. :mellow:
This would gear Discovery into a PvP server. Would be fun to see it happen though.
' Wrote:This would gear Discovery into a PvP server. Would be fun to see it happen though.

If we still had a running PvP Server that could run a *slightly* different mod, or if this could run only server-side and it still work... Then I could see it working.

Unfortunately, we don't.
Why don't we just use an auto updater for our server? I don't know if it works very well, but I know that someone created one for FL, and I think it would be really nice if it would be possible to, say, RP an event in which Bretonia manages to capture a station from the Kusarians and it would actually become at least undockable for some time? Greater RP-events with some forum impact could affect gameplay too then regularly, not just bring a couple of changes with each mod version.
well, we alrdy have the weekly events, " bretonia's vrs KNF " ect ect
but "if" we ever got a auto updater you could do what guild wars does in alliance battles where, you fight for one place and then you go further into the enemies space.
If the enemies won that battle you would be back to the first battle and if they won again you would be defending.
But you would have to have a slight advantage for defending.
I dont think i explained it very well, but you might see what im getting at ^_^
maybe adding a bouy "reset" every hour or 2 to RP the main fleet elements (NPCs) coming and kicking the stuffing out of the invading force?

I like this idea, don't write it off right away.

I know Freeworlds does a lot with base conquering and all that, they might be more interested in this then we are.

also, make sure you edit a backup file so you don't get kicked/banned for cheating. finally, Igiss has said that you need aproval from him to modify the disco mod and use all its contents as your own for your own mod/server.
that's what i needed to know mwerte, but i'm not planning to start it with the disco mod right now, still have a ton of buggs to find and solve.

also i was thinking about making the buoys lockable for admins, so that factions would first need to ask permission and arange a battle, before it can actually be fought
If you ask me, I love this idea. Keep trying to get this on discovery. Discovery needs some more unique things to look forward to in it, and this idea will be one of them. Now like mwerte mentioned with the time reset etc..in my opinion this should only be used on special events such as battleslots. This idea has alot of potential and it would bring discovery up another notch if it was implemented.
If you edit Discovery files, you should be fine.

If you publish said files, then no, not fine and you need permission from Igiss to do so.

And I think this would be a pretty cool idea. Keep pursuing it!
Pages: 1 2