Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Dumping Skype
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
This New System is what we as a community should be looking at moving to instead of skype, I don't know about the rest of you but over the past few weeks skypelag has become almost a daily issue for some of the chats I am in

However the sticking point is no one wants to use two systems instead of just one, so would the community at large be willing to trade from skype to discordapp?
Too much hassle tbh.
http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread...ht=discord

P.S. They just added friend lists for everyone, so you can keep personal contacts of others now.

Not sure they have implemented quote functions yet.
If the system has the same features (including moderation features) as Skype, as well as fixing a lot of the problems with the Skype architecture, then I'm in.

Otherwise, I don't see the point.
Even if some agree, many would not. People are just too lazy to move from Skype to Discord. Not just that but Skype is where most of our things are so.....
(03-18-2016, 05:12 PM)John Wildkins Wrote: [ -> ]If the system has the same features (including moderation features) as Skype, as well as fixing a lot of the problems with the Skype architecture, then I'm in.

Otherwise, I don't see the point.

This and.....

(03-18-2016, 05:12 PM)Darius The Ganker Wrote: [ -> ]Even if some agree, many would not. People are just too lazy to move from Skype to Discord. Not just that but Skype is where most of our things are so.....

This
No. I do not use Skype for Discovery only, so it is quite pointless for me to have two separate softwares fulfilling the very same job.
Here's the thing: the TS server isn't going anywhere and nobody uses skype for the call feature except on rare occasions or for screensharing. Take all that away and you have nothing but another text client that doesn't have all the chats and contacts that we have on Skype, and once thats in the way- theres no real reason to switch unless skypelag is so horrendous for you that you can't bear it. Personally I don't get skypelag that often unless im on my phone, and my PC isn't a toaster so I can handle the odd memory leak.

Ignoring all above: is there really a reason to swap?
I took a look at the features post that Protege made a while ago, and it seems like it might actually be a grand improvement on the system, especially for faction chats. I'm not sure if it fixes the lag problems, as we'd have to test that on a larger scale first.

Still, the community's been stuck in Skype for years. If Discord is as good as it seems to be, then perhaps a move is in order, but we'd need to get everyone behind it first.
Absolutely not. Skype is convenient, even if buggy at times.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5