Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: I have run out of ideas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, so this morning my internet wouldn't work on my desktop. BUT, I could log into Xfire. Which I find extremely odd.

Here is what I have done.

Booted computer in safe mode with networking - No go
Removed any and all programs that could be blocking the connection
Tried WinSockXPFix and repaired TCP/IP tables
Windows Repair
Checked network cable
Tried a different NIC card (External)
System restore
Router Reset (Also, ISP says there are no known problems in the area)

After the WinSock XP Fix, my internet works fine, I can connect to anything and everything. But as soon as I reboot. It all goes dog again. Same happens after system restore.

I'm thinking a trojan is causing trouble...But I can't be sure. Has anyone got any other ideas I can try?

I don't want to format...I really really don't.
Virus scan and hope its not a trojan, if not take it to a shop and see what they can do..
A Complete Spyware and Virius scan perhaps of all your Hard Drives?
' Wrote:take it to a shop
LOL

Virus scan is really kind of pointless as I have done a system restore back to a few days ago...

I do have an image of my drive, but its a few weeks old :|
If you think malware might be the problem, try various security solutions such as different antivirus programs, antispyware, there's plenty out there.

Free Antivirus
AVG 8 (includes anti-spyware)
Avira AntiVir
Avast! Personal Edition

Also, ZoneAlarm might help any(more) nasty code getting into your PC.

Hope this helps
I had the corporate version of ESET NOD32. It found nothing.

Avast found Nothing...

AVG found nothing...

:(
Reinstall Drivers for Networking?
I had a similar porblem and couldn't connect to the internet. So I reinstalled the network adapter Drivers from my motherboard CD.
' Wrote:Reinstall Drivers for Nextworking?
I had a similar porblem and couldn't connect to the internet. So I reinstalled the network Drivers from my motherboard CD.
I would say that was a good idea. And it is.

But I have tried another NIC card with fresh drivers, and got the same result with the other one.:(
Take it to the shop..... or get a new computer your choice.
' Wrote:Take it to the shop..... or get a new computer your choice.
Thanks...But "Shop" is not an option. And the computer i better than alot of other computers used to access these boards.

Oh and wireless works. Maybe try another cable:unsure:
Pages: 1 2