Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: WWII ship look-a-likes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
well i like World war II myself, and i(including others) would like to see more WWII look-a-like ships in Discovery. like Carriers and Battleships to Destroyers and Battlecrusiers. i see there is a Flak project already going ahead with.

Carriers: like the BSG mod, you could make a docking thing so someone can dock with a carrier. carriers have their main weapons as Flak turrets. would be a great idea for the Carriers to be added to discovery mod. Flat-bed looking carriers would be apopreate for Discovery.(more of a role play idea)

Battleships: can also have Flak turrets but a lot less then the carriers(2flak turrets) compared against bombers.

more boat looking ships would be great in my idea. since they rely on a Navy(eg. Liberty navy) they need more boat looking ships. like the Liberty Dreg. is a good look for future look.

this idea is to make it more Naval look towards the Old War machines in World war II
[Image: Akagi.gif]
IJN Akagi
[Image: CV_05_USS_YORKTOWN_1940.jpg]
USS Yorktown

thank you for Reading my post.
I was thinking of designing a liberty carrier which is shaped alot like the american navy carriers, but then i saw the atlantis is being designed so the liberty carrier spot is taken i guess.
Ehh... that deck on the Yorktown sure is spammed...

I suggest ot add Ships that look like WWII Batteshihps. There are some animation series using sich Ships:
BattleShip Yamato
Arcadia - The pirate ship of Captain Harlock (This one ROCKs!!!!)
The current designs often incorporate aspects of naval design, but to base a whole spaceship on a terrestrial ship would not be practical. They are designed with a different purpose.
Spaceships need to be fully enclosed, and have to withstand pressure from inside. Terrestrial ships, on the other hand, only have to be sealed from the bottom, and have to resist external pressure. Even if compared to a submarine, a spaceship (well, a capital ship-fighters look like aeroplanes) still suffers from the fact that at no point will it be in a situation where people can walk on the outside, unprotected (ie: a submarine on the surface).

So, by all means, incorporate aspects of naval vessels into the ships, just don't make the entire thing look like the Yorktown or the Akagi.
Well I just have to say that I completely agree with the idea of dockable capital ships(i.e. carriers)....They don't need to look like WWII ships..but RP-wise it would be more realistic if we could dock on carriers...cause we can already dock on static battleships(such as Missouri, Hood,...)
' Wrote:Well I just have to say that I completely agree with the idea of dockable capital ships(i.e. carriers)....They don't need to look like WWII ships..but RP-wise it would be more realistic if we could dock on carriers...cause we can already dock on static battleships(such as Missouri, Hood,...)

i dont mean make them look like the Yorktown or something, but to make it more Si-fi look to it you know?
something like a bit of a boat shape or something.
' Wrote:Well I just have to say that I completely agree with the idea of dockable capital ships(i.e. carriers)....They don't need to look like WWII ships..but RP-wise it would be more realistic if we could dock on carriers...cause we can already dock on static battleships(such as Missouri, Hood,...)

And so does 90% of the community. Except it makes servers crash. Just imagine, you dock on a player who's connection crashes or leaves without notice? Poof go's the server.

Also, why would the navies in the freelancer universe us WW2 look alike ships? They probaply don't even know what it is or when it happened. And even if they did, i doubt they would whoop over their shipline to get a "shiny new" one resembling old eart-bound ships.
Quote:And so does 90% of the community. Except it makes servers crash. Just imagine, you dock on a player who's connection crashes or leaves without notice? Poof go's the server.

That has been solved. All the issues have been solved with it. Lag apparantly is the only issue left but I'd still like to test it out to see if that's right or not.
' Wrote:That has been solved. All the issues have been solved with it. Lag apparantly is the only issue left but I'd still like to test it out to see if that's right or not.

Good to hear..Is this verified info?
Well it could be tested i think..if not on disco well then on a temporary server maybe, created just for this purpose and to stop existing once the testing's done?
Pages: 1 2