Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Cannot save games - new Discovery installation on Windows 10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. I installed Freelancer and Discovery in my Win 10 desktop a few days ago for the first time, including Dis. 4.88.1 and played Freelancer for the first time in many years. Thank you very much for making that possible.

My issue at this time is that I cannot save any games. Each time I think I saved a game, and exit, when I come back, there is nothing saved. I also do not think I know how to connect to servers either. Please Help.

Thank you.

Klauss
To fix a particularly annoying issue, the launcher automatically deletes SP save files. If you want to play SP, then I believe the best option is to just launch the game directly from Freelancer.exe in the Discovery directory. Default installation location is somewhere in Appdata.

If you click on multiplayer and then internet, a list of servers should pop up. If they don't try refreshing and waiting.
Thank you very much.
as stated above the game will keep deleting those files,however you could launch a server on your pc(after you disabled ipv6) or i suppose if you want to play freelancer campaign/vanilla you could backup those save games after you make them and paste them when you want to play again...
(04-05-2016, 06:12 AM)Hannibal Wrote: [ -> ]as stated above the game will keep deleting those files,however you could launch a server on your pc(after you disabled ipv6) or i suppose if you want to play freelancer campaign/vanilla you could backup those save games after you make them and paste them when you want to play again...

Thank you for your advice. I am still trying to play SP stand alone and saving each mission or trade trip. Recently, Win 10 screwed up and I had to create a new user name/profile and move my files from the disabeled user name/profile. the saved missions are gone.

1. I was wondering if you happen to know the name of file or files where saved missions are kept. I did do use Freelancer from within Discovery as advised above.

2. Before win 10 shut down, I noticed that some mission and trips top edge/Gallia/other periphery worlds kept shutting freelancer Discovery down and I had to start over and revert to an earlier saved point.

Thanks.

Klauss
If you're trying to play Vanilla SP, it's probably a good idea to make a new user on your computer just to do it with, as the savegames are saved in your My Games folder in your Documents. By using a different user, you avoid the Discovery Launcher deleting your saves.
Best way is just to open Freelancer not from launcher, but directly from Freelancer.exe file in folder. Then your saves will be saved. And after that when you open game from that file again they will be there. Just if you want after that to play multiplayer, make copy of saved files and then open launcher. Cheers
I was so exited to play Freelancer again after all these years, however, after trying all the fixes, I still can't get it to retain, or recover a saved game. Also, I can never find a multiplayer server that works. SO disappointed... total waste of time.