Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Ethereum mining/Ethash
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, guys. Recently I noticed that I have a folder in my user/appdata/local/ethash which contained two files labeled only file with no extension, each about 1.4gb. I've read that it's ethereum mining related, however I have not used such apps, I do not notice any abnormal processes running, and my processes monitor tells me the files were created by the windows explorer. My GPU and CPU are running on normal load. Malware bites, Adware remover, Nod32 all say my PC is clean. That said I do not understand the concept of mining. Does anyone know where the files come from and what exactly is this bitcoin mining?
Did you by any chance use Utorrent/Have Utorrent installed on your PC?

Utorrent has been packed with a nasty Bitcoin miner for a few months, and I would definetly recommend uninstalling it and deleting whatever related files it created!
(04-27-2016, 08:51 PM)r3vange Wrote: [ -> ]That said I do not understand the concept of mining. Does anyone know where the files come from and what exactly is this bitcoin mining?
Bitcoin mining, in essence, uses up your computer's processing power in order to process bitcoin transactions in exchange for new bitcoins. Mind you, that stopped being profitable a long time ago because the number of bitcoins remaining in the system is capped at a set amount, so you get less in bitcoins than what you pay for electricity for instance.
Apparently it is indeed Ethereum mining, however the file itself is created by vds.exe which right before it creates it reads Nvidia CUDA dll's...Reeeeeaaaally weird. It all started happening after I updated my driver (through the Nvidia control panel auto updater) So is Nvidia mining my pc?
Ah nevermind, I found it. A trojan masking itself as taskman.exe. Clever bastards