Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Scanner messing with roleplay for newbies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yo.
New players start off with the Scanner.
8000m
4000m

Now imagine this, when they are sitting in the helium field, their range is cut to 4k.
It means people talk to them, but - since local chat is sent to people within YOUR scanner range, the newbies' replies get lost to the void.

It should be suggested to replace the default scanner for all newbie ships sold in Penny with the Deep Scanner.

EDIT: You should probably add a tutorial message just like the "disconnecting during a player interaction" etc, but one regarding chat types. Deep blue for local chat, bright blue for system, green for PMs and such. Otherwise we already see people talking in system, but some newbie replies in local.
When the local chat was implemented a long time ago wasn't it set to like a default of 10 000M?

I mean im sure the old announcements long gone but cant it be set to a static value?
Didn't know that.

The minimum range should be 10k to be playable I think.

So +1 for the idea.
I agree, the basic scanner is practically useless, especially in nebulas. Scrap it and go with the deep scanner.
Good call, Spazzy.
I've always thought it's dumb how we have 99999999999 million 'basic' scanners and then only two decent moneysink scanners (that are the same, but eh). We really should just have one single, universal, cheap scanner that meets the needs of the players and then the Spyglass/BS Scanner that does more for more credits.
(04-29-2016, 06:18 PM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: [ -> ]Good call, Spazzy.
+1. Really don't need things confusing + frustrating newbies.
I thought local was autoset to 14K no matter what scanner you used, because I see messages from people not within my scanner range when I'm not using advanced deep
You can see these messages because the people have good scanners. So you see the people with battleship scanners from everywhere and your group even further.