Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Feedback after one month of actively playing Discovery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Quote:As far as I know, there are some guys who treat the group chat just like the normal role play chat (Hello Nyx!) and that's how it should be, in my opinion. Don't spam your damn ooRP hate about other people on me. Just shut up.

hi.

Just so you know, there's actually a rule about reporting people for not RPing in group-chat if one person demands them to cease OORP chatter.

Quote:2.1 System and local chats are to be kept in roleplay and in English at all times. Any OOC (Out of character) chat should be marked with " // " and only used when absolutely necessary. OOC communication in group or private chat between players will cease if one player requests it. Admins are free to communicate with any player at any time.

also wow taking my awehot's much
Good points all round. Shame you'll be leaving though, because you were a good sport in Core. OoRP hate is a big problem in the community, and Core| does receive its (un)fair share from those who have nothing better to do than hop on the bandwagon and bash for the sake of bashing. As I explained to you in Skype Core| generally likes to keep itself ooRP hate free and prefers not to be the enabler at least, hence why our raids are conducted with fun in mind rather than malicious intent. Although no faction is perfect and admittedly we do have our mistakes. Nonetheless, it is our duty to cultivate the fun and activity in the Edge Worlds as best as we can as a Lawful faction. I'd hope you'd be able to stay within the faction and help us achieve that goal, but alas that is not to be it seems.

My advice is don't let the criticisms of circlejerkers and bandwagoners get into your head too much. In my time here I've begun to easily differentiate between hate-loaded complaints and actually constructive and well thought out ones. Lots of people will just hate you out of spite, jealously or lack of ability to be as successful as you are. Best way to deal with ooRP hate is to ignore it as best as you can.

You might have your slip-ups now and again but try not to dwell on what you've done but what you can do next time to make things better for everyone involved. Generally though you should roleplay for your own enjoyment (or your member's enjoyment if you ever decided to lead a faction Big Grin), not for others. It's your characters, your roleplay and your experience here overall. Make it a good one Wink
(04-29-2016, 05:38 PM)Jayce Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-29-2016, 04:48 PM)Langolier Wrote: [ -> ]P.S. Unless you used Google translate for your post, I have to say that your english is better than most Americans!

Your blatant nationalism doesn't belong in a feedback thread.

I was being sarcastic. I'm american.
(04-29-2016, 04:48 PM)Langolier Wrote: [ -> ]P.S. Unless you used Google translate for your post, I have to say that your english is better than most Americans!

But he's from USA, Jayce. Sad
(04-29-2016, 06:12 PM)Bloodl1ke Wrote: [ -> ]

Thank you!
It's refreshing to see Disco from a newer player's perspective, but your point of view on PvP related matters is disappointing, particularly when it comes to balancing fights.

Most of the time (believe it or not) people don't PvP here to create a nice ambiance to enhance the roleplay environment, or however else you want to swing it. I know of other roleplaying games (hello NWN) where PvP, if it happens at all, is just something to add to the more 'wordy' forms of roleplay, but you would be hard pressed to argue that the same is true here. PvP is still roleplay, in my book - it's very often the most valid, accurate, and iRP response to a character encountering another character he or she is diplomatically hostile to - but at the end of the day, it's the mechanics of the fight and the ooRP gameplay involved that keeps people doing it. We are very fortunate on Discovery to have a surprisingly robust and functional combat system, with a reasonable level of balance being present across the board.

Quote:But seriously, don't expect me to not shoot snubs when you come to me and shoot at the snubs that are with me. They are allied with me. It doesn't make any sense to just stay around and see how my little snub friends get smacked by hostile snubs just because I'm a Mako and are, in your point of view, not allowed to react to hostile snubs? I mean, why then did I buy Solaris Gattlings and Flaks? Those things are especially to kill snubs. I agree, battles should always be balanced. 10 vs 1 is unfair. But when you do roleplay and enter the enemies domain, also roleplaying, don't expect a mysterious force to shut down all capital weapons in all of a sudden. If your battle group is about to loose, retreat or take it. You should be able to handle PvP within a roleplay behavior that makes sense.

This paragraph in particular is actually annoying, to say the least. I don't know if you fly snubs at all (although I do know your primary - and perhaps only? - character is a Mako, which goes some way towards explaining this attitude IMO) but generally, players are not in the habit of logging tiny little fragile ships that die to a moment's inattention just to feed into your roleplay as you spew Solaris over their screen. That might be fun for you, but it's not for the players on the other end. At the end of the day, not taking a dump on someone else's day should always trump the sanctity of your roleplay. In fact, to be perfectly blunt about it - although it's just an opinion - if you're ever playing with standards that elevate your personal (or group's) roleplay over basic decencies like minding fair play and/or respecting the enjoyment of others, then it's my personal view that you have your priorities seriously out of joint. The person on the other end of the screen doesn't care if you have to gainsay your roleplay a little to allow him/her to get something out of bothering to log his combat ship.
(04-29-2016, 06:15 PM)Langolier Wrote: [ -> ]

Thank you!

That doesn't make a difference.

Self-deprecating nationalism. (worry)
Great words overall, glad you're enjoying your time here. Raised some fair points about the current state of Freelancer, the Discovery mod and community as a whole. There's 1 thing I'd like to throw my opinion on though.

(04-29-2016, 03:43 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]And I usually play very roleplay focused with my Mako. But seriously, don't expect me to not shoot snubs when you come to me and shoot at the snubs that are with me. They are allied with me. It doesn't make any sense to just stay around and see how my little snub friends get smacked by hostile snubs just because I'm a Mako and are, in your point of view, not allowed to react to hostile snubs? I mean, why then did I buy Solaris Gattlings and Flaks? Those things are especially to kill snubs.You should be able to handle PvP within a roleplay behavior that makes sense. "If you want fair fights and duels, go to Connecticut" - Don't blame other people for using ships that are not the same class as your's.

First, let's get the basic fact out of the way. The main reason we all play this game is to have fun. One of the most common ways of ruining someone else's fun is ganking, which is why it's such a controversial topic. I personally despise ganking because it creates a lose-lose scenario. I have no fun in ganking people with overwhelming force in which they have no way of winning because of multiple reasons, most notable ones being that it removes any kind of challenge and I feel bad for making the people I'm fighting feel bad. As for the side getting ganked, there's no need to explain anything - you won't have fun, ever. An important thing to notice here - do not use inRP excuse when ganking someone, "just because it makes sense". This is a game and as I've stated before, we play it to have fun. You should, as a human being with morals, try to ensure that both sides are enjoying it. The morals aspect should always come before "inRP sense".

Whenever you feel like you're ganking someone (which is a problem of its own, quite a few people don't understand what forces are needed for something to become a gank and they aren't aware that they're actually ganking ), put yourself in their position. See if you would have a chance and enjoy getting shot by that force you have right now. That's by far the easiest and probably most accurate way of determining it. A tip though - remove the "but I would do it in real life / it makes sense inRP" part while doing it because nobody will acknowledge it as an excuse. You'll see that, for example, throwing Mako into a balanced snub fight isn't fun for the other side, not one bit. So what if your snubs are getting shot at? As long as they are somewhat equal in numbers you definitely shouldn't throw your battleship into the fight. If they started dying, it's their fault for being worse than the other side. In the meantime you can either log something else that won't turn the fight into a gank (i.e. another snub) or just stand there and watch. And so what if they die? It's just a blue message in a virtual game, there's no reason to ruin everyone's fun because of it.
(04-29-2016, 05:45 PM)Auzari Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:As far as I know, there are some guys who treat the group chat just like the normal role play chat (Hello Nyx!) and that's how it should be, in my opinion. Don't spam your damn ooRP hate about other people on me. Just shut up.

hi.

Just so you know, there's actually a rule about reporting people for not RPing in group-chat if one person demands them to cease OORP chatter.

Quote:2.1 System and local chats are to be kept in roleplay and in English at all times. Any OOC (Out of character) chat should be marked with " // " and only used when absolutely necessary. OOC communication in group or private chat between players will cease if one player requests it. Admins are free to communicate with any player at any time.

also wow taking my awehot's much

Awehot.

(04-29-2016, 06:17 PM)Omicega Wrote: [ -> ]It's refreshing to see Disco from a newer player's perspective, but your point of view on PvP related matters is disappointing, particularly when it comes to balancing fights.

Most of the time (believe it or not) people don't PvP here to create a nice ambiance to enhance the roleplay environment, or however else you want to swing it. I know of other roleplaying games (hello NWN) where PvP, if it happens at all, is just something to add to the more 'wordy' forms of roleplay, but you would be hard pressed to argue that the same is true here. PvP is still roleplay, in my book - it's very often the most valid, accurate, and iRP response to a character encountering another character he or she is diplomatically hostile to - but at the end of the day, it's the mechanics of the fight and the ooRP gameplay involved that keeps people doing it. We are very fortunate on Discovery to have a surprisingly robust and functional combat system, with a reasonable level of balance being present across the board.

Quote:But seriously, don't expect me to not shoot snubs when you come to me and shoot at the snubs that are with me. They are allied with me. It doesn't make any sense to just stay around and see how my little snub friends get smacked by hostile snubs just because I'm a Mako and are, in your point of view, not allowed to react to hostile snubs? I mean, why then did I buy Solaris Gattlings and Flaks? Those things are especially to kill snubs. I agree, battles should always be balanced. 10 vs 1 is unfair. But when you do roleplay and enter the enemies domain, also roleplaying, don't expect a mysterious force to shut down all capital weapons in all of a sudden. If your battle group is about to loose, retreat or take it. You should be able to handle PvP within a roleplay behavior that makes sense.

This paragraph in particular is actually annoying, to say the least. I don't know if you fly snubs at all (although I do know your primary - and perhaps only? - character is a Mako, which goes some way towards explaining this attitude IMO) but generally, players are not in the habit of logging tiny little fragile ships that die to a moment's inattention just to feed into your roleplay as you spew Solaris over their screen. That might be fun for you, but it's not for the players on the other end. At the end of the day, not taking a dump on someone else's day should always trump the sanctity of your roleplay. In fact, to be perfectly blunt about it - although it's just an opinion - if you're ever playing with standards that elevate your personal (or group's) roleplay over basic decencies like minding fair play and/or respecting the enjoyment of others, then it's my personal view that you have your priorities seriously out of joint. The person on the other end of the screen doesn't care if you have to gainsay your roleplay a little to allow him/her to get something out of bothering to log his combat ship.

You're overexaggerating.

As far as I know, this whole thing is one of the most controverse topics here. I don't know if I didn't make myself clear on that, but I will try to explain. First of all, I'm never the one that does the first shot. I'm not after blues like others are. And I totally agree that both sides should have fun when it comes to PvP. But! First of all, the Solaris Gatling - my Mako uses five of them - have very low accuracy. They also have low damage output, thanks to the low accuracy. It's not like they, by any chance, are able to fast-kill something. Then, my Mako uses two Flak guns. They are, indeed, effective against snubs, but have two flaws: they consume very much energy from the power core (and the Mako has, compared to any other Battleship-sized vessels, a very ineffective power core) and also using those things will risk to hit my own guys. The projectiles are slow, the AoE-range his high. 7-10 shots of those Flaks and the core is drained, and if those shots hit snubs, their shields also. There's no way a Mako can insta-kill something with both of those weapons, and using primarys is too slow, not even need to talk about mortars. My ship doesn't use razors. I agree, those things are evil to snubs. InRP, using Solaris Gatlings makes sense and I don't intend to change it. That about the weaponry itself. Just to remember a Mako is no Liberty Carrier with a ridiculous amount of turrets.

So, to give an example, when your group, be it a mixed group of both snubs and capitals or just a snub group, comes to my place, where I am currently staying with allies/friendly/neutrals, and you see there is a battleship that potencially could assist it's friends, why would you still engage and hope that doesn't happen, without any clearification about "you're here to have a fair fight"? Also, even if you engage a group that has a capital ship with anti-snub-weaponry, then why do you expect it to not use those weapons? They are part of this mod. Also, when you engage, why would you be mad about it? You have snubs! You are faster than a capital ship. A Mako doesn't even have a booster. You could easily take your distance from a battleship. Bring the battle to another place, like asteroid fields or nebulae. Snubs are absolutely in advantage when it comes to a field like the Kiribati Asteroid Field in Omicron Delta, where little static rocks make ANY bigger vessel instantly stop.

Usually, and I still can only talk about my personal view, I even let the people know that the Battleship switches to anti-snub-weaponry. And those Solaris Gatlings are more to make a bit pressure than to deal real damage.

I understand the frustration about desperately seeking fair fights, but that's something that needs to be in balance with adequate role play. InRP, a snub group wouldn't attack a battleship protected group without having the ability to deal with a battleship, be it a bomber, VHF-torpedos or another battleship or something. And inRP, most people wouldn't desperately seek a one-way-battle. Even if so, I will be the last person to deny the wish of a fair battle, if people really wanted it that way. That has to be clearified before the whole battle begins. Without making rules, don't expect everyone to play along your rules.
(04-29-2016, 06:42 PM)Jayce Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-29-2016, 06:15 PM)Langolier Wrote: [ -> ]

Thank you!

That doesn't make a difference.

Self-deprecating nationalism. (worry)

I guess sarcasm is just lost on some people...*sigh*
Pages: 1 2 3 4