Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Hello there! Mind if I throw in a couple newbie questions too?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there, I go under the forum name Nightcaper, though my character names will definitely be different. One of my friends pointed me in the direction of Discovery Freelancer, I've never extensively played the game beyond the first few missions with King. I have experience in roleplay within other games, though my issue always tends to be understanding the world, the limitations imposed as part of the lore and the way things work, and in general what I can and cannot do. I wanted to get some questions out of the way so my first few days actually roleplaying here won't be embarassing for me.

I read the rules (as much as I could commit to memory), and I've been playing the server similar to how I was playing the original Freelancer for the time that I had in that single player portion. As in, I was doing missions, getting cash, and upgrading my ship. I usually read as I play, so while playing I've studied a little bit of the wiki. I want to apply my character to the LPI ideally, however I think I have made a few mistakes:

- I worked up the money and purchased an Executioner, which I have only now learned that that ship is mostly meant for higher rankings in the official player faction for LPI.

- Reputation is not an issue, I think I sorted that out good while I was using the Recruit ID. I'm on the best terms with LPI and the Navy. However, I want to get the Police ID, which is available to me now, but I'm unsure if that's restricted to the player faction LPI. I read the wiki page on 'Independents', but I do not know LPI's policy towards Independents. I prefer to be in the faction, but I am unsure if I can actually apply, given that I have little experience with the game outside of dogfighting and the basics.

- As mentioned above, my challenges are understanding the universe of any certain roleplay theme quickly. There's so much for me to digest, it's rare that I'll have all the facts when I first roleplay, so I typically make small mistakes. At times I can feel overwhelmed by the details and unsure if I'll grasp them all when the time comes that it must be used.

So I have a bit of uncertainty and fear about the path I've been taking, and I want to ensure that I get on the right path from the start with the community's help. My goals are to join LPI with my first character, however will having an Executioner be a problem? How would I take care of this problem? In the future, should I not buy ships like this unless there's roleplay believably? I have also seen some detail in LPI applications I've read and feel a bit discouraged about what my character's background exactly is, with so little knowledge of the roleplay universe at this time. At the same time, I don't want to be held back as a Recruit ID and not contributing to roleplay; I really want to join LPI.

Are there any resources I could be referred to that might help me gain a bit more confidence in my understanding of this roleplay universe? Any tips regarding the Executioner ship? Other advice in general? Kinda feeling like the new kid in school right now, and I don't wanna step on a landmine.

Thank you in advance for any answers, and I hope my time here will be great, and that I'll have interesting roleplay experiences and learn more along the way.

EDIT: I forgot about one more question. The missions my character has carried out were against LPI's most common enemies, Rogues. Is action against NPCs acknowledged in RP? e.g: If I were to make an application, would the clearing house missions I did against the Rogues count as any qualification, or is it effectively moot?
(05-03-2016, 07:01 PM)Nightcaper Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there, I go under the forum name Nightcaper, though my character names will definitely be different. One of my friends pointed me in the direction of Discovery Freelancer, I've never extensively played the game beyond the first few missions with King. I have experience in roleplay within other games, though my issue always tends to be understanding the world, the limitations imposed as part of the lore and the way things work, and in general what I can and cannot do. I wanted to get some questions out of the way so my first few days actually roleplaying here won't be embarassing for me.

I read the rules (as much as I could commit to memory), and I've been playing the server similar to how I was playing the original Freelancer for the time that I had in that single player portion. As in, I was doing missions, getting cash, and upgrading my ship. I usually read as I play, so while playing I've studied a little bit of the wiki. I want to apply my character to the LPI ideally, however I think I have made a few mistakes:

- I worked up the money and purchased an Executioner, which I have only now learned that that ship is mostly meant for higher rankings in the official player faction for LPI.

- Reputation is not an issue, I think I sorted that out good while I was using the Recruit ID. I'm on the best terms with LPI and the Navy. However, I want to get the Police ID, which is available to me now, but I'm unsure if that's restricted to the player faction LPI. I read the wiki page on 'Independents', but I do not know LPI's policy towards Independents. I prefer to be in the faction, but I am unsure if I can actually apply, given that I have little experience with the game outside of dogfighting and the basics.

- As mentioned above, my challenges are understanding the universe of any certain roleplay theme quickly. There's so much for me to digest, it's rare that I'll have all the facts when I first roleplay, so I typically make small mistakes. At times I can feel overwhelmed by the details and unsure if I'll grasp them all when the time comes that it must be used.

So I have a bit of uncertainty and fear about the path I've been taking, and I want to ensure that I get on the right path from the start with the community's help. My goals are to join LPI with my first character, however will having an Executioner be a problem? How would I take care of this problem? In the future, should I not buy ships like this unless there's roleplay believably? I have also seen some detail in LPI applications I've read and feel a bit discouraged about what my character's background exactly is, with so little knowledge of the roleplay universe at this time. At the same time, I don't want to be held back as a Recruit ID and not contributing to roleplay; I really want to join LPI.

Are there any resources I could be referred to that might help me gain a bit more confidence in my understanding of this roleplay universe? Any tips regarding the Executioner ship? Other advice in general? Kinda feeling like the new kid in school right now, and I don't wanna step on a landmine.

Thank you in advance for any answers, and I hope my time here will be great, and that I'll have interesting roleplay experiences and learn more along the way.

EDIT: I forgot about one more question. The missions my character has carried out were against LPI's most common enemies, Rogues. Is action against NPCs acknowledged in RP? e.g: If I were to make an application, would the clearing house missions I did against the Rogues count as any qualification, or is it effectively moot?

Having an Executioner and a LPI ID shouldn't be a problem. I know for a fact that the ID is encouraged over that of the Recruit ID, as the Recruit one is only used for starting characters.

Here's a few links that should help... (I'd help provide more information other than this but I'm mainly a Bretonia / Gallia player.)

Liberty Laws
Liberty Police Inc. General Forum
Liberty Government General Forums
Sunbucks Cafe (An LPI Roleplay Thread
(05-03-2016, 07:01 PM)Nightcaper Wrote: [ -> ]- Reputation is not an issue, I think I sorted that out good while I was using the Recruit ID. I'm on the best terms with LPI and the Navy. However, I want to get the Police ID, which is available to me now, but I'm unsure if that's restricted to the player faction LPI. I read the wiki page on 'Independents', but I do not know LPI's policy towards Independents. I prefer to be in the faction, but I am unsure if I can actually apply
The LPI have their own ID that is an "Official Faction ID" all the Official factions do. That Police ID you got is a generic LPI indie ID. Don't be afraid to apply. There's plenty of people who have successful RP characters that aren't the "PVP god" type. Wolf's Ghost gave you the best links. Also, check out the Communication Channel and the Community & Server Rules about Out of Role Play (OORP or OOC) chat and Conduct in game .

Good luck and Welcome to Discovery Gaming Community.
Thank you for all the advice, guys. I put in my application just a minute ago. So much more I wanted to add to the biography, a whole story in my mind... but, I'm sure I'll find a chance to tell it all in RP. Wish me luck in getting accepted, and thanks for boosting my confidence! Big Grin